Saiga conversion completed

Started off on my own with the basic conversion...US stock, Tapco G2 FCG, US Galil style PG

post-4181-1197057194_thumb.jpg

Took about 1 hour

I decided I wanted a little more ofcourse...so I ground off the stock mag release rivets and sent it off to my local gunsmith (Randy Kline @ Sledgehammer Arms Works) I hand him mill out the trunnion lugs to accept unmodified AK74 mags, weld up some (not all) of the extra holes, rivet in an AK74 trigger gaurd/mag release I had laying around and install a Dinzag bullet guide.

After that work was done a AK74 mag with a ROBARM follower would fit/feed 30 rounds no problems! I was happy..but I wanted more :rolleyes:

So I sent it all back to Randy to have the front end converted using US and Bulgarian parts and weld up another hole....

post-4181-1197057090_thumb.jpg

Still has the Lowes hole plugs in the original FCG locations but they look so much like rivets it doesnt even bother me. The BHO hole, original forearm retainer hole, and a couple other holes were welded up/ground flat/refinished during all the work done above. I left the orginal rear sight in place as well - wasnt going for an exact 100 series copy and the original 3 positions are all I really need.

I like it a lot now! of couse there is still a complete side folder assembly sitting in my parts bin.... :unsure:

Naah - I will call this one complete, well as soon as I replace the PG I managed to crack :DOH!:

Edited by ROMAD
Looks super!

;>)

Looks realy good! I understand that you took the BHO out. If so what do you plan on doing with it? There have been several posts here by members looking to buy one.

I think I may have discarded the parts already - if I still have them I would cut them loose for the cost of shipping charges. Dont flood me with emails on this please as I am pretty sure I got rid of the left over conversion parts. I will post back in this thread if I still have them.

I think I may have discarded the parts already...

One of the top 10 WECSOG rules of gunsmithin' is, don't EVER throw away parts. If you don't need 'em, your buddy will. And it's amazing what your spare parts can be used for (I've used L-E parts on an FAL, for example ;>)...

[

Looks realy good! I understand that you took the BHO out. If so what do you plan on doing with it? There have been several posts here by members looking to buy one.

I kept mine and I'm not using it :angel:

If I find it, same deal, you pay shipping... Merry Christmas!

Edited by MD_Willington
Can you provide a list of the costs for parts, etc.

thanks

If you are looking for parts for conversion, the best way to get prices is by shopping around on the computer. There are several (Tapco, K-Var, Red Star Arms ect.). The prices for the most part are the same from site to site but every now and then you can find specials that may save a few dollars.

You will need for the basic conversion;

1. Butt stock K-Var has a nice one that is the standard AK size but Tapco now has one that is about half the price.

2. Trigger group, Tapco has a doudle and single hook version for 30-40 dollars. Red Star has a nice adjustable one but it is about 80 dollars

3. Pistol grip, Your preference here also. Tapco has a SAW grip that some people think is too big. The Ergo Grip is rubber coated with finger grooves. Both of these are about 25 dollars. You can also get the complete furniture kit that comes with the stock, fore end, and pistol grip. This will save a few bucks if you plan on getting the fore end adapter from Dinzag and use all the parts.

5. Pin retainer plate from Tapco, Brownell's, Red Star Arms. This allows you to get rid of that long retainer spring and will cost about 12 dollars.

6. Pistol grip screw and nut ( the AK 74 screw and nut fits better) I got mine from K-Var

This is for the basic conversion that was first pictured but if you are like most everyone else, you won't stop there. Dinzag makes a nice easy to install bullet guide which allows the use of high capacity mags. (You will want this for sure). When you look at Dinzag's site you will probably find other add ons that you cant live without. Go to Cobra's barrel threading tutorial and then go to the Tromix site and check out the Shark Break for the .223 and 12 GA. As you look at the other member's conversions you will take their ideas and probably come up with a few of your own.

The fact is even after buy all the parts and setting up your rifle to suit you, you still won't spend what you would have on an AR15 with similar add ons and you will end up with a very reliable rifle. Do the conversion yourself and you will appreciate the rifle a lot more than you would if you spend the money for someone else to do it for you. You will also learn your rifle inside and out by building it yourself. Just wait until you take it to the range and start getting the curious looks and the questions about what it is and where you got it. It feels good when you are able to say that you built it yourself.

Edited by madmilo