Master Molder mags

Are these the ones that can easily be made to work in an unmodified saiga?? By grinding the retainer tab ???

Thanks

YES, just shave off about 1 mm on the UNDERSIDE of the REAR catch on the mag. Do a little at a time 'til it snaps into place.

Make sure you ck you 922r compliance - can't just legally stick these into an unmodified saiga 7.62 w/o adding 1 or 2 US 'Replacement' parts (1 if you just 'replace' the foregrip, or 2 if you Add an 'Evil' US part like a PG.)

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone found hi cap mags that work WITHOUT modding a new saiga rifle (7.62) I've seen Sure Fire mags but haven't heard any feedback on it, i'm just asking before i waste my money on crap that doesn't work ;D

OK, I appreciate your youth....can you READ....These Mag Work on Un-Modified Saiga x39... YES, just shave some off the Underside of the REAR Mag Catch....

BUT, on Un-Moified Saiga - You NOW MUST REPLACE orig. Foriegn PARTS, to US Parts, to The Tune of 1, unless you add a PG, Then You 'll need 2. (like Forearm, Gas Piston, Butt-Stock, Trigger Group, etc.)

NOTE: it's been said soo many times here.....If You Want to REMAIN LEGAL....you can't just throw on a Hi-Cap Mag, or Throw on a PG, Without THEN HAVING TO COMPLY W/ A LAW CALLED 992r. Which Then LIMITS YOU To no more than 10 FORIEGN PARTS.

added: I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but that's the whole pont of this thread - mags working on un-modified saiga.

Edited by BullShark012
after the mod are they still reliable in a standard ak

I Highly doubt it, but I don't really know because I have a Stock Saiga - My Educated guess says No, you just shaved off HALF of the Rear Catch on the mag.

Added: Abe, Hell, They're Plastic what do you think? the Whole Point Here is to Make Them Work on UN-MODIFIED Saiga - You want AK mags, get AK mags. Good Question though, Would be nice to know - Any New Info is Good Info. Anyone like to Verify?

For members new to the forum, Here's kinda what we are talking about: (unmodified Saiga x39)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22054

goto post #5.

Edited by BullShark012
Has anyone found hi cap mags that work WITHOUT modding a new saiga rifle (7.62) I've seen Sure Fire mags but haven't heard any feedback on it, i'm just asking before i waste my money on crap that doesn't work ;D

Hi all,new here to posting on the Saiga forums.Love the rifles and have a few.

To answer the question about the Surefire mags.I have a few of each for the rifles that they make them for and they fit right into the gun without any mods to the gun or mag.Ive tried the .223 and the X39 without any troubles.I've also heard the .308s work as well as the others too from SF.

Got my Master Mold mags in today did the 6pack.... got them filed and sitting tight in about 15 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great nate, see easy! Not like metal, but they work!!! Just get a couple more 6 paks!! You're Ready.

Tell us how they fire at the range....I already know the answer....

Just thinking - anybody ever take a reg. AK metal mag and just file it like that to fit the x39....

I'm gonna buy one and try it, unless someone tells me not to...

Added: rd99, the only prob. is they cost too much man.....why not spend 5 mins per mag, and save $30 per mag....still 3 USA PARTS dude. (but they might be better mags, I don't know)

Edited by BullShark012

Good point Shark,I thought about that too.

Been kind of looking around and reading for a while and figured I'd try them.

The price is a factor but sometimes I get lazy too and have heard a lot of good about them.

I'll most likely try the MM mags too when I get my next Saiga,and possibly some others too,still debating which I want to get tho.

I did have troubles with the .223 that came with the rifle and that was why I jumped in feet first for the SF mag.

The problem with standard AK mags is where the feed lip is on the mag, usually isn't high enough to feed the bullet right, and the master mold mags work fine for a minute but the plastic wears down on the lip from what i have seen, anyone else want to mention something about that, it is just what i heard

Edited by DamDanger
The problem with standard AK mags is where the feed lip is on the mag, usually isn't high enough to feed the bullet right, and the master mold mags work fine for a minute but the plastic wears down on the lip from what i have seen, anyone else want to mention something about that, it is just what i heard

I figured that on the AK metal mags. (why we need a feed ramp/bullet guide, duh I, knew that just was hoping some might work just by filing on the mag catches.

As for the wear on the Master Moulders, I have 4 of them - so I just went to look for the wear you speak of. 3 have no wear at all (prob. ones i've only fired 30 - 60 rds. from ea. to test after modding them), 1 has a minute area of aparent wear on the lip, that's the one I've been using at the range most - I'd say it has about 120 - 180 rds. thru it. Still works just fine. The wear is so tiny so far it can't have an effect yet. But now that you mentioned this, I'll keep using that one only and watch the wear pattern and see if it gets any worse. Thanks.

Added: Hell, if they wear out after 250 rds. or so ??? (still a question) I'll just pop in a new one. (and maybe epoxy the lip abit on the bad one or something to fix it??

Maybe I'll go buy a bunch more as back ups anyway (maybe try "chestnutridgesupply.com has them for $10.84 each or a 6 pack for $62.51 in stock 724-459-8699 just passing this along incase someones needing these mags " as pvt joker states above. ** BTW, I just checked and the 'Stock' 10 rd. Saiga mags are made of the exact same plastic, shape is exactly same in the lip area (except for just behind the front ramp area (not a contact point). I tested using my thumb to feed from ea. mag, and the rounds contact the front of the lip the Same in either mag. So I'm gonna say the MM's should last as long as the 'Stock' Saiga 10 rd (7.62) were meant to last. ***And as I look closely at my old 10 rders. I see a little bullet wear on them too. - maybe more than on the MM...2 distinct side by side wear indentions from loading.

Edited by BullShark012
So what do you think is the best thing to buy the 30rd Master Molder mag for the x39 or a $40 dollar replacement?

I believe the $40 Replacement your speaking of is a 'Surefire' - it's plastic too I think. It's supposed to fit w/o out using your pocket knife. (but you can get about 4 MM's for the price of 1 Surefire!)

With the MM, All you need to do is file, or shave, a tiny bit from the 'Underside' of the 'Rear' mag catch only (just line it up to the stock 10 rd. mag and duplicate the look w/ your knife or something) Don't mess w' the Front catch - I'ts wider than the stock, which is just fine, that part fits just fine!

Takes about 2 minutes once you get the hang of it. Not hard at all, Hell even I can do that! Just be conservative on the first one an take it slow and keep checking for fit in the rifle.

Here is the link to CDNN Master Molder 30 rd. mags that work: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak7630lemamo.html

They bury this somewhere in their site (not listeed on 'Mags' section, have to search - but I did it for you)

Edited by BullShark012

I think those things would wear out eventually but if they were intended as a disposable item like an AR15 magazine you could buy 100 of them and an unconverted 7.62x39 Saiga for the cost of a single fancy AR15 that didn't have any mags!

At that price I might buy some and load them up for a rainy day if the springs seem to hold up..

Can't ever have enough mags,just ask Randy Shughart and Gary Gordy(or even Baruch Goldstein for that matter).

surefire mags are a gigantic rippoff at $40+ea(especially now that they are made of plastic)

when you compare them with an almost identical item at $10ea from master molder

Master Molder is the same as Thermold and their AR15 magazines enjoyed a reputation for being more reliable than USGI magazines until all of the Canadian contract mags(maple leaf stamp) started flooding the country that were made out of a plastic with a much lower melting point than the US spec magazines and then became known as "Thermelts" but I would not hesitate to buy these mags as a limited used or disposable item just to have all of my ammunition in magazines for a rainy day.

Master molder is probably as good as surefire and even if it weren't quite as durable you could have 4 for the price of 1 and I know that a surefire can't be that much better..

Surefire needs to stop trying to charge retail to vendors so we can get their product for a reasonable price or they can leave the marketplace with their tail between their legs..

The dream is to have 10K of 7.62x39 loaded in magazines an stored in SKB instrument cases(I've got a bunch of them)

Yeh i agree, even if they only lasted 1-2k they would be worth it, i just keep forgetting to buy some, and as far as the unconverted saiga goes, i grinded down my mag catch on mine, took like 10 seconds with a dremel and it fits the saiga and standard ak mags, so i don't even have to modd the MM mags

Yeh i agree, even if they only lasted 1-2k they would be worth it, i just keep forgetting to buy some, and as far as the unconverted saiga goes, i grinded down my mag catch on mine, took like 10 seconds with a dremel and it fits the saiga and standard ak mags, so i don't even have to modd the MM mags

Tell me how you grind down the mag catch exactly, I've been real reluctant to touch any metal on my first Saiga... Right now I have the Stock 10 rders that work (of course) and now the Modded 30 rd. MM's working great (slight shave on the MM's plastic catch).... I want to get some Metal AK mags to work too with the basically stock magwell I have.... You're telling us we can just do a 'slight' mod on the rifle mag catch and still use all 3 ???

Edit: No bullet guide/feed ramp needed?

Edited by BullShark012