One problem with that set, is that it is for a milled receiver, your Saiga is stamped (I'm sure you could find a similar set for a stamped receiver). As far as mounting furniture, you'll need a regular AK gas tube to fit the upper handguard, and a lower retainer for the lower handguard (Dinzag sells both). For the PG, you would obviously need to do the conversion and get a PG nut & screw, then your good to go. As for the mags, if your already using them, I don't see why you couldn't continue to use them.

But you shouldn't really be using 30 rounders in your unconverted Saiga right now, because you wouldn't be 922r compliant with just US made mags :ded: .

EDITED TO ADD: Here is the same set you want, but for the stamped receiver http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...at=0&page=5 .

Edited by 22_Shooter
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks 22. But let me ask, perhaps I have been incorrect using the 30 rounder (us made - count as 3 complaince parts, correct?) plus piston has already been swapped out, getting me quite simply down to 10 imported parts.... Now the conversion continues with trigger, PG, and furniture, but in the meantime am I not already compliant with this config??

One problem with that set, is that it is for a milled receiver, your Saiga is stamped (I'm sure you could find a similar set for a stamped receiver). As far as mounting furniture, you'll need a regular AK gas tube to fit the upper handguard, and a lower retainer for the lower handguard (Dinzag sells both). For the PG, you would obviously need to do the conversion and get a PG nut & screw, then your good to go. As for the mags, if your already using them, I don't see why you couldn't continue to use them.

But you shouldn't really be using 30 rounders in your unconverted Saiga right now, because you wouldn't be 922r compliant with just US made mags :ded: .

EDITED TO ADD: Here is the same set you want, but for the stamped receiver http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...at=0&page=5 .

Edited by fishrman
Thanks 22. But let me ask, perhaps I have been incorrect using the 30 rounder (us made - count as 3 complaince parts, correct?) plus piston has already been swapped out, getting me quite simply down to 10 imported parts.... Now the conversion continues with trigger, PG, and hardware, but in the meantime am I not already compliant with this config??
There is no law saying how many US made parts you have in your Saiga, just so long as you don't have more than 10 foreign ones.

I personally do not use any US magazine parts for compliance.

Thanks 22. But let me ask, perhaps I have been incorrect using the 30 rounder (us made - count as 3 complaince parts, correct?) plus piston has already been swapped out, getting me quite simply down to 10 imported parts.... Now the conversion continues with trigger, PG, and hardware, but in the meantime am I not already compliant with this config??
There is no law saying how many US made parts you have in your Saiga, just so long as you don't have more than 10 foreign ones.

I personally do not use any US magazine parts for compliance.

fishrman,

A stock Saiga Rifle has 14 imported parts to begin with.

If you substitute any of the imported parts with a US part, your Saiga must NOW HAVE NO MORE THAN 10 imported parts.

I was the one to tell you that a US made mag. counts as 3 compliance points and it does.

The mag follower, Mag body and mag. baseplate each count as 1 point.

You also have a US piston worth one point.

If you add a US made pistol grip, you are still in compliance with 4 points on your Saiga rifle, because you did not add any imported parts.

If you did nothing but add US made parts to your rifle you would be okay. The magic (legal) number to be concerned with is 10 (imported parts).

louielouie

Thanks 22. But let me ask, perhaps I have been incorrect using the 30 rounder (us made - count as 3 complaince parts, correct?) plus piston has already been swapped out, getting me quite simply down to 10 imported parts.... Now the conversion continues with trigger, PG, and furniture, but in the meantime am I not already compliant with this config??

My bad, I didn't know you had a US made piston :ded: . So yeah, that, with the US made mags would get you compliant. But like many others, I wouldn't like to count on mags for compliance. But you're good to go with your setup as is.

Yes Louielouie, and again thanks for all your help!!!! You are truley an asset around this place! I'd like to let you know you have now inspired both myself and a buddy to move ahead.

Everytime I "think I understand" something comes up making me wonder... I have a couple Promag 30 rounders I wanted to try out so replaced the piston right off the bat thinking when they arrived I'd be OK using them... Personally I am skeptical about the promag as the two I received DO NOT indicate anywhere they were made in the US. So have been just using stock 10 rounder until ready to dive further into the conversion. The promag's I got do seem to fit well, but are only collecting dust at the moment.

Been going through your PM over and over and am now ready to do this!!!! Most parts on the way as I type, including a couple of the mags you mentioned. Still trying to decide on which forearm and butt stock to bring in.

Has anyone liked the Tapco forend made for the Saiga? The way I see it that part costs about $60 and slips on w/ stock Saiga gas tube. A different forearm PLUS new gas tube PLUS diznags attachment are going to run more than that when all added up. Not a biggy, but was just wondering about that Tapco part.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Yes Louielouie, and again thanks for all your help!!!! You are truley an asset around this place! I'd like to let you know you have now inspired both myself and a buddy to move ahead.

Everytime I "think I understand" something comes up making me wonder... I have a couple Promag 30 rounders I wanted to try out so replaced the piston right off the bat thinking when they arrived I'd be OK using them... Personally I am skeptical about the promag as the two I received DO NOT indicate anywhere they were made in the US. So have been just using stock 10 rounder until ready to dive further into the conversion. The promag's I got do seem to fit well, but are only collecting dust at the moment.

Been going through your PM over and over and am now ready to do this!!!! Most parts on the way as I type, including a couple of the mags you mentioned. Still trying to decide on which forearm and butt stock to bring in.

Has anyone liked the Tapco forend made for the Saiga? The way I see it that part costs about $60 and slips on w/ stock Saiga gas tube. A different forearm PLUS new gas tube PLUS diznags attachment are going to run more than that when all added up. Not a biggy, but was just wondering about that Tapco part.

Thanks again for all your help!!

IMO the Tapco forend kinda looks dumb. I'd spend the extra money and get a real AK forend plus the new gas tube and Dinzag's retainer.

Which "US-made magazines" are you using -- because Surefires don't count. They are sold by a US company, but they are made from foreign mag bodies and parts. You can install your own base plate and followers (US-made) and get 2 parts out of it, but as-delivered they do not count as 922R compliance parts.

MasterMold/Thermold mags are all US-made and count as 3 parts out of the box.

I really don't think the mags are an issue, though (although it's good to know). No one has mentioned the fire control group - in order to use that stock set you need to do the conversion. So the FCG will get you three parts, plus your gas piston, grip and buttstock make a total of 6 US parts installed - one more than you need.

Also, that handguard will not work on a Saiga without modifications. Do a search - there are several ways to make it compatible, either by permanently or temporarily modifying your rifle with a lower handguard retainer. But if you buy that kit and expect to be able to install it "asi is", you'll be disappointed.

Jim

Thanks guys! Yes I did originally think the SureFire (sorry I know I said Promag later) would count but when received was correctly skeptical after examining them....

With the awesome instructions Louielouie provided the PG and FCG group conversion is about to happen so the mags will not be an issue, but with the price of the MasterMold mags he turned me onto I ordered some anyway.

Jim, thanks for the heads up on the handguard.

Which "US-made magazines" are you using -- because Surefires don't count. They are sold by a US company, but they are made from foreign mag bodies and parts. You can install your own base plate and followers (US-made) and get 2 parts out of it, but as-delivered they do not count as 922R compliance parts.

MasterMold/Thermold mags are all US-made and count as 3 parts out of the box.

I really don't think the mags are an issue, though (although it's good to know). No one has mentioned the fire control group - in order to use that stock set you need to do the conversion. So the FCG will get you three parts, plus your gas piston, grip and buttstock make a total of 6 US parts installed - one more than you need.

Also, that handguard will not work on a Saiga without modifications. Do a search - there are several ways to make it compatible, either by permanently or temporarily modifying your rifle with a lower handguard retainer. But if you buy that kit and expect to be able to install it "asi is", you'll be disappointed.

Jim

Thanks guys! Yes I did originally think the SureFire (sorry I know I said Promag later) would count but when received was correctly skeptical after examining them....

With the awesome instructions Louielouie provided the PG and FCG group conversion is about to happen so the mags will not be an issue, but with the price of the MasterMold mags he turned me onto I ordered some anyway.

Jim, thanks for the heads up on the handguard.

Navy87guy has been away for a bit, it seems.

The polymer Surefire mags are 100% made in the USA. The metal ones from Surefire are rewelded European military mags, and don't count as US parts.

It was pointed out to me that I've been out of touch for a while -- and that Surefire is now producing all-US polymer mags, just like Thermold. So if that's what you have, you have three other compliance parts. If they are the metal mags, then they won't help (not that you need it with your config).

Just wanted to clear up any potential confusion!

Jim