Should buffers be avoided in S12s?

It can cause cycling problems in some S-12's, especially the thick buffers.

Almost every time I have a customer call and complain about their new Tromix shotgun jamming all the time, I ask them if they put a recoil buffer in it. The answer is predominately "Yes".

Tony

Agreed, my ported one will run with one, but the factory ones tend to snag from time to time.

If you have your gas regulator set properly you shouldn't see any rear trunnion hammering.

(when it's hard to remove the recoil spring)

I've ran blackjack buffers in mine since day one with no problems also.

I picked the blackjack buffer because they are the thinnest ones out there, thus least likely to short cycle.

I've also put one in my PSL. Since the most common failure in that rifle is cracked receivers due to the force of the bolt impacting the back of the receiver.

So far the blackjack has caused no cycling problems in the PSL either.

I've ran blackjack buffers in mine since day one with no problems also.

I picked the blackjack buffer because they are the thinnest ones out there, thus least likely to short cycle.

I've also put one in my PSL. Since the most common failure in that rifle is cracked receivers due to the force of the bolt impacting the back of the receiver.

So far the blackjack has caused no cycling problems in the PSL either.

Thanks for that little bit of info there. I will put one in mine too if that's the case.

I've run buffers in most of my AKs and Saigas without any problems. A little extra protection never hurts.

I have seen guns have trouble with buffers, what I have done was make my own out of 1/4 inch rubber gasket material, the work and soften the recoil IMHO. On the down side they only last around 300 rounds.