Saiga 7.62 vs. Yugo SKS

New poster here.

I have a Yugo SKS, which I find to be robust, reliable, and accurate. What might the advantages be to switching to a Saiga?

SKS is an awesome rifle but the advantages are:

- Chromed barrel

- Detachable Mags with larger capacities

- Side scope mount

- Probably better factory trigger :unsure:

The yugos build rifles like friggin tanks!

Exactly.

I've never held a Saiga before. Are they as tough? How well do they shoulder? What are the sights like?

The Yugo SKS is heavy, shoulders poorly (compared to a Marlin 1894), and has sights that are hard to see. The heavy weight is a slight advantage in recoil, but not so good for carrying.

Saiga's are russian built AK-47's with a sporter stock, so therefor they are tough as they come. They have typical AK style iron sights, which arn't to bad. as for weight, they are pretty light (compared to a SKS). Shouldering with the original stock is exceptional, modify them as you see fit.

as i say, with these guns, your imagination is the limit(moding wise, check out the picture gallery!)... and you have the quality and durability of a russian build weapon.

i started out skeptical, and now i couldn't have been more happy in my purchase... you'll really enjoy owning this firearm!!

Edited by The-Beast
No retarded gas valve...

Though you can fix the valve.

I like the Yugo SKS as well, when they work, they work well...

Sorry

Buy both!

Edited by Kevin C

I own Saigas and a Yugo SKS. I really like the SKS, but it is longer and heavier than the 16" barrel 7.62X39 Saigas. Saigas are very tough, and are more reliable than an SKS. Saigas are also more customizable. It is much easier to mount optics on a Saiga than on an SKS. If you can afford it, keep the SKS AND get one or more Saigas.

Edited by hogdog

My friend has been looking for an SKS, and I'm considering trading up. I just wanted to know more about the Saiga before I took the time to track one down.

The next question: do I stick with x39 (and the cheap cases of rounds I bought a few years back) or go to .223? I reload for several calibers now, and in the long run I'm not sure if one is cheaper than the other to reload.

The SKS was intended to be a SHTF weapon. While I'll keep a stash of factory ammo, I intend to load a lot more.

i own both also. i like them both too. they Yugo is quite bulky, but if you remove the bayo, grenade sights, and flash hider/grenade launcher it should lighten it up quite a bit. a little too front heave to say the least. (but that might be getting into 922r territory) i have done the Tapco T-6 stock swap and it helped a little bit. some people like the wood stock, to each there own. if you get the T-6 you have the option of adding a scope right on the gas tube since there is a rail the for mounting options. as for the Saiga, superb gun man, would suggest it to anyone looking to buy a nice AK! well worth every penny spent!!! if you are already reloading the .223 i would stick to that since your already there. i like the 7.62 myself...also they are not worth reloading. either way if you can get BOTH...DO IT!

Edited by sicktooth

All of the above except for Kevin WTF!!! I dont know what he's on,

I have both, the Saiga is a AKM with a sporter stock made in the same factory on the same machines as all AK's, its lighter, simple to strip and good enough for minute of man out to 300yds I love shooting it however I still love my SKS and wouldn't part with it.

Buy the Saiga you wont regret it but its better to have both.

The 7.62 is cheaper and has much more knock down power, especially at close range. The disadvantage is it will bruise the meat all to heck on small to medium game, unlike a .223. So the .223 is a better survival weapon for SHTF.

BBBBBUUUTTTTT.........I own a Bushy .223, a KelTec .223 and my Saiga 7.62 amongst other things and if the sky was turning red and I was running out the door, I would grab the Saiga.

I figure I could use it to pick up another .223 somewhere along the way. :rolleyes:

I have both, and both have their good and bad points. For my SKS I have 500 rounds of 7.62x39 already loaded onto stripper clips, which can be picked up for less than a buck apiece. Decent 30-round detachable mags for an AK cost at least $15, so in terms of sustained firepower the SKS has some advantages. The other advantage to the SKS is that you can fire and reload from a prone position without a detachable mag sticking out from the bottom of the weapon and getting in the way. While I doubt I would ever need it, my Yugo also has a pretty mean looking bayonet. It is also slightly more accurate.

The Saiga is lighter, smaller, handier and has the benefits of a detachable hi-cap mag. Its also easier to put a scope or reflex sight on. Its got a chrome-lined bore that the SKS lacks. It is also a bit easier to field strip and clean.

If you decide to get a Saiga, pick the 7.62x39 chambering. Its a better hunting round, it hit harder, its WAAAY cheaper, and it is compatible with your SKS. 7.62x39 is what commie-bloc guns were supposed to fire.

No retarded gas valve...

Though you can fix the valve.

I like the Yugo SKS as well, when they work, they work well...

Sorry

Buy both!

Actually I did, but the FBI only let me keep the Saiga after I got my green card... :haha:

The saiga is an AKM pattern, and is FAR MORE ROBUST, as well as being a better proven design. ALSO you can get replacement parts for it, where some SKS parts are drying up.

I never liked the SKS, to be honest. The AKM pattern, and Saiga, is one hell of a weapon, and will serve you until the day that you die, and will serve your children, as well, with minimal parts to be replaced, which you can MAKE yourself. Nevermind that to clear problems with the Siaga (AKM), it is VERY simple and straightforward.

SKS has not interested me for more than an 1/8th of a second, since discovering the russian-made Saigas. A saiga12 has replaced my personal defense weapon, which was a mossberg500 previously. I would expect the same from any rifle, if i deemed it nessecary to have a rifle for my own defense and practical use, which I do, and it is also an AKM pattern rifle.

I will take my peasant gun over any of the rest, and I am not ashamed of my choice, nor my reasons for it.

CGW,

Not trying to be smart, but the SKS is pretty well built - do you own one?

It's my only military style, but among my many rifles and other kinds of tools, I consider it to be really built. An AKM is tougher, more reliable? I really need to handle one of these!

Not trying to be smart, but the SKS is pretty well built - do you own one?

It's my only military style, but among my many rifles and other kinds of tools, I consider it to be really built. An AKM is tougher, more reliable? I really need to handle one of these!

Let me pose a thought experiment to you...

If the SKS was better in ANY WAY than an AK design rifle, why aren't all the countries in the world that USE AK style rifles using SKS style rifles instead?!?!? The SKS was around longer, they knew about them... If it were better they would be using them... Think about that... :up:

Also... YES... I OWN ONE... mine is a Yugo, with all the hooplah on it... it was in about new / unfired condition when I bought it, and to be honest... it is heavy, loud, and unweildy. It looks pretty and has some very pretty wood on it, and the metal is about 99.8%.... But when the SHTF... I will grab for the AK every time... :up:

:smoke:

As I said, I really need to handle one.

This discussion has prompted me to do just that.

As for better, more popular, etc., there are plenty of AR15's, M16's, M4's, FN-FAL's, etc. in worldwide use. I don't really care for who uses more of what - world politics plays a big part there - I was only looking for an objective comparison from those with experience with both.

Edited by homefront
If the SKS was better in ANY WAY than an AK design rifle, why aren't all the countries in the world that USE AK style rifles using SKS style rifles instead?!?!?

Because they cost more to manufacture, are harder to maintain, have smaller magazines and most third world countries don't place a premium on accuracy? :ded:

I have both and think they're both great but since all of my combat is against paper targets I have to say I like using the SKS more.

The 7.62 is cheaper and has much more knock down power, especially at close range. The disadvantage is it will bruise the meat all to heck on small to medium game, unlike a .223. So the .223 is a better survival weapon for SHTF.

I respectfully disagree. The 7.62x39 will penetrate and stay intact better, it is a fine deer cartridge out to 100-150 yards. The .223 will tumble, keyhole or even blow up inside the target. It is a horrible round for hunting medium to large game. A lightweight, hight velocity round will cause more bruising and damage to the meat than a heavier, slower one that stays intact and exits the body.

If the SKS was better in ANY WAY than an AK design rifle, why aren't all the countries in the world that USE AK style rifles using SKS style rifles instead?!?!? The SKS was around longer, they knew about them... If it were better they would be using them... Think about that... :up:

Is the AK an overall better military weapon than the SKS? Yes. Does that mean that the SKS doesn't still have some specific advantages over the AK? No. SKS's are cheaper; they are every bit as durable and reliable as an AK, and in the case of the Yugo's they are a bit more accurate. They can also be fired and reloaded from the prone position without a huge 30-round mag sticking out of the bottom. Their internal magazines are reliable and protected from damage, whereas if you drop your AK mag and bend the feed lips you had better find a replacement for it or your gun is now a single-shot. I agree with you that if TSHTF I would grab my Saiga first, but I would not hesitate for a second to rely on my Yugo SKS for survival either.

I respectfully disagree. The 7.62x39 will penetrate and stay intact better, it is a fine deer cartridge out to 100-150 yards. The .223 will tumble, keyhole or even blow up inside the target. It is a horrible round for hunting medium to large game. A lightweight, hight velocity round will cause more bruising and damage to the meat than a heavier, slower one that stays intact and exits the body.

I'm not math inclined. But from experience on small to medium game (All we have in Texas), I have shot whitetail with a 30.06 and with a 22-250. The 22 round goes clean through, the .06 waist the quarter it went through.

Just my experience.........but I like that light round for light game.

Is the AK an overall better military weapon than the SKS? Yes. Does that mean that the SKS doesn't still have some specific advantages over the AK? No. SKS's are cheaper; they are every bit as durable and reliable as an AK, and in the case of the Yugo's they are a bit more accurate. They can also be fired and reloaded from the prone position without a huge 30-round mag sticking out of the bottom. Their internal magazines are reliable and protected from damage, whereas if you drop your AK mag and bend the feed lips you had better find a replacement for it or your gun is now a single-shot. I agree with you that if TSHTF I would grab my Saiga first, but I would not hesitate for a second to rely on my Yugo SKS for survival either.

If you compare stamped weapons to stamped weapons (Excluding milled weapons like M1, etc.) I'm sure that millions of communist and middle eastern folks cant be wrong. Its the weapon of choice.

That was some great communist marketing in the early 50's to get it going though. Got to hand it to them.

My intent was NOT TO DIS ON AN SKS by ANY MEANS... Just that when comparing an AK to an SKS, the AK is a BETTER CHOICE for an *ALL AROUND* weapon...

I DO love my SKS... it just has its place... and that is NOT as my first choice of weapon were the SHTF and I needed to "bug out"...

If I DIDNT have an AK... would I grab my SKS???

No... I think second choice would be my PSL... LOL ( Yeah, I know, its still an ak... hahahaha)