Hi, my name is Pete, and I am a FAL user

Well, the bug bit me again. I was at the shop picking up a new PSL rifle when I saw a used Century L1A1 sporter for $499. Came with two L1A1 lowers (one military configuration and one with thumb hole stock) and one mag. Is a bit beat up, but looks serviceable. Bore looks real good. I know the rep Century guns have but I have had good luck with one in the past. With a possible new ban on the horizon I could not pass this up. I love the FAL, it has always been one of my favorite rifles going back decades. Right now I have the gun in pieces as I found it to be 922R challenged (either Century or Bubba gunsmith did this), I intend to purchase the requisite US parts and reassemble it in legal configuration ASAP. Maybe trade in the plastic furniture for some wood and do a restoration/refinish job. Anyway, I had to confess that I love all things FAL and that I am not a full time devotee of the AK system. I hope you can all forgive me and help me through this trial of life.

I understand. But my count of 3 AK's trumps my 1 FAL still.

I'll see your three AKs and raise you three more AKs for a total of 6 AKs and 1 FAL. Might not be a full house but it does make a full gun safe. ;)

Edited by Saigaczech
I understand. But my count of 3 AK's trumps my 1 FAL still.

I'll see your three AKs and raise you three more AKs for a total of 6 AKs and 1 FAL. Might not be a full house but it does make a full gun safe. ;)

I'll call... :D 4 FALs and 4 AKs

• 1 month later...

Fal's, like bad women, keep you coming back. Right after ban, had DSA Tactical (short gas) folder with all goodies + bolt forward assist. Same weapon today runs $2,500 and forever waiting list, about doubled price. Have 4 total. :smoke: P.S. When 36 long gun vault has to be upgraded, you know you've become addicted.

Fal's, like bad women, keep you coming back. Right after ban, had DSA Tactical (short gas) folder with all goodies + bolt forward assist. Same weapon today runs $2,500 and forever waiting list, about doubled price. Have 4 total. :smoke: P.S. When 36 long gun vault has to be upgraded, you know you've become addicted.

Where can you find a forward assist for a fal?

• 1 month later...

Hi , you dont need a foward assist on a fal/L1A1, just set the gas regulator correctly, it should spit the emply case out at least 6ft from the ejection port when lying in the prone position. if you adjust the regulator to do this you should have no problems. in NZ we have plenty of x army L1A1s around, before they were sold off the safty sear(auto sear )was removed and a spacer welded in , is that the case in the states . they did that because it only took a match stick to convert them to full auto!

Hi , you dont need a foward assist on a fal/L1A1, just set the gas regulator correctly, it should spit the emply case out at least 6ft from the ejection port when lying in the prone position. if you adjust the regulator to do this you should have no problems. in NZ we have plenty of x army L1A1s around, before they were sold off the safty sear(auto sear )was removed and a spacer welded in , is that the case in the states . they did that because it only took a match stick to convert them to full auto!
No. Our governing body for guns has a rule: "once a machine gun, always a machine gun", so welded up or 'clipped safety sear' guns are verboten.

We have several makers who produce FAL receivers for us (w/o the extra holes).

Ya what he said... I have never seen a forward assist on a FAL... I have 2 DSA FALs...AK's are great for makin dents (have 1)...FALs punch holes...lol. :haha:

I believe that Isreal had a forward assist on their FALs. Unless I'm mistaken, what you need is an Isreali bolt carrier and charging handle.

Most DSA Tactical models have diagonal lightning cuts in bolt carrier. Isreal/mine have notches cut (EX. AR forward assist). Looks like standard carrier, except notched. Isreal found that in fine sand conditions, it was required. Works especially well in gritty conditions after prolonged use, quicker than turning up gas and rechamber round. Does require a forward assist charging handle. (Charging Handle work on standard FAL's, just won't assist.) :smoke:

Most DSA Tactical models have diagonal lightning cuts in bolt carrier. Isreal/mine have notches cut (EX. AR forward assist). Looks like standard carrier, except notched. Isreal found that in fine sand conditions, it was required. Works especially well in gritty conditions after prolonged use, quicker than turning up gas and rechamber round. Does require a forward assist charging handle. (Charging Handle work on standard FAL's, just won't assist.) :smoke:

Do you know where you can get the bolt carrier and charging handle that way? DSA?

Do you know where you can get the bolt carrier and charging handle that way? DSA?

Lookin through my DSA catalog you can get everything BUT the bolt carrier to make your FAL Israeli. Here's their # 847 277 7258

Reason I got forward assist was for 1st rd after mag change in crappy conditions. DSA did my bolt carrier work, switching out the original diagonal cut, and rehead spaced which is a safe practice. Spoke directly with gunsmith who originally built. Diagonal cut is suppose to keep reciever from crudding up. :smoke: P.S. Ordered with, yet didn't get, DSA did make it right and paid all shipping.

Edited by Ruffian72

Been a long time ago, (5-6yrs) Tapco and others who sold kits had them. Might pickup a Shotgun News, call Fal parts suppliers. Fal Files or other web sites. One of my first Fal's was a Isreal heavy barrel, shooting some dirty firing surplus, made me a believer. :smoke: