Hey fellas, I am helping my brother install a bullet guide in his Saiga .223 so that he can use Bulgarian Mags. We haven't installed the bullet guide yet, but just by looking at it how things would work, it appears that the guide is gonna be too low to effectively guide the rounds into the chamber. Got the guide from dinzag arms.

It is the rounded trunion.

Anyone have issues with Bulgarian mags after installing a bullet guide like this?

Thanks!

Something to look at is check the height of the bullet guide with the Factory mags in place. You should see that the bullet guide sits at the same height as the front lip of the magazine.

post-7838-1200672134_thumb.jpg

Then pop out the factory mag and put in your aftermarket model. You will see there is a gap from the top of the bullet guide to the bottom of the factory mag.

post-7838-1200672143_thumb.jpg

The cartridge does feed nicely when you push it along manually with the rifle disassembled.

post-7838-1200672147_thumb.jpg

When I installed my bullet guide I was thinking the same thing. When I tried to strip a round out of the magazine with my finger while the bolt was out the thing worked fine. The actual bullet portion of the round is curved and it just found it's way in to the chamber. It worked just fine. The guide only makes the bullet start to point up so that it will enter the barrel. That's all it's supposed to do.

Maybe it's teaching Firearm Safety Classes for so many years or maybe its just the way I was taught, but when I see live rounds being used for a demonstration I tend to cringe.

I am not picking on this topic, but please buy some snap caps or make some dummy rounds (or have a reloading friend make some dummy rounds for you).

Live ammo shouldn't be used for demonstration and it doesn't matter how safe you think you are because when something happens its always an "accident".

The only accident you can prevent is the one you "have".

Thanks for listening (I am getting down from my soapbox and leaving now".

louielouie

• Like 1
I am not picking on this topic, but please buy some snap caps or make some dummy rounds (or have a reloading friend make some dummy rounds for you).

Quick question: I wanted to get some snap caps for when I finally install my guide, to test it. Could I take an empty, already fired case, pull the bullet from another live round, and stick it in the empty case? Maybe kinda dangerous pulling a bullet from a live round, I dunno. I just don't wanna pay $10 for 2 snap caps, then add shipping on top of that.

Edited by 22_Shooter
Could I take an empty, already fired case, pull the bullet from another live round, and stick it in the empty case? Maybe kinda dangerous pulling a bullet from a live round,

probably not a good idea.

the fired case will have expanded to the chamber and may not slide in and out easilly. Get it stuck in there and you could have a bugger of a time extracting it.

reloaders resize the full length of all brass cases used in auto-loaders.

you could pull the bullet of an unfired case.....dump the powder, fire the primer and then re-seat the bullet.

pop the primer and epoxy in a little eraser, like that found on a Pentel mechanical pencil and you've made your own snap cap.

Could I take an empty, already fired case, pull the bullet from another live round, and stick it in the empty case? Maybe kinda dangerous pulling a bullet from a live round,

probably not a good idea.

the fired case will have expanded to the chamber and may not slide in and out easilly. Get it stuck in there and you could have a bugger of a time extracting it.

reloaders resize the full length of all brass cases used in auto-loaders.

you could pull the bullet of an unfired case.....dump the powder, fire the primer and then re-seat the bullet.

pop the primer and epoxy in a little eraser, like that found on a Pentel mechanical pencil and you've made your own snap cap.

OK, sounds better. Maybe a dumb question, but how would I go about firing the primer :unsure: ?

OK, sounds better. Maybe a dumb question, but how would I go about firing the primer :unsure: ?

After you've pulled the bullet and dumped the powder, the Saiga makes a good primer popper. Please be safe when doing so, and obey any applicable laws.

After you've pulled the bullet and dumped the powder, the Saiga makes a good primer popper. Please be safe when doing so, and obey any applicable laws.

OK, sounds like a plan. I have tomorrow off, so I guess I'll make a few snap caps. One more question, is pulling the bullet itself just involve some pliers and some finesse? I wanna ask questions now, and not get shrapnel in my face :D .

Maybe it's teaching Firearm Safety Classes for so many years or maybe its just the way I was taught, but when I see live rounds being used for a demonstration I tend to cringe.

Live ammo shouldn't be used for demonstration and it doesn't matter how safe you think you are because when something happens its always an "accident".

louielouie

I've been so guitly of this...more times than I would like to admit. But Hell, it'll never happen to me, right?

Don't be so sure.

The reason those guides have the low angled ramp is they were designed to feed Galil Orlites.

(in addition to other mags)

They are 3/16" thick, about twice as thick as standard 223 ak guides which do not feed orlites.

Also these are designed to work with most of the cheap mil-surp mags, not the factory mags or surefire mags. Those mags need the raised section removed in the center front to look like the mil-surp mags. A factory mag will not click in.

louielouie

FYI: Thanks for the concern but you can see from the expanded photo a few things...

1. There is no bolt in the rifle. Without the bolt and firing pin, there is no way to fire the round.

2. There are no "guts" in the rifle. The hammer, trigger, springs are all out of the rifle. I was in the middle of my conversion.

There is no more danger in the round going off by pushing it with your finger, than while loading your magazines.

post-7838-1201013175_thumb.jpg