Does anyone have a C&R on this board? I've been thinking about getting one, just because if I had one, I would probably own one of each of all the eligible stuff in SGN. I would go for an FFL, but I have no storefront, and I'm pretty sure the zoning won't allow it here.

Now the reason I'm going back and forth - Does the ATF have the right to kick your door down and "raid" if you have a C&R? If so, it may not be worth it.

Shane

C&R.....i have one.....does the ATf have the right to kick the door down....well...not in my opinion, but they do have the right to stop by and inspect your books and make sure that what you are buying is not being sold as if you were a dealer.....so yes you can still get inspected

they have not checked on me, of course...i have bought a whooping two guns with mine.

i'm currently considering going for an FFL 01 so that i can actually do full transfers, do some small dealing to supplement the income.....

i think as long as you are good wiht your paperwork there is not going to be an issue. My main job is based on federal regulations and compliance with them.......i can do it there....i can do it with my hobby knowledge as well......just more regs to read and follow...

A C&R is great to have and a good way to get some really interesting and neat firearms. If you're not breaking any laws you've nothing to fear. Suspect the ATF has much better things to do than check on C&R's randomly. It's only $30 and relatively easy to apply for, and is processed in a few weeks.

Sweet. I think I'll go for it, already requested the paperwork. If I had the bastard I would have already ordered this nice Russian Mak I found earlier. I didn't know they were eligible. Thanks guys.

I'd go ahead and get a lisitng of the authorized C&R firearms. Modern firearms are usually not on that list and cannot be gotten with a C&R license. Of course, some really interesting ones can be like Mosin-Nagant rifles, a lot of pistols/revolvers, etc. Don't know about a Mak.

Edited by Aethelbert
Sweet. I think I'll go for it, already requested the paperwork. If I had the bastard I would have already ordered this nice Russian Mak I found earlier. I didn't know they were eligible. Thanks guys.

When your license arrives there will be a booklet delineating all the eligible C&R firearms.

I'd go ahead and get a lisitng of the authorized C&R firearms. Modern firearms are usually not on that list and cannot be gotten with a C&R license. Of course, some really interesting ones can be like Mosin-Nagant rifles, a lot of pistols/revolvers, etc. Don't know about a Mak.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/relics/i....htm#SEC.%20II:

Russian or East German qualify, supposedly since those countries "don't exist" anymore.

C&R is the best deal going (at least from the govment). $30 for 3 years, and anything C&R shipped to your door. Also dealer prices on most stuff from many dealers. The BATFE will send you a thick book of what is C$R as well as books with nearly every firearms law there is, as well as their FFL newsletters, notices.

I'm an 03 FFL too. It is worth it. Brownell's, Midway and many other places will give you a discount. You can have C&R guns shipped straight to your doorstep on the Big Brown Truck. Bookkeeping requirements are simple.

Most Makarovs are C&R eligible. The sweetest 9x18 currently on the market is the CZ Vz.82. They are 1980's manufacture yet somehow the ATF has blessed them as C&R.

I'm an 03 FFL too. It is worth it. Brownell's, Midway and many other places will give you a discount. You can have C&R guns shipped straight to your doorstep on the Big Brown Truck. Bookkeeping requirements are simple.

Most Makarovs are C&R eligible. The sweetest 9x18 currently on the market is the CZ Vz.82. They are 1980's manufacture yet somehow the ATF has blessed them as C&R.

yup...got one....so far....may get another.....that is a great feeling left hand gun.

as low as $160....what a deal!

Does anyone have a C&R on this board? I've been thinking about getting one, just because if I had one, I would probably own one of each of all the eligible stuff in SGN. I would go for an FFL, but I have no storefront, and I'm pretty sure the zoning won't allow it here.

Now the reason I'm going back and forth - Does the ATF have the right to kick your door down and "raid" if you have a C&R? If so, it may not be worth it.

Shane

They cannnot "raid" your shit. They have to set up an appointment w/ you if they want to review your bound book, and then you have the option of them coming to your place or you going into the lions den and going to their office. I've never heard of them reviewing a C&R holders book though, we get left alone pretty good. You will go broke saving money with a C&R, mine has cost me thousands.

If you did have a C&R and bought firearms that were C&R and later on you wanted to sell some to get something else what would you have to do? Go through an FFL?

You are allowed to sell a certain number of your C&R firearms yearly without being considered a dealer. It's in the statutes somewhere. Been told but cannot verify that the C&R seller should call in a NICS check on the buyer, same as any other class FFL. Anyone know for sure?

There is no fixed number of how many you can sell without being considered a business. Use your head though, if you buy 30 and sell 25 the next week, hmmm, you might have some explaining to do. So long as you are gettign rid of them to "enhance your collection" and not running a business you are OK.

When you renew it there is a spot on the form asking how many you have "disposed of", but nothing further.

As for the NICS, as a C&R holder you cannot call it. It is for dealers only, you are a collector. When you dispose of a gun, you go by the same rules as if you were an ordinary dude (because you are). The only thing is, you have to put the buyers info (name, address, DL# or equivalant) in your bound book. If the state you are in requires all weapons to go through a FFL dealer, then you still have to do that.

And before somone asks, here's the deal with C&R eligible guns you already own before gettign the license:

If you own it before you get the license, you do not need to log it in your book... unless you sell it. If you sell it, at that time you log it into your book, and then right out to the buyer.

Also, you must log in all C&R eligible guns obtained WHILE YOU HAVE the license. Not just ones you obtained WITH your license.

For instance, if you buy a M38 at Joes Gun Shop, fill out a 4473, he calls in the NICS, and you it home, you log it in your book, even though your C&R never came into play, the same as if you order a gun from AIM Surplus and send them your license and they mail it you the gun, you log it in your book.