Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience or even seen the superior arms lowers. I ran across some for a decent price and was seeking opinions on them. Good quality? functional? match well with various uppers?

thanks

odn

You might want to ask on the forum at m4carbine.net; or ar15.com. I see people building on them every now and then, but I have no personal experience with their lowers. All I really know is they're cheap, usually around $95.

I read somewhere on AR15.com that there are only 4 companys that manufacture all AR lowers,they are just stamped with who they are contracted to build for.Ive built on Bushmaster,DPMS,Olympic,Rock River stripped lowers and there all pretty much the same except for finish (Except Colt).The upper is where the differeance in quality is.

If possible - I would get the upper and lower from the same place. Most will interchange, but it makes the build somewhat easier. I believe Olympic, DMPS and Stag are all cast at the same foundry. Bushmaster is great and I am sure there are others cast off of their works too, but I can't think of one at the moment. Colt is just a parriah... Good stuff, but way too spendy compared to the competition and not that much better in quality....

Get something that is interchageable with mil-spec (especially the take-down pins) and has a 1:9 twist barrel - that'll let you use 55 - 73 gn FMJ ammo. Just my .02 worth...

Macbeau

Thanks guys for the tips, and advice, I'll keep all this in mind when I get ready to start my build next month. I'm still trying to figure out what cal. upper I want to get. I already own a bushy .223 so im looking at something a little bigger but not sure what yet.

odn

Thanks guys for the tips, and advice, I'll keep all this in mind when I get ready to start my build next month. I'm still trying to figure out what cal. upper I want to get. I already own a bushy .223 so im looking at something a little bigger but not sure what yet.

odn

not sure i havent heard good things about the 308s but who am i to say maybe the 6.8 all in what you want. my next ar purchase is going to be a 9mm

Don't want to hijack the thread but I had the I was thinking I wanted a pistol caliber carbine a few months back so I looked around I thought of converting my AR to 9mm with a new upper, but then it hit me I already have Beretta 92 FS and if I got a CX4 Storm Carbine I would have magazine interchangablity. Also my Storm is much shorter and handier than an AR, Also it has a lot of rails and such. When considering a 9mm or other pistol caliber carbine you might want to get somehting that will match your pistol magazines it will save you money. I can see this now hords of Zombies are attacking me, my CX4 breaks crap I just take the mag out of it and put it in my pistol back in business! ALso the CX4 can be made left handed or right handed or any combination.

The same question was asked on another gun forum I belong to, nothing really negitive was added there www.oa2.org I just odered a cool custom lower with a specialty logo on it.

Edited by topmaul

I have built a couple up off Superior lowers, both had tight magwells, so using thermolds Pmags was a non starter, but metal mags worked fine.

Another to look for is Essential Arms for a low cost lower, I just built one, not very pretty, kind of rough in machine finish, but the mag well will drop free any mag, and the parts all went in without any issues.