Various Saiga 12 Questions

I'm planning on getting a Saiga 12 after this deployment. Looks to be an absolutely badass shotgun, and I'm definately looking forward to having some fun with it.

Anyway, I was wondering what are the best slugs to get for ranged (100m or so) engagements. There are three main types that I know of: regular, rifled, and sabot. Which would be best for shooting ranged targets with the smooth-bore Saiga? I'm looking for slugs that I can get for relatively cheap, bulk-style. Also, I was planning on having 3" slug rounds, for that little extra 'umph'.

I was planning on using Wolf 2/34" 00 buck for my buckshot rounds.

Also, I found a website (www.keepshooting.com) that sells their own 5-round Saiga 12 mags (i.e. not factory) for $20 a pop (if you buy over 3 at a time)...does anyone have experience with these? Is there a place where I can get factory mags for that price or less?

Also, I hope to get a 'tactical' version right off the bat (via Atlantic Firearms, which sometimes has them in stock), but if that's not possible...where can I find a place that will do the conversion? I know of Tromix, but they are ridiculously backed up. Are there any other places? Better still, are there any in the Georgia/Alabama area? I read over the thing on how to convert it by oneself, but I'd prefer to have it done professionally if possible.

Thanks for any and all input. I don't know a whole lot about the Saiga 12, so if there's anything anyone can add that would be helpful, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I have shot

Brennenke KO Slugs to be exact, perhaps not a true sabot, but close,.. out of mine,..

But I have a shorter barrel with No choke an they worked like high power ammo,

and they were fun to shoot,..

We were getting nice groupings on paper in the 30 - 40 yard range.

Do not shoot sabots there meant for a rifled barrel only. U should do the conversion urself its cheaper and i enjoyed doing mine.
Edited by Gas Giant
where can I find a place that will do the conversion? I know of Tromix, but they are ridiculously backed up. Are there any other places? Better still, are there any in the Georgia/Alabama area? I read over the thing on how to convert it by oneself, but I'd prefer to have it done professionally if possible.

Some people (not you) seem to talk about Saiga conversions as if it's magical voodoo. Just take it to a local reputable gunsmith and be done with it. Any gunsmith worth their salt should be able to easily do it - it's not rocket science, and it's on a platform that they are likely to be very familiar with (AKs and AK variants).

Some people (not you) seem to talk about Saiga conversions as if it's magical voodoo. Just take it to a local reputable gunsmith and be done with it. Any gunsmith worth their salt should be able to easily do it - it's not rocket science, and it's on a platform that they are likely to be very familiar with (AKs and AK variants).

Converting a Saiga shotgun is a couple hours in your garage on a nice afternoon. It's not rocket science, and I will say that any money paid to a gunsmith to do is a waste of money.

Edited by nalioth
I'm planning on getting a Saiga 12 after this deployment. Looks to be an absolutely badass shotgun, and I'm definately looking forward to having some fun with it.

Anyway, I was wondering what are the best slugs to get for ranged (100m or so) engagements. There are three main types that I know of: regular, rifled, and sabot. Which would be best for shooting ranged targets with the smooth-bore Saiga? I'm looking for slugs that I can get for relatively cheap, bulk-style. Also, I was planning on having 3" slug rounds, for that little extra 'umph'.

I was planning on using Wolf 2/34" 00 buck for my buckshot rounds.

Also, I found a website (www.keepshooting.com) that sells their own 5-round Saiga 12 mags (i.e. not factory) for $20 a pop (if you buy over 3 at a time)...does anyone have experience with these? Is there a place where I can get factory mags for that price or less?

Also, I hope to get a 'tactical' version right off the bat (via Atlantic Firearms, which sometimes has them in stock), but if that's not possible...where can I find a place that will do the conversion? I know of Tromix, but they are ridiculously backed up. Are there any other places? Better still, are there any in the Georgia/Alabama area? I read over the thing on how to convert it by oneself, but I'd prefer to have it done professionally if possible.

Thanks for any and all input. I don't know a whole lot about the Saiga 12, so if there's anything anyone can add that would be helpful, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum, you'l like it here, good people with lots of help. Thank you for your service, I appreciate your willingness to go in harms way for those back here as well as those there.

My Saiga will take any kind or size of slug or 00 that I can fine. Even the cheap Winchester Walmart stuff. Although 3" magnums tend to take some of the fun out of high round count sesions it's all good. The $20 mags you mention are great and function as factory in mine, get lots instead of the 10 rounders. As for the advice of converting your own, I agree, it is not all that hard and you really get to know your weapon. A lot cheaper too than buyin one someone else has done. Use the money saved to stock up on ammo.

Pray for you to be home safe an soon, keep grinnin n shootin.

Do not shoot sabots there meant for a rifled barrel only. U should do the conversion urself its cheaper and i enjoyed doing mine.

You can shoot sabots through a Saiga (but not if it has a fixed full choke). There is a 4" rifled choke tube available for the threaded guns that will spin the round and discard the sabot.