AGP Mags vs Factory Izhmash

the relaiblity is an arguable issue.

i have ten AGP mags. I have put at least 100 through each mag (10 loadings) and all have performed flawlessly. Others have had to tweek theirs.

In fact, I had 2 factory 8 rounders. I sold them since my 10 rounders were 100% reliable. I couldn't see having the $$ wrapped up in factory when i got the same results from mags that cost 1/3 as much.

Caspian

Where are you going to buy Izhmash magazines?

I think the last one I saw for sale was in the for sale section. It sold for $150. Rusmilitary.com is "sold out".

The full Gen-2 AGP magazine can be loaded on a closed bolt. I have gotten down to less than 3 seconds, shot to aimed shot.

No amount of practice I have done with the "stock" Izhmash 8 round magazines will let me come anywhere close. Most of the time I really have to struggle to get the magazine to seat. However, If I replace the Izhmash follower with the AGP Gen-2 follower, spring and bottom spring retainer, I am able to load with the same speed.

Now, I have acquired a Russian mag well. I have modified 5 round Izhmash magazines to fit (had to grind off the front tab and plastic weld a "hump" on the back). They work great. Jam 'em in, shoot, hit the "extended magazine release", and they jump out. When I eyed my 8 round Izhmash magazines to grind down, they screamed at me, 'hey dummy, you can sell us for $150 or more". The AGP mags gave me problems, because when you grind off the front tab, you have to remove the top front screw and weld the two pieces together. Don't have to weld on a back hump, because there is a seam at the right location.

The problem with the modified AGP mag occurred when I was practicing shooting and reloading. I would drop the mag on the ground. After my practice session, my welds were cracked on two of the three magazines. My next weld job cut a trough at the seam and filled it with material from a Gen-1 spring retainer, which I believe has a strengthening filler. My next practice session resulted in no failures.

I Vote: AGP Gen-2.

Edited by oldandslow
Is there much quality difference between an AGP mag and a Izhmash? Have any of you guys had problems with either?

What mag do you guys recommend?

OEM lock in SOLID, with no movement. AGPs wobble a little. The plastic on AGP mags appears to be softer.

Regardless, AGPs are still great mags, but I prefer OEM.

Mike Davidson has a video. He is in the For Sale section. Right now he is concentrating on his 20 round drum.

You can see the item on Rusmilitary.Com

I have attached a picture.

have acquired a Russian mag well. quote]

What is this magwell I'm hearing about? Where can I find more info on a magwell for a S12?

post-4457-1206669089_thumb.jpg

I would have to say I like th factory 8 rounders better than any other,..

I have had a couple of problems with the 10 rounders. I also like the factory 5 rounders and the AGP 10 rounders.

I have to say you can drop a lot of change ($$) down range with then 10 rounders,...

Oh, and don't use Graphite as a lube on either!

GG

An OEM mag will load on a closed bolt with 8 rounds, it just takes a little bit different technique, and practice. However, I think some Saiga's have tighter mag wells and are a bit tougher to do it, so it's discouraging. I shoot with another member who's gun is like this, it's a PITA, but I can do it. He can't :haha:

The AGP's plastic may be a BIT more brittle, but I've had zero problems with them so far. I will say I prefer the 8's as they are the perfect size. That being said, the 8's aren't worth the money.

If someone would sneak their way into the Cobra compound and find the cache of "black gold", the forum would be set for life.

Always fuckin with me man!

shaneman likes to watch wrestling all day long in the nude, while cleaning his guns.......

oh. Wait. that's me!

Yes. I admit. I do not use the push mag method. I love to use my BHO. It's faster for me. I do not compete in competition with my S-12. I enjoy the original look. I'm holding out for the magwells from MikeD. Then I'll worry about Tap Rack Bang.

Dick.......lol

Oops. almost forgot. Original topic. I used shanemans AGP's, and my 8rds. I like the AGP's for price. I wouldn't have touched a $100.00 dollar mag had these been around back in 2004-2005 when I finally got my dream saiga. But I appreciate my S-12 for all the money I spent. Hell. I can't afford to sell it now!

LOL

But I know I'll use only factory 8rd, and probably 5 rounders, when I SBS this bad boy.

Thanks for the input guys. I have both some OEM and one AGP mag. I havent had any problems with the AGP but have had some with a OEM mag not feeding right. It causes gun to jam off and on. Any ideas on why it would cause jam on non modified gun? How do you tell the difference between a 1st and 2nd gen AGP?