Folding stock, which side?

• 7 months later...

Hi all.

I was wondering about the left side folder too, but didn't want to start a new thread when I saw it being discussed here. The main thing I'm concerned about with the left side folder is that (as a lefty) I'll still be able to reach the trigger well enough. Many pictures I've seen of the lefty folders make it hard to tell if a left handed person could reach the trigger well or not. Anyone out there care to share your experience?

I like the Krinkov style folders, even if they aren't a US made part. I'll have enough 922 compliant parts to not worry about it by then anyway. I believe the Krinkov requires a special hole machined in the receiver though.

Corbin

Hi all.

I was wondering about the left side folder too, but didn't want to start a new thread when I saw it being discussed here. The main thing I'm concerned about with the left side folder is that (as a lefty) I'll still be able to reach the trigger well enough. Many pictures I've seen of the lefty folders make it hard to tell if a left handed person could reach the trigger well or not. Anyone out there care to share your experience?

I like the Krinkov style folders, even if they aren't a US made part. I'll have enough 922 compliant parts to not worry about it by then anyway. I believe the Krinkov requires a special hole machined in the receiver though.

Corbin

It does not block the trigger from any orientation.

You shouldn't be firing with the stock folded, anyway ( just my opinion ).

Thanks Nalioth

I agree that for the most part, you should take advantage of the stock while firing. However, should the need arise to fire the weapon and it happened to be folded, I would want to be able to do so without having to unfold the stock first. That's all.

Corbin

I have an S12 with a Tromix stock on an Ace folding mechanism. I originally had it folding to the left, to get it out of the way of everything else. I didn't care about the optic part as I had removed the side rail to clean up the receiver appearance. However, it rather quickly became apparent that it WAS in the way. As a right handed shooter, it was blocking totally the view of loading mags, as well as interfering with the loading of the mags, unless you were sure to grip the mag far enough down to miss the bottom of the stocks butt end. It also made reaching the mag release with the removing hand thumb if using mag retention changes difficult. Also, when hanging on the sling in a ready position, in front of the body, with the stock folded, the stock put the gun out farther from the body, and it just didn't hang right, particularly with a chest rig on. It also interfered with good sling mounting.

I switched it to right side folding. I have a Galil style cocking handle, so that's not a problem. I notched the butt end of the stock where it is wider, so that the handle wouldn't get caught on it feeding the rounds and stop before fully closing. It goes right to the end of the stock, but not past, so it won't be prevented from opening. The body side of the weapon when the stock is folded is nice and flat, and sling points are now well placed. While the ejection port appears partially blocked, the ejection angle allows the shells to eject clear uninterrupted. I can see to load the mags easily, and can reach up with my thumb to remove and retain mags if desired. My hand position on the mag is no longer so important, especialy good for loading 5 round mags, as they are shorter. The only downside is that the safety is almost impossible to use. It can be operated, but it is quite difficult. However, if I am really expecting to need the weapon immediately, the safety would already be off, and the stock would be extended.

The receiver is cut to about a 2-3 degree angle, and a Tromix back plate welded in.

As far as shooting the gun with the stock folded, I had just such an occaision last month at NC Recon. We had a stage where 20 targets had to be engaged from the front seat of a mid-sized car, 10 from each side of the seat. The targets were arranged where you had to move all the way to the passenger side (you started behind the wheel), and then all the way back to the driver side to get them all. After watching 4 or 5 people fight 3 ft.+ long shotguns in the front seat, I decided to try it with the stock folded. I do have a VFG. I figured that if several shots were missed in a row, I would take a second to pop open the stock. I was able to engage the 20 targets with 23-24 shots total, not bad sitting in a car with all my gear for the day on, which is a chest rig of ammo, mag pouches for 5 mags, dump pouch, thigh holster, a med pouch full of rations, and 3L Camelback.

Sounds like a cool shooting stage, Gunfixr.

As a lefty, I imagine having the stock (leaning towards an ACE or maybe a SOCOM) fold to the left side might be best for me. Not sure if I'll even be using the side scope mount anyway. I was leaning towards a scout style mounted aimpoint or an eotech setup on the gas tube. I just wasn't sure how much room there was for my index finger with an ACE internal receiver block with stock folded. That's all.

I've heard that the external receiver block sets some folded stocks back enough to allow the 20 rd drums to go in the gun, where the internal block with pretty much any folding stock will not. Granted, I'd likely only have the stock folded for transport and probably not with the drum in it anyway, but still. I believe that using the external block would probably pull the folded stock rearward too much and block the left side of the trigger guard. Never having seen this setup in person though, I'm just speculating.

If I had to choose between not being able to fit a drum with the stock folded and not being able to fire the weapon at all with the stock folded, I'd go for the former and just use stick mags. That's not to say I wouldn't get a drum though. :up:

Corbin

• 2 months later...

I got the ACE folder with internal bloc and fold it to the right.

Folding it to the left prevent you fron being able to put or remove an optic mount on the rail (the hinge is in the way) and the stock gets in the way to change the mags.

I fold mine to the right and set it up so the stock folds under the charging handle. Works good and it is easy to shoot in folded position. I found it easier to pull the charging handle with the stock partially unfolded though.