Cheap, abundant oil is history. So goes oil, so goes our standard of living.

All the morons advocating "pump OUR oil, don't buy from the turban-knockers" are going to see the error of their ways when our worthless dollars don't buy the shit anymore.

Logic says you do anything BUT use your domestic "stash" until you are forced to.

I know the thread is about food, but the two are intertwined. Too many friggen people is the root cause. Too many energy hogs, as well.

We are the most guilty when it comes to that.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

We live in strange times.

Global commodity prices at mulityear high's pushed upward by the weak dollar, speculation, and increasing depand with limited supply.

It may be a good time to go down to Sam's Club/Costco and buy some bulk rice and dried pasta. That stuff lasts a long time and good for SHTF rations.

Remeber, ammo is a commodity as well.

I'm skipping the rice and buying a crap load of top ramen. Lets see, 2 packets a day will feed two adults if you have a veggie garden maybe. Each pack when bought in volume you can get it for 10 cents a packet so maybe 5000 packets is 500 bucks and I can eat like a sodium laden, msg bloated king for about 6 and a half years. lol :haha:

Well.....it worked for several years in college....

I'm skipping the rice and buying a crap load of top ramen. Lets see, 2 packets a day will feed two adults if you have a veggie garden maybe. Each pack when bought in volume you can get it for 10 cents a packet so maybe 5000 packets is 500 bucks and I can eat like a sodium laden, msg bloated king for about 6 and a half years. lol :haha:

That's assuming you have plenty of water and a way to heat it....I sure as hell lived off "Oodles of Noodles" and fish that I could catch for my first couple of years out on my own, that is when we weren't splurging away the good money we did make on beer, steaks and mac and cheese...lol.

I just plan on eating people! :rolleyes:

There will be plenty of them around!

Always looking for a little Biblical counsel Juggs. I never thought of that but -

"I also will do this unto you... You shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it." -- Leviticus 26:16

"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -- Leviticus 26:29

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters." -- Deuteronomy 28:53

"And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them." -- Deuteronomy 28:57

"Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm." -- Isaiah 9:19-20

"And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine." -- Isaiah 49:26

"And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend." -- Jeremiah 19:9

"Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers." -- Ezekiel 5:10

"I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another." -- Zechariah 11:9

Sounds nasty to me, I think I'll stick to squirrels, rabbits, fish and such. To each their own though. Bon Apetite! :)

Edited by 1911

Well, there just all gonna become zombies and try and eat me anyway.....

So I'm being a little preemptive!

Gives me a great Sunday school lesson idea though!

(Just in case anybody is lacking a sense of humor... yes, I'm joking! Really, you can check my freezer!)

That's assuming you have plenty of water and a way to heat it....I sure as hell lived off "Oodles of Noodles" and fish that I could catch for my first couple of years out on my own, that is when we weren't splurging away the good money we did make on beer, steaks and mac and cheese...lol.

Well I live in the PNW and my 200 gallon capacity rain barrels fill up in 10 minutes of rain here lol. I got a crap load of huge Doug firs to cut for fire ....... But seriously I don't think you could sustain on that but it might help. I think fishing will be the main staple and then small game. I still think the 10/22 is the most important rifle I own and the spare parts that go with it. I bet that will provide a lot more. I think a potato patch might be nice too. I've actually been thinking a lot about this lately and am not stocking up on food. I'm stocking up on the stuff that can provide food for years if need be. I have 2 apple trees, 2 cherry, a pear, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, marion berries (most painful thorns), veg and herb gardens........ and the best part? It came with the house! :devil:

When that fails I'm going to systematically eat the old people in my neighborhood.

(Just in case anybody is lacking a sense of humor... yes, I'm joking! Really, you can check my freezer!)

I had no clue that being a "fisher of men" meant that you had to eat them! I thought it was catch and release. :)

I had no clue that being a "fisher of men" meant that you had to eat them! I thought it was catch and release. :)

That theology class I just took really messed me up... you see, by eating them right after I save them (Edit:as in leading them to Christ!), they will be without sin and go straight to heaven..... LOL!!!!

...... I'm stocking up on the stuff that can provide food for years if need be. I have 2 apple trees, 2 cherry, a pear, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, marion berries (most painful thorns), veg and herb gardens........ and the best part? It came with the house! :devil:

When that fails I'm going to systematically eat the old people in my neighborhood.

Growing potatoes in tires: http://distributedliving.net/tirepotatoes.pdf

You don't need a whole lotta space to grow potatoes.

Make sure you buy heirloom seeds. The seeds you buy from box stores, hardware stores, and most everywhere else don't produce vegetables that the seeds can be used to replant.

This year I got my seeds from:

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/

Here's another place that sells heirloom seeds that I hear a lot of very good things about:

http://www.seedsavers.org/default.asp

Properly taken care of, seeds will last 3-4 years.

And definately fuck the GMO seeds.

bought 20 pounds of rice tonight.....just to have on hand.....thinking i'm going to stash a couple big rubermade bins in the basement with salt, sugar, rice, pasta, flour, pepper, maybe some spam, have 10+ gallons bottled water (i know i need more).

what else basics should i stash? thinking dried beans for the protein, powdered milk.....maybe TVP (anybody know about that stuff?)

i'm not planning for SHTF, i'm just thinking emergency Pantry really.

bought 20 pounds of rice tonight.....just to have on hand.....thinking i'm going to stash a couple big rubermade bins in the basement with salt, sugar, rice, pasta, flour, pepper, maybe some spam, have 10+ gallons bottled water (i know i need more).

what else basics should i stash? thinking dried beans for the protein, powdered milk.....maybe TVP (anybody know about that stuff?)

i'm not planning for SHTF, i'm just thinking emergency Pantry really.

I think water is definitely the main key. So the more the better. Some say if you know you will need a bunch then fill up you bath tub with fresh water as another supply.

Thinking of a way to get most of your nutrients is another thing. So your rice is your carb or if it is brown rice it is your carb with many but not all proteins. The next thing I would stash would be beans. Either dried or caned. Those will last a long time and filled with protein.

Your spices should all flavor the above.

The last thing your really need besides your saiga with ammo are a stash of multivitamins so you don't get scury or beriberi.

Yup...thought of the vitamins.....got a big bottle of Centrum in the BOB so i'll do the same for the bins

one problem with brown rice is that unlike white rice it can go bad in about 12 months, so not great for long term storage unless frozen.

Was thinking about the texturized vegetable protien since it is fully dehydrated and i think will not go bad for along long time.....plus it takes on whatever flavor it is cooked in. It is basically tree hugger food, but even so, it has its use.

Guys.....just got back with some supplies for the bin. Rice, beans, salt, sugar, gatorade mix, canola oil....some chocolate bars....some SPAM

now.....Guys.....I have to think of my wife as well in this.....so if your are building an emergency stash, or family bug out bag....don't forget some of the things that she may need. Yes men....these are the FEMANIN HYGIENE PRODUCTS.......ok....the odds of the world ending while your wife/Sig Other has her time of the month is relatively slim....but by god...they are in the bin and BOBag as well.

The bin is basically for the situation where thing have gotten so bad that you don't even want to try to get out to the store.....maybe not TEOTWAWKI...but some bad civil unrest times.....which i think is not too unlikely in the world we live in today.

Guys.....just got back with some supplies for the bin. Rice, beans, salt, sugar, gatorade mix, canola oil....some chocolate bars....some SPAM

now.....Guys.....I have to think of my wife as well in this.....so if your are building an emergency stash, or family bug out bag....don't forget some of the things that she may need. Yes men....these are the FEMANIN HYGIENE PRODUCTS.......ok....the odds of the world ending while your wife/Sig Other has her time of the month is relatively slim....but by god...they are in the bin and BOBag as well.

The bin is basically for the situation where thing have gotten so bad that you don't even want to try to get out to the store.....maybe not TEOTWAWKI...but some bad civil unrest times.....which i think is not too unlikely in the world we live in today.

Good point. Not having those femanin hygine products would make a bad situation much worse.

I can already hear the nagging. :cryss:

Not to be a wise ass, but Kotex absorb a lot of fluid... If you get cut up pretty good you can use on the wound... my friends father is a Dr and he has stated this before... just don't put a tampon in a bullet hole, apparently it makes things worse...?