interesting railed handguard

Cause I can. :-P  

11 members have voted

1. 1. will it [s]blend[/s] fit?

• Yes
    • No

Was wandering around the intarweb trying to decide on what kinda of an AR I want to build. and came across this interesting handguard for AKs. Anyone have any experience with it, or opinions on whether it would work?

Too much time on his hands,

Acer

DId you say "AR" as in "AR15"? If so, you have asked a rather superfluous question.

Railed handguards exist in vast numbers for the AR15 platform.

lpmnthg416la.jpg

If you actually meant "AK", then yes, those will work fine (but are kinda pricey).

Sorry, I probably should have left that superfluous information out. I was simply looking around for AR parts. I was wondering if the handguards in question would fit on my Saiga 308 (or any other Saiga, for that matter).

Dave at Elite Firearms is currently building my .308 using I think an ultimak front handguard. Here is a picture of what it looks like. Hope this helps.

Rich

post-6614-1197770140_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I probably should have left that superfluous information out. I was simply looking around for AR parts. I was wondering if the handguards in question would fit on my Saiga 308 (or any other Saiga, for that matter).

I'm not quite sure exactly how that Samson K-Rail fits, but I suspect it would fit without any mods to the rifle. It says it clamps to the barrel, not the gas block or lower handguard retainer.

Edited by nalioth

Damn, that kinda ching would buy a saiga 223 or a really nice K31. I admit I've never understood the tactical rail thing (for anything other than a scout style scope, which I'm not sure this thing would even hold zero with). The way I see it is to imagine two kids hiding in the back yard. One turns on a flashlight. Who gets found first?

Was wandering around the intarweb trying to decide on what kinda of an AR I want to build. and came across this interesting handguard for AKs. Anyone have any experience with it, or opinions on whether it would work?

Too much time on his hands,

Acer

They had one over at Area51 Tactical and he tried it on his Saiga for me, unfortunately it wouldn't fit.. Maybe with some Mods. it might work?

The samson k-rail attaches to the barrel of any AK. It is free floated and doesn't need any other attachment point. It should fit the saiga just fine.

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

More pictures and an excellent review here: http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43169

Edited by nalioth
Liberal applications of a grinding wheel and JB weld can make just about anything fit.

Who wants to be the guinea pig who figures out how to make this one go, so the rest of us only have to butcher one apiece? :P

I'm your huckleberry. Send me one and I'll make it fit. :D

Liberal applications of a grinding wheel and JB weld can make just about anything fit.

Who wants to be the guinea pig who figures out how to make this one go, so the rest of us only have to butcher one apiece? :P

I'm your huckleberry. Send me one and I'll make it fit. :D

It probably will fit, when I was on the phone with him he was having trouble getting the original Saiga handguard off.

I've been looking at that hanguard for awhile, just can't get myself to pay $235 when I can own another Saiga for a few more bucks..

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed Samson about the handguard and the owner mentioned he bought a .308 Saiga to try it on. He stated that it will fit, but that you need to specify the Saiga clamp. I will eventually get one and use it on my DMR Saiga conversion (.308 w/ 21" barrel). Unfortunely I blew my next 2 months gun budget in the first 2 weeks of 2008.

I have several Samson parts on my ARs and absolutely love them. I think this rail is actually pretty reasonable when compared to AR rails. The AR rails are about the same in price and a there are a bunch more ARs with rails on them compared to AKs. So the per price unit is actually pretty reasonable. It is just that Saigas are relatively cheap compared to ARs. So a $250 rail on a $350 rifle isn't as reasonable as a $250 rail on a $900 rifle.

Edited by yellowcarbon

SOPMOD... "I emailed Samson about the handguard and the owner mentioned he bought a .308 Saiga to try it on. He stated that it will fit, but that you need to specify the Saiga clamp.

nalioth... I think he was meaning that "attaches to the barrel" and "free floated" = contradiction in terms