Should I get a Saiga? Even with SKS

Hey Im new to this forum. I already have a SKS which is chambered in 7.62x39 as you all probably know. I was wondering if I should get a Saiga in 7.62x39 even though I already have a sks. I wouldnt want to get it chambered in .223 or .308 because of the cost of ammo. I live in Kommiefornia So I was also wondering what legal modifications I could do to a saiga?

thanks for your help!

I too am from PRK (Bakersfield area) and recently got a saiga too. What do you want to do with it? If you still want to have detachable mags then keep it in stock form. If you look at dinzags he offers a better FCG for the unconverted saiga but you will have to play the 922r game as well. Full conversion (moving the FCG forward like an AK) requires a bullet button or maglock if you want to use a pistol grip. There are guys with AK's with detachable mags that use their rifle without a PG or they use a MMG. If you check calguns.net they have more info for us PRK guys.

Aren't SKSs banned in faggiefornia?

Anyway,ditch the SKS(legal or not) and buy a Saiga unless you are just in love with stripper clips.

Oh wait,you are in california you can't have hicaps there anyway so the stripper clips make a lot of sense if the SKS is legally registered.

Or you could blow off that commie,puff,dope addict,better off in the ocean place and move somewhere where your Saiga could run free replete with pistol grips,drum magazines,feed ramps,bayonet lugs...like MTK intended :D

You'll love he Saiga and the SKS will seem anachronistic once you own one..

I too am from PRK (Bakersfield area) and recently got a saiga too. What do you want to do with it? If you still want to have detachable mags then keep it in stock form. If you look at dinzags he offers a better FCG for the unconverted saiga but you will have to play the 922r game as well. Full conversion (moving the FCG forward like an AK) requires a bullet button or maglock if you want to use a pistol grip. There are guys with AK's with detachable mags that use their rifle without a PG or they use a MMG. If you check calguns.net they have more info for us PRK guys.

Hey thanks for the help! I'm new to all of this. So im not sure what a FCG is, or what a mmg is. Also when people talk about a full conversion, im not really sure what they are talking about. Also I was wondering if they are that different from a sks to make them worth it. thanks!

Hey thanks for the help! I'm new to all of this. So im not sure what a FCG is, or what a mmg is. Also when people talk about a full conversion, im not really sure what they are talking about. Also I was wondering if they are that different from a sks to make them worth it. thanks!

FCG(fire control group) Trigger,Hammer,Disconnect

Converted(relocated FCG)added pistol Grip,added USA made parts to comply with federal las to make highcap mags legal

January2008009.jpg

Unconverted Saiga looks like a deer rifle and has lowcap mags only

p_308.jpg

it requires a fair amount of shop work to transform them that's why they still are legal in fagiifornia

Edited by SOPMOD

oh yeah i forgot...the m59/66 has a grenade launcher which is a "destructive device" and makes the m59/66 in stock form illegal. Before that gun is brought into PRK, the GL needs to removed and have a sleeve welded on the threads or you can go the better route and have a muzzle brake or flash hider permanently attached to the threads. This will render the m59/66 (PRK-legal model) C&R ineligible.

haha well California is pretty nice place to live except for a few things like guns and some of the people. Im hoping they dump the whole assault weapon band soon or else i may have to move an hour and a half over to nevada. Alright when i gather a few more resources im going to get it. I was looking at prices and the .223 ammo doesnt cost a whole lot more so I was wondering what you thought would be better pick between .223 and 7.62? how hard is it to attach a scope?

MMG is monsterman grip like this http://www.monstermangrip.com/MMG_AK.php

And you can put a scope easy because of the side mount

Keep in mind that the MMG is still a gray area in PRK though. Depending where you're from some ranges are okay with OLL receivers from the AR/AK series. Some cops who are ignorant of PRK gun laws will confiscate your gun on the spot and probably fine you and/or put you in jail. IF you check about the MMG on websites it says "use at your own risk". Check with your local ranges first before buying a MMG to see if they are OLL friendly. Check calguns.net because they have a lot of legal info regarding OLL friendly places up in Norcal

Edited by vinny_land

As far as I know you can in fact have a detachable magazine of sorts in california. The state defines a detachable magazine as one that can be simply removed from the gun without the use of an instrument. Adding one of these is supposed to satisfy the state and IMO doesn't seem like that big of a deal. http://riflegear.com/p-268-raddlock-ak-ser...k-with-key.aspx

You're not gonna be doing magazine changes like the guys on you tube or anything like that but it still looks pretty good.

Once you've got rid of the detachable magazine you can add the pistol grip I'm pretty sure. As far as a compensator goes there is a way around this too. The Romanian guns used a threaded sight block with a 22X1.5 thread and as far as the atf goes, they don't know of anyone ever having made a flash hider or silencer for that thread. Check this out.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel...tf_letter89.txt

The only problem I see with that is finding someone who actually has the muzzle brakes in stock. I know K-var has the front sight blocks but haven't been able to find anyone who has the 22mm 74 style brakes in stock.

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by taurussvt

A lot of mis-information.

Aren't SKSs banned in faggiefornia?

Anyway,ditch the SKS(legal or not) and buy a Saiga unless you are just in love with stripper clips.

Oh wait,you are in california you can't have hicaps there anyway so the stripper clips make a lot of sense if the SKS is legally registered.

Or you could blow off that commie,puff,dope addict,better off in the ocean place and move somewhere where your Saiga could run free replete with pistol grips,drum magazines,feed ramps,bayonet lugs...like MTK intended :D

You'll love he Saiga and the SKS will seem anachronistic once you own one..

SKS's are legal and do not have to be registered (which is a moot point because the op already stated he had one). I have both a Saiga and an SKS. Do you need both? No, but they are both equally enjoyable. Right now i would give the edge to my Saiga just because a) it's new and B) detachable mags. Hi capacity mags are perfectly legal as long as you've owned them before jan. 2000.

Norcal, you do not have to go the route of a "monster man grip" with the saiga as it's already Cali compliant as is. In fact many residents in California buy up Saiga standard stocks and move their fcg back on their AK's. Sort of a "reverse conversion" :)

Vinny, I wouldn't say "mmg" is a gray area, since some documented cases of the Ca. DOJ have been advocating using one.

The GL needs to removed and have a sleeve welded on the threads or you can go the better route and have a muzzle brake or flash hider permanently attached to the threads.

Doesn't need to be permanent.

Also, just fyi; Not all of us here behind the iron curtain are "communist dope addicts". Just a few years ago, no one was even thinking of owning AR-15's and Ak's, let alone Saigas. There are a lot of good people fighting the good fight. Me... I'm just riding on coattails :smoke:

fagiifornia

Real classy :rolleyes:

Likely been asked many times but how does a Yugo SKS that is a C&R and can't be modified in any way without 922r problems get modified and sold in California?

I can't speak as to California law, but the notion that you can't modify a Yugo SKS without running afoul of 922r is just plain false. 922r is basically the specifications your rifle must meet for it not to be considered an import if it would be unimportable under 925d. If after your modifications your rifle is not in violation of 925d, then you don't have to worry about 922r. Basically, if when you're done you have a rifle that could be legally imported, you're OK. 925d does prohibit a number of features found on Yugo SKS's, so your modifications would have to include removing the bayonet, grenade launcher paraphenalia and night sights and your barrel couldn't have a threaded muzzle unless you permanently attached something to it.

Now if you wanted to modify your rifle so that it does violate 925d, then you have to replace 6 parts that are on ATF's list of parts so that you comply with 922r. Typically that's the stock, handguard, mag, (3 parts there), and piston.

My thoughts....

Guns are fun... Gat as many as you can get! :dollar:

Saigas, SKS's FN's AR's....

Some are better than others, I have yet to get a gun I don't like.

Hey thanks everyone and thats a good idea tauras svt. I went to a couple of gun stores in town and they all say their distributors wont ship Saigas to California but I know its legal, i kinda tried to show them so I think they might persuade their distributors. As for the Yugo SkS all the people had done to it when I bought it is cut off the grenade launcher. By the way my SKS exploded yesterday and I got alittle shrapnel in my face so now I gotta fix it too, the spring broke and some other part snaped, i dont know what caused the semi-explosion but it was smoking from the chamber for like 1.5 minutes

As far as I know you can in fact have a detachable magazine of sorts in california. The state defines a detachable magazine as one that can be simply removed from the gun without the use of an instrument. Adding one of these is supposed to satisfy the state and IMO doesn't seem like that big of a deal. http://riflegear.com/p-268-raddlock-ak-ser...k-with-key.aspx

You're not gonna be doing magazine changes like the guys on you tube or anything like that but it still looks pretty good.

Once you've got rid of the detachable magazine you can add the pistol grip I'm pretty sure. As far as a compensator goes there is a way around this too. The Romanian guns used a threaded sight block with a 22X1.5 thread and as far as the atf goes, they don't know of anyone ever having made a flash hider or silencer for that thread. Check this out.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel...tf_letter89.txt

The only problem I see with that is finding someone who actually has the muzzle brakes in stock. I know K-var has the front sight blocks but haven't been able to find anyone who has the 22mm 74 style brakes in stock.

Hope this helps you out.

I went on riflegearDOTcom and saw the radlock magazine lock, it says not to use on magazines over 10rds. Is that just to cover themselves or what? In the picture it looks like a 30rd. Also if I can use a 30rd magazine, where would I get one ikn California?

Thanks

I went on riflegearDOTcom and saw the radlock magazine lock, it says not to use on magazines over 10rds. Is that just to cover themselves or what? In the picture it looks like a 30rd. Also if I can use a 30rd magazine, where would I get one ikn California?

Thanks

per SB23 (Californias AW Ban) A firearm with a fixed mag of more than 10 rounds is considered an assault weapon. What you are looking at is a 30rnd mag converted to a 10rnd capacity.

The dealers that tell you that RAA/EAA Saiga rifles are illegal are either lazy and aren't up to snuff on Ca Law. Or have fallen victim to FUD (fear, uncertaintly and doubt) from CaDOJ bullying. I regularly shoot along side many leo (Correctional Officers, Sac Sheriffs, CHP academy in West Sac.) and havent had any problems with my Saiga. They all know it's not a reg. AW and i've actually talked a few into building oll's. Thats not to say that there hasn't been any harrassment of law abiding citezens. Good luck with your purchase have fun with both your weapons.

Sorry to hear about your sks, hope you weren't hurt too bad. :eek:

My thoughts....

Guns are fun... Gat as many as you can get! :dollar:

Saigas, SKS's FN's AR's....

Some are better than others, I have yet to get a gun I don't like.

I've managed to get 2 that i didn't like....

Remington 572.....i have 2 870s, and the idea of the same basic gun in 22 appealed to me....plus a freind had a littl pump 22 when i was growing up....it was a lot of fun.....so i found on at a gun show for $140 OTD....no papers.....after shooting it, i just realized that pumping the gun just took my sights off target, and with the 3 10/22s i owned at that point....just didn't need it.....traded it in on my Saiga x39....never looked back...

similarly....my CZ52.....got it as my first gun with my C&R license...shot it twice.....second time at the range one of the pins started to work its way out....think the slide could have blow off in my face without that pin....never really shot well with it....though that round could penetrate body armor....that just wasn't a big deal to me.....so i traded it as well....for a Saiga 308....

Original poster.....getting the point?....get a saiga.....get 2, get 3...get all 6 cal/ga offerings......they are great.....and yes...get an SKS or two as well......everyone should have an sks for deer hunting and home defense.......it will do both well enough....

only reason not to get saigas.....they are so fun to shoot that you may not be able to afford to feed them all the ammo they want.....