I've been using VOIP for years now and it really does save you money. Mind you, my VOIP unit isn't as small as that one but is still very portable and will work off any ethernet connection in the world. I took the thing to Italy 2 years ago and hooked it up to my cousins computer. I was able to get and receive calls from family in the US with no problem and best part is when I got back my bill was still only $24.00, the same thing it is every month.

I have satellite for my internet connection, and the problem there is its like talking to someone on the moon, there is always a couple of second lag between your speech and that of the person that you are talking to. Kinda funny but frustrating at the same time.

I have satellite for my internet connection, and the problem there is its like talking to someone on the moon, there is always a couple of second lag between your speech and that of the person that you are talking to. Kinda funny but frustrating at the same time.

Is that normal, or maybe just an equipment problem?

Is that normal, or maybe just an equipment problem?

That is quite normal with satellite data transmission. There is a noticeable delay in the data transmission response time.

This is why online games don't work well over a satellite internet connection.

Your signal has to go from your modem to a sattelite in outer space, then back to the operations center, then to the internet. Then back from the internet, to the operations center, up to the satellite in space, and back down to you.

The signals can only go maximum the speed of light, and the thousands of miles of travel the signal has to go every time there is a transmit or receive by your modem, adds up to a pretty good lag in time.

And yes, online games are a PITA because everyone else has such faster ping times than you do

Your signal has to go from your modem to a sattelite in outer space, then back to the operations center, then to the internet. Then back from the internet, to the operations center, up to the satellite in space, and back down to you.

The signals can only go maximum the speed of light, and the thousands of miles of travel the signal has to go every time there is a transmit or receive by your modem, adds up to a pretty good lag in time.

And yes, online games are a PITA because everyone else has such faster ping times than you do

Actually, 0.97C is max through copper wire. It starts out on copper inside the mike, hence 0.97C. /geekspeak off.

WOW! Once in awhile all that skoolin' pays off!

Like when watching via-satellite interviews. The host asks a question, then guest stares at the camera with a smile for a few seconds, then answers :D .

Thats a great example. You sit there with that silly grin on your face while people not on satellite beat your ass on real time games :haha::haha:

But it does beat dial up

• 4 weeks later...
That is quite normal with satellite data transmission. There is a noticeable delay in the data transmission response time.

I think its because the satellite upload is much slower than the download, so the gamer delay and frame per second is too slow to play online games.

I think its because the satellite upload is much slower than the download, so the gamer delay and frame per second is too slow to play online games.

Has little to do with bandwidth. Satellite communication is high speed high delay due to built in ~500ms delay in round trip times due to distance of geosynchronous orbit where the satellite in this case is located.

Geosynchronous orbit = 22,000 miles

So your packet is traveling about 44K miles, which takes about 238ms, from your dish to the providers dish and then onward to its destination. The reply to that packet takes more or less the same route back leaving you with a default of about 476ms delay before any internet delay is factored in. Compare this to <50ms on a typical high speed land line connection.

Has little to do with bandwidth. Satellite communication is high speed high delay due to built in ~500ms delay in round trip times due to distance of geosynchronous orbit where the satellite in this case is located.

Geosynchronous orbit = 22,000 miles

So your packet is traveling about 44K miles, which takes about 238ms, from your dish to the providers dish and then onward to its destination. The reply to that packet takes more or less the same route back leaving you with a default of about 476ms delay before any internet delay is factored in. Compare this to <50ms on a typical high speed land line connection.

1000ms and up is quite common for satellite ping times.

Sorry about butting into your thread Cobra :angel: