promag 10 rounder holds 11!

hey guys my friend picked up a promag 10 rnd mag at a local gun show. when he filled it up it holds 11! now some of you might be thinking who cares its just 1 extra but we live in CA and anything over 10 is illegal unless you bought it preban. I know its meant to hold 10, but that 1 extra scares him and me. What should he do? trash it and forget about it? call promag? anyone else seen this before?

hey guys my friend picked up a promag 10 rnd mag at a local gun show. when he filled it up it holds 11! now some of you might be thinking who cares its just 1 extra but we live in CA and anything over 10 is illegal unless you bought it preban. I know its meant to hold 10, but that 1 extra scares him and me. What should he do? trash it and forget about it? call promag? anyone else seen this before?

If it bothers you, just don't load more than 10 rounds in it. It's a 10 round mag, and manufactured/sold as such. You didn't modify it to hold that extra round, so I don't think (I would hope not) you could be hit with anything, legality wise.

Ignoring the problem wont make it go away. I'd call promag and see what they say about a possible exchange or fix. The law says nothing about how many rounds you put in the magazine, but rather the "capacity" of the magazine.

(d) The following definitions shall apply under this section:

(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.

(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

I'm not an attorney, so do your own reading; I only posted input on this topic as I'm currently doing research on what constitutes "permanently altered" so that I can buy 30rd mag parts and use them to build 10rd Cali legal mags.

Chris

The law says nothing about how many rounds you put in the magazine, but rather the "capacity" of the magazine.

True, but at the same time, they are sold as 10 round mags. Any problems that may arise would be on the manufacturer (hopefully). Cali law says that those mags are legal, so he's using them. He's not doing anything wrong.

exactly im torn between what both of you are saying. The mag is a 10 rounder and sold as such but it does not actually say 10 rounds anywhere on them. To someone that does not know "those are the 10 rounders" and might check for maximum space and then fits in 11.... The only reason we found out is he was filling it with out counting from a 20 rnd box and when done only had 9 left.

Has anyone else seen this with promag? he only bought one mag so we cant see if its common. I will try emailing them and see what options i have. thx

Yeah, as long as you have (and keep) your receipt that shows its a 10 rounder, and you haven't modified it, I'd say you're ok. Have you actually shot 11 rounds through it? or just crammed 11 rounds in it? If you haven't, it may not shoot with the 11 rounds in it. anyway, good luck!!

I'm no familiar with Kali law. Is it illegal to possess a mag over 10 rds OR illegal to put such a mag in your gun?

Like was said above, if you can cram 11 in there that doesn't necessarily mean it will feed that first round. They probably left a little extra room to allow it to be inserted and work.

If you are that worried about it either get them to fix the problem for you by offering a special Kali extended follower, or just fix it yourself by epoxying a small extension to the inside of the follower. Or you could put a capacity limiter in there. Let me know if you need help with that.

exactly im torn between what both of you are saying. The mag is a 10 rounder and sold as such but it does not actually say 10 rounds anywhere on them. To someone that does not know "those are the 10 rounders" and might check for maximum space and then fits in 11.... The only reason we found out is he was filling it with out counting from a 20 rnd box and when done only had 9 left.

Has anyone else seen this with promag? he only bought one mag so we cant see if its common. I will try emailing them and see what options i have. thx

I'd say go with whatever you think will save your ass. No sense risking anything because of what some said on a forum. I was just putting my .02 in :D .

*heads off to see if any of my mags fit more rounds than are intended.

It's actually pretty common with the pro mags to hold 11 rounds it you really stuff them in there. I'd have to say that it will not fire the first round though. If you put the mag in with 11 rounds and the bolt closed you won't be able to cycle the bolt back to strip the first round. The magazine has to have enough clearance in it to allow for the bolt to pass over the rounds and strip off that first round. Ideally you want to have the capacity for half of an extra bullet in the magazine. It sounds like yours is just a cunt hair too big. I'd call them up and explain the problem to them and hope they exchange it for you.

It's actually pretty common with the pro mags to hold 11 rounds it you really stuff them in there. I'd have to say that it will not fire the first round though. If you put the mag in with 11 rounds and the bolt closed you won't be able to cycle the bolt back to strip the first round. The magazine has to have enough clearance in it to allow for the bolt to pass over the rounds and strip off that first round. Ideally you want to have the capacity for half of an extra bullet in the magazine. It sounds like yours is just a cunt hair too big. I'd call them up and explain the problem to them and hope they exchange it for you.

I Think youre right. My Bushy 30 rd mags for my 223 hod 32 and function just fine that way, but Im sure its just extra space for teh spring to expand. One of teh mags for my XD does teh same thing with a extra round, teh others wont. I wouldnt worry about it unless youre loading that "spare" round.

hey guys thanks for all the advice, he emailed promag and is waiting for a reply. Also, he has not tried shooting it yet, he just loaded it up because he likes to have his mags fully ready to go. He did not "cram" it in either, he loaded it as usual until full, the last round did not feel tighter than normal and like i said we only noticed because of the 9 that were left.

I have the exact same problem, and it IS illegal to have a mag that will hold more than 10 rounds, whether that was the intent of the manufacturer or not. It still physically holds more than 10, that's all that matters.

I have a feeling either ProMag will supply a different follower that is slightly taller to prevent the 11th round from getting loaded, or advice on how to block the follower to not load 11 also.

Please follow up this thread with the solution, I'm waiting for it too! Meanwhile, I have disassembled the mag so it is merely parts so as not to have a 'magazine' that will hold more than 10. I advise he do the same until an answer is reached!

Cheers,

Paul

hey guys thanks for all the advice, he emailed promag and is waiting for a reply. Also, he has not tried shooting it yet, he just loaded it up because he likes to have his mags fully ready to go. He did not "cram" it in either, he loaded it as usual until full, the last round did not feel tighter than normal and like i said we only noticed because of the 9 that were left.

Call me "Captain Obvious", but did he actually count the rounds in the mag afterward, by unloading it? I mean, maybe 1 round got loose somewhere and isn't even in the mag :D .

Unlikely? Sure. But weirder things have happened.

"Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

doesn;t that mean that no matter what it was built for, if it holds more your fucked????

as i read that(by no means am i a law man in any way so dont take this to heart) to me it says,"If it holds 11, your liable for 11 bullets in your gun." This is very thin ice your walking on. Just because you read it one way does not mean the lawyer on the other side is reading it the same way. I live in Texas so its not really a big deal, but being in the PRK watch your back. i don't want to see a board member going to jail over a bad mag.

This quote says it can not have a feeding ramp altered to hold 11, his mag is not altered, it just holds 11. so therefor it is one too big. I'm not on the bad side im just stating how i would read this law if it were just sat in front of me.

"Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

doesn;t that mean that no matter what it was built for, if it holds more your fucked????

as i read that(by no means am i a law man in any way so dont take this to heart) to me it says,"If it holds 11, your liable for 11 bullets in your gun." This is very thin ice your walking on. Just because you read it one way does not mean the lawyer on the other side is reading it the same way. I live in Texas so its not really a big deal, but being in the PRK watch your back. i don't want to see a board member going to jail over a bad mag.

This quote says it can not have a feeding ramp altered to hold 11, his mag is not altered, it just holds 11. so therefor it is one too big. I'm not on the bad side im just stating how i would read this law if it were just sat in front of me.

yes, and when it seems to be decided in court............we, the gun owner most often loose.

lol yes it holds 11 we unloaded then loaded it 3 times to make sure! also how does he disassemble it? and im not really 100% sure but from what ive seen handguns cannot hold more than 10 rounds also here.

Yeah, mine definitely holds more than 10 also, easily. It's almost like it was made to accept 11 and not 10 it's so easy.

Anyway, to disassemble the magazine, just like any other mag, press in the 'button' or catch at the bottom of the mag with a small screwdriver or probe, and push the baseplate sideways, out of position until you can remove it. Be careful because there is a LOT of potential energy stored away in that spring, and if not controlled, WILL put your eye out!

I have all the parts in separate locations...

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what promag has to say.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by PonchoTA

hey guys great news, i just got off the phone with promag. They were very nice and all they needed was my name and adress. They said i will be getting a prepaid envelope in the mail to send the mag to them to either fix or replace. So im very happy with CS and feel at ease.

hey guys great news, i just got off the phone with promag. They were very nice and all they needed was my name and adress. They said i will be getting a prepaid envelope in the mail to send the mag to them to either fix or replace. So im very happy with CS and feel at ease.

Ok, post up!! Or send me a PM with info please!

Tks!

Paul

Nice to see they are willing to correct the problem :up: . So did they say that's how they all are, or is there a bad batch floating around?