Best way to remove saigas rear sight?

Basically keep pounding. Believe it drifts out better from one direction to another but don't recall if it's L to R or vice versa. Some folks apply penetrating oil beforehand, some heat the area. Once in a while nothing works and you have to dremel it out.

Use penetrating oil and them beat the snot out of it with a brass punch and BIG hammer. That should do it. The most important thing is to have the gun solidly supported (not able to rock or move) on a very hard surface. Concrete floor if you have one.

Use penetrating oil and them beat the snot out of it with a brass punch and BIG hammer. That should do it. The most important thing is to have the gun solidly supported (not able to rock or move) on a very hard surface. Concrete floor if you have one.

+1 That is how I got mine out

I took a hacksaw to the sight and cut almost all the way through the rear sight then they tap right out with a hammer.

I got my ultimak rails installed with an eotech on one and reflex on the other. I'll post some pictures in a few.

you can heat up the base around it with a propane torch, at the base of the sight and not directly on the sight, the metal expands enough that you don't have to pound the shit out of it. thats how I got mine out and put a peep sight in.

Could someome please post a before and after pic here?

Thanks,

you can heat up the base around it with a propane torch, at the base of the sight and not directly on the sight, the metal expands enough that you don't have to pound the shit out of it. thats how I got mine out and put a peep sight in.
Shoot it off. jk-

That's easier than the propane torch....guns I have, torch, no. My rear sight was in the way of my rails, so I milled out the underside of the top rail and shaved the sight a bit on the sides. I did so only after banging on it for a while with a big hammer/punch. Didn't want to damage it.

me want peep site, Krebs say no, me say give me site, Krebs say no, me still want peep site. why me always loook for something no have. me want mags, no. me want peep site, no. me want wolfbuck, no. me want more gun, no. me want drum, no. me want tony fixup gun, no. me want ronpaul, no. if me say me want no, yes

• Like 1
me want peep site, Krebs say no, me say give me site, Krebs say no, me still want peep site. why me always loook for something no have. me want mags, no. me want peep site, no. me want wolfbuck, no. me want more gun, no. me want drum, no. me want tony fixup gun, no. me want ronpaul, no. if me say me want no, yes

Was that supposed to come out that way?

Edited by saiga12fan

:lolol:

Received my Ulitimak gas tube sight rail yesterday.

It has complete directions with pictures,

made for a painless procedure.

They indicate the sight is to be drifted out to the right of the gun using "Considerable Force" on a "Well supported gun"

they also recommend removing the bolt carrier which really helped support it.

I took a hammer and a punch and drove it right off.

After i had the new rail installed it seems like something is not lined up right, could be the russian vodka quality factor but I am not worried as my sight will be fully adjustable.

Was that supposed to come out that way?

need to read like caveman, yes

KVNGort,

What kind of peep sight did you put on your S-12?

I would like to see what kind of options are available to upgrade my irons.

Thanks

Krebs ghost ring with the clamp on front post, the best money spent on accessories for my shotty yet.

KVNGort,

Thanks

Krebs ghost ring with the clamp on front post, the best money spent on accessories for my shotty yet.

Cool!, Thanks for the info!

Tony is tuning up my S-12 right now, I hope I can figure a way to mount the front sight after Tony mounts a AK style brake. May have to remove the barrel and slide it on from the breach.

KVNGort,

Thanks

Cool!, Thanks for the info!

Tony is tuning up my S-12 right now, I hope I can figure a way to mount the front sight after Tony mounts a AK style brake. May have to remove the barrel and slide it on from the breach.

Sweet, Tony's probly got some kreb's sights in stock, have him do it or look's like his sights are pretty sharp. Taking the barrel off seems like a pain in the ass, plus I don't think that would work cause the front sight base is kind of compression fit, it slips over tight from muzzle end, the chamber end would be too wide of diameter. His HK sight's might be the way to go. I know I gotta get me one of his short barrel shotties before November.

• 4 years later...

Well I'm glad to see a new member using the search function effectively, even if it is reviving a 4 year old thread.

Dres, I recommend you try the hammer and punch method first. That's how I got mine out, and it is still in tact enough that I think I could reinstall it.

Cutting with hacksaw the easiest

I spoke with Krebs a while back and as he says the Russians use tooling until it gone so it means some dovetails are smaller than others.

He also said his sights may need to be fitted so you don't need to pound them excessively.

Edited by RamLake
KVNGort,

Thanks

Thanks to this thread I just ordered me some Krebs sights. Great info here, thanks.

Edited by RedChallenger

Well I'm glad to see a new member using the search function effectively, even if it is reviving a 4 year old thread.

Dres, I recommend you try the hammer and punch method first. That's how I got mine out, and it is still in tact enough that I think I could reinstall it.

I found this thread through Google search, and I've been searching for about a week now. I'm not going at it with a hacksaw or a dremel (saving the sight in case I need to sell or re-use it for another project), and I've tried the punch and hammer many times. Would you mind telling me which punch size and hammer type you used? (as well as how long it took you to remove it and which exact spot you placed the punch onto?) I have a local shop that will do the conversion for me, but I find it more enjoyable to learn.

I found this thread through Google search, and I've been searching for about a week now. I'm not going at it with a hacksaw or a dremel (saving the sight in case I need to sell or re-use it for another project), and I've tried the punch and hammer many times. Would you mind telling me which punch size and hammer type you used? (as well as how long it took you to remove it and which exact spot you placed the punch onto?) I have a local shop that will do the conversion for me, but I find it more enjoyable to learn.

I just used one of the metal cyllinders that came with the S-12 in the metal tube as a punch. I turned the gun on its side (although some might recommend you put the gun in a vice), held the pin to the side of the rear sights, and used a small hammer to gradually knock it out. That being said, not all sights are simply fitted into place. Some are more permanently attached and may require a dremmel to remove. It mostly depends on when the gun was made as to rather or not this method was used.

Feel free to take and post pics or find some online that are similar to your setup for more accurate advice.

This method was what worked for me, YMMV.

• Like 1