Drum -ammo

From MD website:

Q: Does this drum take all 2 3/4 inch 12ga rounds? 3 inch rounds?

A: No. Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches. This drum will not accept 3 inch mag rounds and can in no way be modified to fit them.

It will fit the most of it. Actually it will hold up to about 2.44 inches. Anything above that will either rub or not fit. Luckily most 2 3/4 is well below that. Stuff that is too long is Royal, Wolf, Nobel, S&B, Silver Bear (most of the FORIEGN roll crimp and steel case rounds). Topmaul also said that PMC reduced recoil buckshot was just barely too long also.

thanks for the info Mike,watched the Florida shoot video on youtube and saw some jamming but the people didnt say what kind of ammo was used

I'm not sure what they was using. I think it was bulk pack but not sure which brand. More than likely Winchester and I am betting the jams was caused by low power fte's. Maybe one of the guys there can clear up the exact ammo used. Also note that shooting from the hip (like in the videos) will only make a low power round have even less cycling power. I have a FEW saiga's that don't like being fired from the hip with CERTAIN low brass on the #1 gas setting, this goes for stick mags in them as well.

thanks for the info Mike,watched the Florida shoot video on youtube and saw some jamming but the people didnt say what kind of ammo was used

I'm not sure what they was using. I think it was bulk pack but not sure which brand. More than likely Winchester and I am betting the jams was caused by low power fte's. Maybe one of the guys there can clear up the exact ammo used. Also note that shooting from the hip (like in the videos) will only make a low power round have even less cycling power. I have a FEW saiga's that don't like being fired from the hip with CERTAIN low brass on the #1 gas setting, this goes for stick mags in them as well.

I'll back Mike on this issue, I can't vouch for his drum (yet!), but I have fired low recoil stuff that will not feed in the shoulder at ALL using regular mags, and stuff that would only fire when held steady.

pvt joker,

Spend the money and buy the drum. Quality, Quality, Quality!!!! You guys on the list to buy are in for a treat. Mike can attest, I was interested in the magwell more than the drum, but since I have had the opportunity to try this thing out it is awesome. Anything you can commonly buy at Wal Mart seems to work fine. The fte's that I have seen seem to be from low power stuff or the gun. I have tried several hundred rounds through my newly converted gun and not had a single problem yet. Even high brass slugs have worked fine in my drum. Buy with confidence.

Phil

We also had an issue with a slug loading, that was expected from preliminary test data that was shared with us by Mike prior to the shoot.

the only issue I had was with the crap bulk ammo, and it had nothing to do with FTE or the drum feed angle or any of that. My gun chews up the cheap thin-hulled shells as they enter the chamber. I really need to get in there with a file and round off a few sharp edges that have made themselves apparant from the number of rounds I have put through my particular gun.

There was a box of leftover old shells sitting there, that I was not made aware of, or I would have run a bunch of that stuff down it, and I am fairly confident that it would have functioned flawlessly.

I have read the MD site,wanting to hear from the people who have gotten some of the first/test drums and have shot different brands of ammo through them,if its real picky about ammo Im going to stick the 10rd mags

Realisticly most people are going to shoot the lower priced shells because you can go thru alot of shells real quik!.It doesnt make a whole lot of sence to put $8 boxs of five buckshot thru a 20rd drum so, i shot what was economical and what i had stocked.Ill shoot what works and stick with it.I have tons of the foreign stuff,Wolf,Noble,S&B thats used in the 8&10 rd mags and will be used when the 3" drum hits the market.So the following rounds are what ive shot thru my test drum with success....IN MY GUN!

Federal value pack..Wally world birdshot..no problems but as Mike stated,off the hip sometimes gets a FTE

(Note this is also the case with the 8&10rd mags...In my gun)

Winchester game loads.

Federal 00Buck blue box.

Federal 1oz Slugs blue box

Winchester Super X 00buck.

Remington express 00buck.

Remington express 1oz+ slugs.

Older Peters game loads.

I also shot some old Winchester trap loads that worked ok..a couple FTE.

I tried some OLD trap reloads that didnt fair to well.The hulls..AA,Peters were likely reloaded many times so

there better off used in a O/U shotgun :blink:

ok,I broke out some ammo to check the different lengths,wolf and sellier & bellot are ALOT longer,remington buck and sluggers,brenneke K.O., federal slug/blue box,federal bird,winchester bird,remington bird are close to another in length,Im just eye balling it, my 500rds of wolf and S&B will shot in the mags,thanks for the info everyone