Good morning - new seeker of knowledge

I am interested in the Saiga 308 as a main SHTF rifle. The 8 round mags would be sufficient, if available for not a boatload of cash, but I am mainly interested in three things - reliabilty, accuracy, and price/availabilty. i have heard many good things about the Saiga rifles. Thank you for any replies.

I love mine. It has the legendary reliability of the AK, along with the toughness. As to price, I got mine a couple of years ago for $250. I know their over that now though. I have the 16" barrel and it's accurate for me - Minute of man! It'll knock your weenie in the dirt power wise - better balistics than the x39 ammo ( which I think is great and also have ).

Edited by Squib

one disadvantage 308 ammo is freaking expensive. i dont like the 147gr stuff ..for me it doesnt have the accuracy i desire... I picked up 2 boxes of Black hills 168gr match ..the sierra hollow points ...49.99 after tax... they were $22.99 for a box of 20 before tax .. they had the ppu 168grain stuff for 17.99 a box but from what ive read its not particularly accurate. i dont shoot so much that i need a nice reloader but im thinking about getting a cheap lee classic loader.... and loading 20 to 40 at a time to save on ammo.

For the money, the S308 is hard to beat. If you can stand to leave it in the stock configuration (or just a simple PG conversion without going overboard :devil: ) then it's a great deal. 8 round mags run only a little less than 20 rounders, so don't look for much upside there...

Gun = $350+ after xfers

4 mags = $220

PG parts = $130ish

So, you're in business for $700. Even at that price, there's not much competition. The DPMS 308 is a fine gun, but bulkier and their mags run $50 apiece too.

Careful of that Black Hills garbage. I used the .223 in my other Saiga and had the front half of the previous round get stuck in the trunnion and the next round jammed up in it. Luckily for me the Saiga took a good hard beating and ejected the round.

As for the rifles, i love em. Got a .223 and about to start my .308 conversion. Careful tho, it becomes and addiction

Thanks for the replies! I would definately be leaving it stock. As for ammo, a few boxes to get started, then brass and dies. I have a mould that should work, would just need a sizer for what the barrel slugs out to. now to find one that isn't too high. Would be happy with used, too.

Careful of that Black Hills garbage. I used the .223 in my other Saiga and had the front half of the previous round get stuck in the trunnion and the next round jammed up in it. Luckily for me the Saiga took a good hard beating and ejected the round.

As for the rifles, i love em. Got a .223 and about to start my .308 conversion. Careful tho, it becomes and addiction

I have had great luck with Black Hills ammo reloads and new, mostly for .223. Some other reloads years ago that I bought had some case separations like that they where not Black hills. I looked into it and was told that it most of those reloads were from full auto fire from M-16 with loose cambers and had excessive stretching, that is what caused it. That is just what I heard I am not sure if that was the case.

Edited by OrRedbeard