Firefly Conversion

I sent my Saiga 12 last Monday,they should be getting it today or tommorrow.They said it should take under 10 days from the time they recieve it,i did send a check so im sure they will want to make sure it clears.I will let everyone know how it all goes.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ATF right now. I previously posted an article with USAS declaration and my rationale for how this previous ruling may impact the Saiga. I expect them - at some point - to define pistol gripped Saigas as DDs... but this will also impact our friendly police as well as the importation and purchase for police departments in the future. PDs don't particularly care for hassle of paperwork either... especially for shotguns. Case in point, how many PDs do you know that regularly issue NFA 'short barrelled shotguns'... it's more the exception than the rule.

The sporting Saiga has been, and I expect will be, continued to be imported as sporting. Think about it... if it was defined as sporting under Clinton's reign... I'm sure it will stay that way. However, I do anticipate the ATF maybe making the rule that possession of a sporting Saiga with 'assault' features (e.g an 8 round mag) may constitue a DD. (Similar to a 37mm smooth tear gas 'gun' and a penetrating 37mm round, or other solid projectile (e.g. bean bag) round for that matter. You can own them seperately, but if you posses both you have - in essence - a DD.)

The USAS had an extensive registration amnesty... years. So as long as you have a pistol grip, or folding stock or 8 round mag or whatever BS they define the Saiga configuration as being a DD... you'll be amnestied. Once the paperwork arrives you can always send to a gunsmith for 'the rest of the mods.'

KEEP in mind that the ATF would have to do this for 20 gauge as well... as the bore is larger than .50, right? And keep in mind that the ATF never declared the Franchi SPAS 15 as a DD. It's very similar to the USAS and Saiga... but it's one rare bird. Do a image search on the web for the Frachi... you won't be disappointed.

One other thing to keep in mind - the Bush factor... although he doesn't control the ATF... I doubt the ATF will do something that isn't approved by the DOJ and/or Treasury... which goes back to an appointed Attorney General and an appointed Treasury Secretary. Even in the government you don't step on your bosses toes!

• 2 weeks later...

Firefly will supply a regular AK style grip in the price or you can send him one of yours and he will knock off $15.00,i sent him a Tapco saw grip that he installed.He will supply a regular style AK buttstock for extra$,i put the ACE on myself ,real easy.The bayonet is a M16 style and all i had to do is file just a bit of the ring to fit over the barrel,in the pic there isnt a lug installed yet.Im waying the options on either making the lug myself or just buying a pre ban type front site and cutting off the lug and welding it to the bottom of the barrel,it has to hang down just right to keep the bayo straight. its going to happen soon :lolol:

Edited by Pointer
I wouldn't worry too much about the ATF right now. I previously posted an article with USAS declaration and my rationale for how this previous ruling may impact the Saiga. I expect them - at some point - to define pistol gripped Saigas as DDs... but this will also impact our friendly police as well as the importation and purchase for police departments in the future. PDs don't particularly care for hassle of paperwork either... especially for shotguns. Case in point, how many PDs do you know that regularly issue NFA 'short barrelled shotguns'... it's more the exception than the rule.

The sporting Saiga has been, and I expect will be, continued to be imported as sporting. Think about it... if it was defined as sporting under Clinton's reign... I'm sure it will stay that way. However, I do anticipate the ATF maybe making the rule that possession of a sporting Saiga with 'assault' features (e.g an 8 round mag) may constitue a DD. (Similar to a 37mm smooth tear gas 'gun' and a penetrating 37mm round, or other solid projectile (e.g. bean bag) round for that matter. You can own them seperately, but if you posses both you have - in essence - a DD.)

The USAS had an extensive registration amnesty... years. So as long as you have a pistol grip, or folding stock or 8 round mag or whatever BS they define the Saiga configuration as being a DD... you'll be amnestied. Once the paperwork arrives you can always send to a gunsmith for 'the rest of the mods.'

KEEP in mind that the ATF would have to do this for 20 gauge as well... as the bore is larger than .50, right? And keep in mind that the ATF never declared the Franchi SPAS 15 as a DD. It's very similar to the USAS and Saiga... but it's one rare bird. Do a image search on the web for the Frachi... you won't be disappointed.

One other thing to keep in mind - the Bush factor... although he doesn't control the ATF... I doubt the ATF will do something that isn't approved by the DOJ and/or Treasury... which goes back to an appointed Attorney General and an appointed Treasury Secretary. Even in the government you don't step on your bosses toes!

The SPAS 15 has been declared a DD. . .or at any rate is banned from importation either as a DD or as a result of daddy Bush's '89 mil-type weapon ban and the "conservative" Republican "no sporting purpose" curse.

Heres a pic of mine that Firefly coverted,i added a few goodies :lolol:

Cool idea, but, dual clamped mags require that the left mag is higher so that the right mag clears the ejection port after you switch them. Also, if you weld the thin shotty barrel, you risk bending or otherwise distorting it to where accuracy is compromised, or firing slugs becomes flat out dangerous.

Edited by inparidel

dual mags being parallel is NOT a problem , in this case I have put 50 rounds each through my 2- 5 rounders , which are clamped together with a slightly modified Choate Machine and Tool G3 mag clamp , and it works great!(slight mod was to grind away part of the plastic spacer which fits between the mags, and install a longer bolt with a hex head instead of fac. slot head , tightened with a wrench, the mags are not recoil affected!! :super:

dual mags being parallel is NOT a problem

Definitely was a problem for me. I had 8 round mags strapped together but I doubt that mag capacity makes a difference. I only fired 1 round that way. Top round in the 2nd mag was smashed up from the empty trying to come thru. Maybe your righthand mag was empty, or maybe your ejection path is a little different than mine? Whatever the case, the gun would not cycle that way for me.

Kmoore

I wish you would have arrived earlier I would have liked to try your Mags. Have you gotten them to work better? If so could you let me know who made them so I can get a pair. I was thinking about making my own but if the price is reasonable I'll be buying some.