Botched Bubba job

Hello, I have reciently received a commission job to fix a buddys 7.62x39 Sagia whereas his friend attempted to "sculpt"a feed ramp into the inner part of the chamber to allow it to accept a 30 rnd mag. I told him that my opnion is to replace the barrel and chalk it up to a learning experience. I have assembled several ak's and a few FAL's so I know what he was trying to attempt, but I would not reccomend it. Now I need to try to locate a new or new used barrel. I am not too familiar with Sagia spec. or sites where I could order this so any help would surely be appreciated.

If the barrel is boogered up so badly as to be unrepairable, the only way to get a Saiga replacement barrel is to find someone who has sacrificed their Saiga for some other parts and pull the barrel. They are not available as an individual item.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by tritium

I'm not terribly familiar with the x39 and .223 saigas, but I've seen a few pictures, so take this with a grain or 50 of salt.

I was under the impression that the bullet guide was material you added to the chamber area. Could you not "sculpt" the area flat and install a chunk of metal the same way as Dinzag's ramps, but thicker to account for the removed stuff? What about welding a big blob of metal and resculpting it?

That's my not-so-professional opinion,

Acer

He cut a big-ass feed ramp into the barrel root, so now the case head is unsupported and will blow out the case upon firing.

That is very common problem with guys ramping Valmets to feed from Galil magazines.

However, in the hands of a skilled and determined man, it can be rewelded and blended back out....but I am no longer doing any one-off jobs like that.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

its a long shot, but attempt to ask a dealer to ask someone like RSR group for a barrel order on their next shipment....

Don't think we have Russian gun parts available to us in the USA due to previous trade agreements. If they were available we most likely would have heard about it by now.

You could convert it to 5.45x39mm since the Saiga is really a sporterized ak-74M. He could get a Bulgarian 5.45mm barrel, bolt from K-var and bullet guide from K-var. Press out the trashed barrel, mill out a slot for the bullet guide on the trunnion, press in the new barrel, headspace the new 5.45 bolt and pin the barrel in place. I think you could also use your existing gas block and front sight base. The cost of these parts may approach the price of a new Saiga though. He could sell the trashed Saiga to a tinkerer for about $100.

Edited by Strlnikov

I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell the parts left over for the price of a new gun. Let's see. Bolt $100, Operating rod $100, Operating rod spring assembly $50. Non boogered receiver $100. Front Trunion $75.

Think of all the guys who have made a "mistake", and are looking for parts. Which aren't available. I'm actually surprised that RAA doesn't break apart guns and sell the parts.

If only the barrel is affected, I have a Saiga 7.62x39 20" barrel, I would be interested in the weapon. I have read the Saiga barrel's diameter is smaller than that of a standard AK, hence it would not work in the role I had envisioned (as the "other part" for soon to be neutered AK kits).

Or we might work out a deal on the barrel for your fix.

buckmeister

Your friend could always use an American built barrel or one of the mil-surp barrels sold and have it pressed in place to replace the messed up barrel. Another solution is to have a gunsmith press a new chamber insert into the barrel but it's probably cheaper to replace it.

Centerfire Systems www.centerfiresystems.com has Yugo barrels for $14.99 and Cope's Distributing has Green Mountain US made RPK barrels for 139.99 and an M-70 barrel for 79.99 these are NOT chrome lined and the US made ones are in the white. I'm not sure if they need to be drilled for the gas hole but you'll need the gas block and front sight block to use it.

The Saiga with an RPK barrel would be something different just make sure your friend adds a feed ramp instead of trying to remove material from the chamber.