Best way to remove saigas rear sight?

Well I'm glad to see a new member using the search function effectively, even if it is reviving a 4 year old thread.

Dres, I recommend you try the hammer and punch method first. That's how I got mine out, and it is still in tact enough that I think I could reinstall it.

I found this thread through Google search, and I've been searching for about a week now. I'm not going at it with a hacksaw or a dremel (saving the sight in case I need to sell or re-use it for another project), and I've tried the punch and hammer many times. Would you mind telling me which punch size and hammer type you used? (as well as how long it took you to remove it and which exact spot you placed the punch onto?) I have a local shop that will do the conversion for me, but I find it more enjoyable to learn.

I just used one of the metal cyllinders that came with the S-12 in the metal tube as a punch. I turned the gun on its side (although some might recommend you put the gun in a vice), held the pin to the side of the rear sights, and used a small hammer to gradually knock it out. That being said, not all sights are simply fitted into place. Some are more permanently attached and may require a dremmel to remove. It mostly depends on when the gun was made as to rather or not this method was used.

Feel free to take and post pics or find some online that are similar to your setup for more accurate advice.

This method was what worked for me, YMMV.

Good info. It almost seems as if, with some guns, they heated the weapon and cooled the sight, and then put the sight in. Some wheel manufacturers use this method to assemble their wheels, providing a very permanent installation. If you're lucky, the sight will drift, but if you start to damage the sight with the punch you might as well cut it out...

i tried out the propane blow torch, heating it 3 times, first time at around 15 seconds, second time around 20, and last time at round 35 seconds, but the rear sight still didn't budge. I'll try the metal cylinder right now. If that doesn't work, I'm taking a trip to get me a hacksaw.

i tried out the propane blow torch, heating it 3 times, first time at around 15 seconds, second time around 20, and last time at round 35 seconds, but the rear sight still didn't budge. I'll try the metal cylinder right now. If that doesn't work, I'm taking a trip to get me a hacksaw.

...Do yourself a favor and post some pics before you take a hacksaw to your gun. Plenty of people on here who can tell you exactly how to get your rear sights off.

Why are you removing them anyway? Installing new sights? Or a Titan rail perhaps?

...Do yourself a favor and post some pics before you take a hacksaw to your gun. Plenty of people on here who can tell you exactly how to get your rear sights off.

Why are you removing them anyway? Installing new sights? Or a Titan rail perhaps?

The hacksaw was 20 times easier and only took a couple few minutes total. Correct, I threw on a Chaos rail with Troy HK style battlesights. Looks like I can still reuse the rear sight with a little JB Weld.

Edited by DresNightfire