I had a ton of trouble with getting that damned hunting stock off because the screws were so tight. I finally just bought a new flathead screw driver and it worked like it was nothin' lol.

The problem here was that my screwdriver was too worn-down and not gripping the screw. Piece o' cake ;)

Best thing I can suggest is to make sure you're using the proper size screw driver. If you've got the correct size one you can apply lots of torque to it without worrying about stripping it. If that fails just go to an auto parts store and buy an impact driver. Use the correct bit and give that sucker a couple whacks with a hammer. They'll come out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I ended up being able to ratchet the bottom one off, but the top ones was tough. I had to cut the stock off, then dremel as much as I could away from the screw, then melt the plastic with a lighter and it finally broke free. My first one wasn't nearly so difficult.

The dimpled 7.62 i have seem to have a similar problem, the screws almost seem like a mismatch, either too big or the stock holes were drilled too small....either way, it took alot of power to get them out, but i didn't have to cut it off tho...

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished removing mine and they were tough. I had to use a ratchet with a flat head screw attachment, and utilize a helper to hold the receiver steady. A tiny bit of WD-40 helped, and it also worked well to get the buttstock out by spraying some around the joint.

I will definitely pre-drill and grease the screws when I use them in the new stock.

Edited by LKB3rd

You definitely should drill a pilot hole just a little smaller than the outside diameter of the screw threads. Personally, I wouldn't lubricate the screws. Again, if you can get access to a cordless impact driver, I highly recommend them. The screws that people seem to have so much trouble with go in and out very easily when you use an impact driver. The person who had to cut the stock off never would have had to do that if they had used one.