which scope for my saiga AK sporter rifle

Hello, I live in Cali and do a couple pig hunts every year. Sooo, in all honesty a x39 Saiga is not a good choice. You would be better off buing an old Mosin 91/30 from big 5 and using the iron sights than trying to kill a large boar (there is a lot of em this year) with the Saiga at 200 yards. Unlike places like Geogia and Florida (where handgun hunting is poular), we are stuck with some pretty long shots out west. I shot a 300#er with huge tusks last year on the central coast. I was forced to take a 350 yard shoot from a ridgetop down into a barley field - my 30/06 did the job in a split second. I would have gone home empty handed with a Saiga.

You NEED a one-shot kill, or at least a seriously disabling hit. You will not outrun a wounded boar, and they leave almost no bloodtrail to follow. There will be no follow-up shot if you miss, as they are gone as soon as they hear the crack of the bullet.

I suggest any inexpensive 30/06, .308, 7mm. I would not use anything smaller than a .270. Get a cheap Savage in one of these calibers and put a 3-9x40 scope on it. Put in your range time before you hunt.

Hello, I live in Cali and do a couple pig hunts every year. Sooo, in all honesty a x39 Saiga is not a good choice. You would be better off buing an old Mosin 91/30 from big 5 and using the iron sights than trying to kill a large boar (there is a lot of em this year) with the Saiga at 200 yards. Unlike places like Geogia and Florida (where handgun hunting is poular), we are stuck with some pretty long shots out west. I shot a 300#er with huge tusks last year on the central coast. I was forced to take a 350 yard shoot from a ridgetop down into a barley field - my 30/06 did the job in a split second. I would have gone home empty handed with a Saiga.

You NEED a one-shot kill, or at least a seriously disabling hit. You will not outrun a wounded boar, and they leave almost no bloodtrail to follow. There will be no follow-up shot if you miss, as they are gone as soon as they hear the crack of the bullet.

I suggest any inexpensive 30/06, .308, 7mm. I would not use anything smaller than a .270. Get a cheap Savage in one of these calibers and put a 3-9x40 scope on it. Put in your range time before you hunt.

that's odd that a 7.62x39 (which is pretty damned close to a .308) loaded with silver bear hollow points wouldn't get the job done.

Jailbait, probably not very efficiently at 150-200 yards, and futureexpat will be taking shots at this range. This rifle is just not made for making quick and effective 200yd heartshots on pigs.

Dont let bullet diameter fool you, other wise a .22LR would do the same job as a .223REM (same diameter bullet).

7,62x39 is an intermediate round (meaning between that of a handgun caliber and a high power rifle). At 200 yards, x39 hollowpoint has 850 Ft Lbs of energy and is falling like a rock. My 30/06 ammo has 2,380 ft Lbs of energy at 200 yards and has a flat trajectory.

7,62x39 would make a fine brush rifle for deer and for small pigs at close range, but I think the OP will regret this choice for what he wants to do. He is free to do what he wants, I am just advising right tool for the job.

Jailbait, probably not very efficiently at 150-200 yards, and futureexpat will be taking shots at this range. This rifle is just not made for making quick and effective 200yd heartshots on pigs.

Dont let bullet diameter fool you, other wise a .22LR would do the same job as a .223REM (same diameter bullet).

7,62x39 is an intermediate round (meaning between that of a handgun caliber and a high power rifle). At 200 yards, x39 hollowpoint has 850 Ft Lbs of energy and is falling like a rock. My 30/06 ammo has 2,380 ft Lbs of energy at 200 yards and has a flat trajectory.

7,62x39 would make a fine brush rifle for deer and for small pigs at close range, but I think the OP will regret this choice for what he wants to do. He is free to do what he wants, I am just advising right tool for the job.

damn. i need to study up on ballistics a little more.

I'm new here, but it seems to me that the OP asked a question and didn't get an answer other than "get a rifle with a stronger round." I'm new to rifles myself and I would appreciate seeing an answer to his question as well. So, I'm just going to repeat the OP's question.

What kind of scope could he use to hunt with his unmodified Saiga 7.62 to hunt with at the maximum range of 200 yards?

thanx desert dog. I too also heard that 7.62x39 & .308 are similar. But, i will do some research after what you have said. I also like the stalking part of pig hunting & would probably locate a pig around 350 yards but still try an stalk & shoot him at 200 yards.

How is this for a saiga AK 7.62 X 39 scope guys?

Detailed Description

POSP 3-9x42 Zoom Rifle Scope w/ 1000 Meter Dragunov Rangefinder, - AK Version.

OST Exclusive! The newest model! The best zoomed scope in POSP series is current military issue for the Red Army. The POSP 3-9x42 with 1000 meter rangefinder is a high quality rifle scope with a magnesium alloy body and fully multicoated optics. A great assault weapon scope with the patented 'Dragunov' marked metering grid, this illuminated reticule grid scope allows you to determine kill distance as well as to track and observe game in the field. The military reticle has an extremely effective and useful height-based rangefinder for dual use, with graduated scales for both standing and prone figure estimation. It includes extended distance inverted chevrons providing aiming points for 1000, 1100, and 1200 meters.

Since the range calibrations for both the AK and SVD versions on both the 1000 meter Dragunov and 400 meter Simonov models are measured in equal amounts of MOA, all versions of the POSP can be used effectively with any caliber of weapon. The POSP features a red illuminated reticle which allows you to make perfect kill shots in dusk conditions. Illumination is provided by a simple diode. We have red, blue, white, yellow and green diodes available for purchase which allow you to change the color of the reticle when illuminated. The special design of the scope allows for both lateral and angular adjustments quickly and easily so you always stay zeroed in. It features professionally ground, crystal clear optics, nitrogen filling to prevent lens fogging, and larger diameter tubes for improved light gathering under the most severe conditions. Probably the best scope, dollar for dollar, in the world. It is waterproof and can be used in any climate condition. It comes with a high quality mil-spec medium-dark gray hammer finish, and comes with everything shown in the picture; rubber lens cap, eye piece, and nylon carrying case. If you want the look and performance of a true POSP and place a premium on shooting comfort, this is your best choice.

The Weaver POSP is perfect for use on the .308 versions which require longer range reticles to make full use of their capabilities. The POSP series uses standard, readily available watch batteries.

Magnification:3-9x

Field of View:5-2.7o

Field of View at:1000 m 80-40 m

Objective Aperture:42 mm

Eye Relief:100-75 mm

Eye Relief Diameter:10-3.9 mm

Nitrogen Purged:Yes

Waterproof:Yes

Reticle:Dragunov

Rangefinding Capability:Yes

Illuminated Reticle:Red

Mount Type:Weaver

Power Source:3V (CR2032)

Operating Temperature:+50 to -50oC

Overall Dimensions:406x138x76 mm

Weight:.85 kg

PRICE $270

Your 2 best options are as follows:

1) Ultimak rail with a leupold scout scope (you need extended eye relief scope). This will be most accurate, but if you remove your scope from the rail to plink short-range targets or tactical shoot, you will loose zero.

2) A PSOP side mount scope. Get the 400 meter recticle; it is calibrated for 7,62x39 ballistics - the 1000 meter rectical is not. Also a 40 power scope is not needed for the range of this gun. I highly recomend buying this scope from Tantal, his merchandise is as advertised and the service is reliable - make sure you order the one that mounts to an AKM/Saiga. This scope retains zero pretty well when removed and replaced. WARNING: in an unconverted Saiga with the factory stock, you will NOT have proper eye relief to use PSOP scopes. You will have to cut about 2 or more inches off of your stock and use a slip-on recoil pad to cover the hole. You can see an picture of this one one of my unconverted saigas on page 12 of the x39 picture section.

Stay away from mounting a scope on the dust cover. You will never get consistent accuracy with these. Use good ammo. The remington soft points make good hunting rounds, but zero will be different than russian ammo so you have to zero your rifle with the bullet you will hunt with.

Post a pic of your pig if you put one down.

The 7.62x39 is closer to a 30-30 Win than it is to a .308 Win. I've not had a chance to hunt with my Saiga 7.62x39, but have a lot of experience with 30-30 on our northern whitetails. I'm not real comfortable with 200 yards on deer with a 30-30, but 150 is not a problem. I expect that you can't compare hogs to deer when it comes to required killing power. (I've never had a chance to hunt hogs). But our average 2-1/2 year old buck goes 140 to 160 lbs. field dressed, so they're a decent sized animal. As far as scope choices go, I've used an old Leupold 1-4 that I've had for years. I've killed many more deer with it set a 1 than at 4. Hand loading opens up a multitude of bullet choices for hunting and adds another dimension to your time spent at the range.

Vorpal

A scope for the Saiga...easy. Get a low poer POSP - they were made for AK's and work really well. The range of the 7.62x39 would, however force me to suggest a 0 magnification optic like a KOBRA site.

7.62x39 runs out of steam at 200 yards, but I would not hesitate hunting boar with it. I've seen elephant, rhino, hippo and warthog taken with AK47's before. Ok, I saw the carcasses when my uncle worked in the Kruger National Park and I rode around with him during my school vacations.

Shot placement is key - I would not recommend taking this rifle and cartridge if you expect to shoot at ranges past 150 yards. If you know that you will have to shoot past 150 yards, I send the Mosin Nagant. Get a nice M44 for about $100, a box of ammo, sight it in and go to town with the irons. 7.62x54R would knock that pig on his ass in a second!

If you want a nice option, buy the QD mount here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/aksiramoqude.html (Works GREAT!)

And buy yourself Rings & a scope. if you're looking for a VERY NICE 3-9X, get a Nikon Prostaff ($100-$140) And it has VERY crisp optics. . . . Or you can buy a cheaper scope from wallyworld. I have a 4-16x Centerpoint 69.99 from Wallyworld on my .308 and it does the job.

OR, if you want SUPER optics, get a leupold but expect to pay $$$$$ for one :)

Your 2 best options are as follows:

1) Ultimak rail with a leupold scout scope (you need extended eye relief scope). This will be most accurate, but if you remove your scope from the rail to plink short-range targets or tactical shoot, you will loose zero.

2) A PSOP side mount scope. Get the 400 meter recticle; it is calibrated for 7,62x39 ballistics - the 1000 meter rectical is not. Also a 40 power scope is not needed for the range of this gun. I highly recomend buying this scope from Tantal, his merchandise is as advertised and the service is reliable - make sure you order the one that mounts to an AKM/Saiga. This scope retains zero pretty well when removed and replaced. WARNING: in an unconverted Saiga with the factory stock, you will NOT have proper eye relief to use PSOP scopes. You will have to cut about 2 or more inches off of your stock and use a slip-on recoil pad to cover the hole. You can see an picture of this one one of my unconverted saigas on page 12 of the x39 picture section.

Stay away from mounting a scope on the dust cover. You will never get consistent accuracy with these. Use good ammo. The remington soft points make good hunting rounds, but zero will be different than russian ammo so you have to zero your rifle with the bullet you will hunt with.

Post a pic of your pig if you put one down.

thanx DDOG

saiga .308 with 22" barrel is what im gonna go with.

is PSOP a brand name? tantal a dist or brand name?

.308, excelent choice for taking a boar!

Now that you are going with the .308, go ahead and get the 1000m recticle if you want because now you have a long reach. You can even go for more magnification now if you want.

People I know have had issues when ordering from places like Kalinka and EastWave. Ther are a lot of forgery combloc optics, as I have seen the fake Kobra red-dots. Order from Tantal http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/ this is the best and most reliable guy to deal with when buying stuff from eastern bloc countries. you contact him through his website and tell him what you want. He emailes you a price and gives instructions for payment. Google search him on the web, everybody has something good to say about him.

Remember that you will have to cut down the factory stock to have proper eye relief, you will see what I mean when you put it together. Here is a pic of the scope;

post-10946-1211155124_thumb.jpg

I have killed close to 20 hogs with a 16" Saiga in x39. Most of my shots are fairly close- under 100 yards. I am shooting out of a blind or while using a spotlight- you can only see so far even with a good light. For that reason, my x39 has been an excellent rifle delivering 1 shot stops on hogs up to 300 pounds.

My rifle has a CDNN scope mount on it, the one with the light rail built in- I have a Surefire mounted there. I am currently using a cheapo Tasco 4x on it, so far, so good. It was all I had in "spare" scopes when I got the gun and I haven't had a reason to change it out yet.

I really love the little gun, it will give at least one more year of service before I retire it. I retire all my hog guns at 50 hogs killed.....it's an excuse to buy another gun and I figure that most guys/most guns are unlikely to kill 50 of anything in their lifetimes so it's a reasonable thing to do.

Edited by Capt. Ferguson
  • 1 month later...

Ok got my hunting license, booked my pig hunt at tejon july 21st.

.308's are on back order!! where i live.

I am going to order this week a scope from tantal for my 16" 7.62x39 & a .308/22"(if they get one in time)

4x or 8x power be good for the saiga x39?

also what parts would i need to cut down the stock?

FutureExpat, Good choice with the .308

nothing more than 4 power for the x39

Dont cut the stock till you put on the scope and slip-over recoil pad, then youll know how much you need to cut. I used a band saw for the cut.

I was up at Tejon on Saturday and it was 105 Degrees! Bring lots of water, thats tough pig hunting weather.

• 2 weeks later...

That should work well. Any decent scope will do the job out to 200 yards. I love the .308 for hog hunting. I recommend using a premium bullet (e.g., the Barnes triple-shock X-bullet) if you are going after a large boar. If you shoot them through the brain it doesn't really matter, but if you shoot one behind the shoulder a good bullet helps to penetrate the shoulder plate. Good luck on your hunt!

Just a side note.......keep in mind a scope made for a AK format will withstand the "whack" delivered every time the weapon fires. Those others are great, but designed for more accurate bolt actions that don't have the "occasional" 30 round torment delivered to them that you will be tempted with your Saiga. Although it's designed for civy use , it's still a mill action. You'll shake a cheep one apart quick.

• 2 weeks later...
That should work well. Any decent scope will do the job out to 200 yards. I love the .308 for hog hunting. I recommend using a premium bullet (e.g., the Barnes triple-shock X-bullet) if you are going after a large boar. If you shoot them through the brain it doesn't really matter, but if you shoot one behind the shoulder a good bullet helps to penetrate the shoulder plate. Good luck on your hunt!

glad you mentioned ammo

i am hearing i should use

solid copper/cali condor issue

150-180 grain

soft point

this true? which brands?

• 3 years later...

A scope for the Saiga...easy. Get a low poer POSP - they were made for AK's and work really well. The range of the 7.62x39 would, however force me to suggest a 0 magnification optic like a KOBRA site.

7.62x39 runs out of steam at 200 yards, but I would not hesitate hunting boar with it. I've seen elephant, rhino, hippo and warthog taken with AK47's before. Ok, I saw the carcasses when my uncle worked in the Kruger National Park and I rode around with him during my school vacations.

Shot placement is key - I would not recommend taking this rifle and cartridge if you expect to shoot at ranges past 150 yards. If you know that you will have to shoot past 150 yards, I send the Mosin Nagant. Get a nice M44 for about $100, a box of ammo, sight it in and go to town with the irons. 7.62x54R would knock that pig on his ass in a second!

i took my good ol' mosin nagant and my 20' barrel saiga 7x62 39 hunting some hogs, and when i saw this beast at over 300 lbs for sure, at about 225-250 yds , i said let me see that mosin real quick :) , i shot that sucker , droped him on his ass and it rolled down hill into the creek :) it was laying there dead as shit with its tongue hangin out :) i shot many big game with my saiga but 7x62 54 r mosin is my prefered choice for dropin hogs and its only 100-150 $ ,its a one shot kill and you dont want that runnig after you if you wound it and it sees you

that's odd that a 7.62x39 (which is pretty damned close to a .308) loaded with silver bear hollow points wouldn't get the job done.

it would at no more then 150 yds , and you dont wanna be up close with the hog wth that round, since 7.62x39 round loses steam and starts dropin like a rock at about 200 yds , that cal. is ment for upclose urban warfare and/or medium and not so dangerous game to hunt like deer . 7.62 x 54 R is hog dropper round !

.308, excelent choice for taking a boar!

Now that you are going with the .308, go ahead and get the 1000m recticle if you want because now you have a long reach. You can even go for more magnification now if you want.

People I know have had issues when ordering from places like Kalinka and EastWave. Ther are a lot of forgery combloc optics, as I have seen the fake Kobra red-dots. Order from Tantal http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/ this is the best and most reliable guy to deal with when buying stuff from eastern bloc countries. you contact him through his website and tell him what you want. He emailes you a price and gives instructions for payment. Google search him on the web, everybody has something good to say about him.

Remember that you will have to cut down the factory stock to have proper eye relief, you will see what I mean when you put it together. Here is a pic of the scope;

post-10946-1211155124_thumb.jpg

Sucks that no more sales on that link.

Oh and btw, you have a very nice looking rifle.

The only AK scope that I have is the POSP 4x24. If I was shooting at anything over 100 yards, I would probably want to have something that magnifies a little bit more, but thats just personal preference.

Whoever said that the POSP feels a little weird on a stock Saiga was correct. I just put the scope on a stock one (that will turn into a beautiful AKM soon), and I had to push my head forward to use the scope as intended. The factory stock is indeed a little too long.

If you really want to use a POSP on an unconverted Saiga, I recommend putting a cheap TAPCO stock/PG on, as well as a u.s. made handguard and a u.s. made magazine. That way you don't have to convert the gun, and you can use the scope comfortably.