16 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Original Russian Piston
    • Tapco Piston

Sometimes I wonder what purpose the grooves serve. They sure collect enough carbon, that maybe it helps prevent some fouling from getting further back the gas tube to the receiver.

Saiga shotguns have smooth pistons too, but the hockey puck thing in front of the piston has grooves.

Ok I give. I have seen posts somewhere that say the Saiga is different from all other AKs. Is there only one piston and will it fit my Saiga .308? I am on the tapco site and it says "AK?MAK version. will it fit my saiga as well?, thanks,

Indy

Yes, it will work fine.

cool, and thanks! anybody know or have a link for 922r parts requirements? I have seen them but was not in need at the time, now I wish I had saved them to my puter! I read somewhere that a siaga only needed one Us part to uses SF mags as the mags are three. any truth to that? or do I need to do a major rework. I have the thumbhole

saiga buttstock and it is OK by me. But I have three SF 25s and want to use them. The Tapco G2 trigger group appears to need a trigger move to use. without changing furniture what are some other Us parts to add with out machine work?

Thanks

Indy

cool, and thanks! anybody know or have a link for 922r parts requirements? I have seen them but was not in need at the time, now I wish I had saved them to my puter! I read somewhere that a siaga only needed one Us part to uses SF mags as the mags are three. any truth to that? or do I need to do a major rework. I have the thumbhole

saiga buttstock and it is OK by me. But I have three SF 25s and want to use them. The Tapco G2 trigger group appears to need a trigger move to use. without changing furniture what are some other Us parts to add with out machine work?

Thanks

Indy

I think they might have a small mention of 922r requirements on the front page of the forum.

The US made Surefire/Master Molder mags are 3 countable parts. You only need one more countable US part in a saiga rifle for compliance.

Sometimes I wonder what purpose the grooves serve. They sure collect enough carbon, that maybe it helps prevent some fouling from getting further back the gas tube to the receiver.

Saiga shotguns have smooth pistons too, but the hockey puck thing in front of the piston has grooves.

Someone told me that the grooves work in a way similar to the dimples on a golf ball the pressure equalizes around the grooves and helps to keep it centered as it travels. Same as the puck pistons on the shotguns.

Someone told me that the grooves work in a way similar to the dimples on a golf ball the pressure equalizes around the grooves and helps to keep it centered as it travels. Same as the puck pistons on the shotguns.

I am thinking to speedup my production I will add this piston to my guns and then keep the original russian hammer. shaping and re-case hardening the tapco hammer is a pain.

I am thinking to speedup my production I will add this piston to my guns and then keep the original russian hammer. shaping and re-case hardening the tapco hammer is a pain.

How are you case hardening the hammers? I've never done an AK hammer, I case harden flintlock frizzens. For small parts you can get away with a mapp gas torch for heat, rather than more expensive acetylene. Heat it until medium red, then dip in Kasenit and keep the heat on it for at least a full minute, then quench in oil. I do it at night outside and judge temperatures by the color of the steel. Maybe not the most scientific, but hey it worked fine in the old days. Supposedly you can use a mix of crushed charcoal and table sugar instead of Kasenit, but my can seems to be lasting forever so I haven't experimented with other carbon sources.

How are you case hardening the hammers? I've never done an AK hammer, I case harden flintlock frizzens. For small parts you can get away with a mapp gas torch for heat, rather than more expensive acetylene. Heat it until medium red, then dip in Kasenit and keep the heat on it for at least a full minute, then quench in oil. I do it at night outside and judge temperatures by the color of the steel. Maybe not the most scientific, but hey it worked fine in the old days. Supposedly you can use a mix of crushed charcoal and table sugar instead of Kasenit, but my can seems to be lasting forever so I haven't experimented with other carbon sources.

We use Kasenit and a pottery kiln to heat up large batches at once.

Thanks

Indy

I think they might have a small mention of 922r requirements on the front page of the forum.

The US made Surefire/Master Molder mags are 3 countable parts. You only need one more countable US part in a saiga rifle for compliance.

I understand the thumb hole stock is counted as TWO parts, therefore a saiga with the that stock, and mine with the grip built into the stock, has to have TWO parts changed. I am going to change the hammer and disconnect in mine, which will require the modification of the hammer to clear the BHO device.

Ok, I just did a search on gas pistons and read a lot of threads. Still have some questions though because I remember seeing a how-to-change thread with pictures at one point and I could not locate it.

SO there seems to be some discussion about which piston to use. the AK47 one or the AK74 one...this leaves me wondering one thing. What role if any does the shorter AK AMD-65 piston play. The AMD piston is much shorter at 5.125 inches compared to the 6 1/4 inch? piston for the 47.

Ok, I just did a search on gas pistons and read a lot of threads. Still have some questions though because I remember seeing a how-to-change thread with pictures at one point and I could not locate it.

SO there seems to be some discussion about which piston to use. the AK47 one or the AK74 one...this leaves me wondering one thing. What role if any does the shorter AK AMD-65 piston play. The AMD piston is much shorter at 5.125 inches compared to the 6 1/4 inch? piston for the 47.

THe Ak47/AKM pistons and the AK74 pistons can be freely interchanged for all practical purposes. While there is a length difference, it is something around 1/8 inch or less.

The AMD65 piston is for the AMD65 and nothing else.

Edited by nalioth

FYI, the rings are to create turbulence and therefore slow down the passage of gas across their surface.

The act as piston rings in an engine. Theorectically you should get more gas pressure.

I don't think you are going to like how the saiga hammer works, when I tried using mine it would fire when I let up on the trigger, way not cool.

Did you do any modifications to your sear? that might have caused that. I just completed 18 rifles (5 223's and 13 762x39) with out seeing that malfunction.

I have a couple questions for yall.

I just got my Saiga 7.62x39 and am getting ready to order Tapco buttstock, G2 trigger group, retaining plate, pistol grip and gas piston. Which, if I'm ready the regs right I should be US compliant.

1. I remove the Saiga gas piston can you screw the Tapco gas piston in directly or should it be drilled and plugged?

2. I was thinking of just remove the Saiga gas piston and replace w/Tapco piston and use locktite. Would it work?

Thanks.

John

I just got my Saiga 7.62x39 and am getting ready to order Tapco buttstock, G2 trigger group, retaining plate, pistol grip and gas piston. Which, if I'm ready the regs right I should be US compliant.

1. I remove the Saiga gas piston can you screw the Tapco gas piston in directly or should it be drilled and plugged?

2. I was thinking of just remove the Saiga gas piston and replace w/Tapco piston and use locktite. Would it work?

Thanks.

John

Anybody?

Yeah, you are legal. you may want to get a L-shaped retaining spring, is it cheaper and works better than the plate.

I drill it out and then use a silver solder from Brownells to lock it in and fill the dimple holes

red locktite works too