410 home defense

There's been lots of discussion about the 410 as a home defense weapon over the last few months. Go back through the forum and look around. The general agreement is that 000 buckshot is plenty effective, with comparatively minimal wall penetration.

I agree with the light shot loading. A .410 would be a great home defense weapon shooting small BB shot. It's damn loud (if you are in front of it - or behind it in a tight hallway) and it packs quite a punch at point blank close range (across a small room). If you have a Saiga 410 - you have four rounds to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. (unless you are lucky enough to have a higher capacity magazine) Having the Saiga in hand will visually deter most any short-head that might be unlawfully entering your abode. After all, it looks like an AK. :eek: Especially when you rack a round into play, and then point it. It's not so hard to hang onto as a 12 guage, when simply doing a "Rambo" shot either. Go somewhere SAFE and practice different shooting stances and holds. Shoot it from the waist. Shoot it from the shoulder. Point it like a pistol and fire a few. These are all ways one might end up shooting in a home defense situation. Practice them all.

You will feel better and will enjoy a day at the range. :killer:

It's too bad one can't get flachette ammo for this size. :ph34r:

- Liam

I agree with the light shot loading. A .410 would be a great home defense weapon shooting small BB shot. It's damn loud (if you are in front of it - or behind it in a tight hallway) and it packs quite a punch at point blank close range (across a small room). If you have a Saiga 410 - you have four rounds to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. (unless you are lucky enough to have a higher capacity magazine) Having the Saiga in hand will visually deter most any short-head that might be unlawfully entering your abode. After all, it looks like an AK. :eek: Especially when you rack a round into play, and then point it. It's not so hard to hang onto as a 12 guage, when simply doing a "Rambo" shot either. Go somewhere SAFE and practice different shooting stances and holds. Shoot it from the waist. Shoot it from the shoulder. Point it like a pistol and fire a few. These are all ways one might end up shooting in a home defense situation. Practice them all.

You will feel better and will enjoy a day at the range. :killer:

It's too bad one can't get flachette ammo for this size. :ph34r:

- Liam

I agree with your post.... and I believe once the high cap mags are more common and cheaper the 410's will be very popular for Home Defense...

stuff102.jpg

OOHH look just what happen to be leaning between the headboard and nightstand.... :D

• 1 month later...

Nice 410 you have there! :super:

I see you have the dust cover mounted optics and light. I have the same folding stock mechanism but with an AR style stock. The hinge gets in the way of a side rail mount - when you want to slide it on or off.

Is that a standard AK top cover?

I've not yet purchased on to see if it fits, but it looks like you did.

My 410 'folder resides within quick reach of the bed also. The wife likes it being there.

- Liam

www.madwulf.com/Saiga410.htm

I would't feel (too) underarmed w/ a 410, but I also don't think that anything less than buckshot is appropriate for defensive purposes. Birdshot doesn't have sufficient mass to guarantee sufficient penetration & strike vitals. If I have to use a shotgun for defensive purposes my goal is to stop them *RIGHT NOW*, not make them hurt, or kill them 2 weeks from now. A nasty shallow would from birdshot is not sufficient to accomplish that. Which for me means the only choices for defensive use w/ a 410 is 000 buck, 00 buck, or slugs.

Edited by jhereg

Steel hulls in #3 buck as well as slugs are available, and are both great for HD. Check Sportsman's Guide, the "bear", wether silver,brown, or gold as well as Barnul ammo are all Barnul manufactured.

Steel hulls in #3 buck as well as slugs are available, and are both great for HD. Check Sportsman's Guide, the "bear", wether silver,brown, or gold as well as Barnul ammo are all Barnul manufactured.

Are you sure the steel hulls stuff is #3 buck? My understanding is that they are #3 shot which is quite a bit smaller.

Probably a typo of #4 buck.

I've got a box of the Barnaul ammo sitting next to me. It's got a black plastic cap over with a 3 on it. It has been my understanding that it's #3 shot, not #3 Buck. That would also make sense since it's my understanding that you can stack BB shot in a 410 hull like buckshot in a normal shotshell. Withthat being the case, it makes more sense to shoot 00 or 000 out of a 410 since you will have a lot more mass per pellet, and you shouldn't gain a significant # of pellets w/ the #3 buck.

Those in the wike's S-14 are older Barnul. They say 3 shot, and the cap says 3. The newer Golden Bear is #4 buck.

Both the Barnul and the Silver Bear slugs are 95 gr. Looks like it's time to rotate the ammo and stick 4 #4 in front of 5 slugs in her mags.

Those in the wike's S-14 are older Barnul. They say 3 shot, and the cap says 3. The newer Golden Bear is #4 buck.

Both the Barnul and the Silver Bear slugs are 95 gr. Looks like it's time to rotate the ammo and stick 4 #4 in front of 5 slugs in her mags.

How many #4 Buck are they fitting in a 410 shell?

How many #4 Buck are they fitting in a 410 shell?

The same as they are 00 and 000 buck, 5. It's a single stack arrangement even with #4.

• 4 weeks later...

For any out there still doubting the ability of a S-410 to weild deadly force against a two legged critter I've got a photo for you:

Warning link below leads to graphic photo of dead guy with hole in head:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/apr...esearch2_10.jpg

Reportably that's the entry hole for a 410 load of bird shot in very close quarters.

Edited with link to photo instead of just photo due to complaints.

Edited by turbo1889