Galil charging handle

These things look completely bad-fucking-ass. How hard is it for someone with no welding experience to slap one on? I've thought about doing it but kind of assumed it would look like a third grader tried to hot glue it on since I've never welded before.

These things look completely bad-fucking-ass. How hard is it for someone with no welding experience to slap one on? I've thought about doing it but kind of assumed it would look like a third grader tried to hot glue it on since I've never welded before.

With no welding experience it may be pretty tough to do as TIG welding would be the best choice. I agree with looking bad ass but using one with optics leads to a little skin removed from the finger.

I've handled an S12 with a Galil charging handle. I only fumbled with it for a minute or two, but it felt really awkward and clunky to me. Maybe you just have to get used to a different motion to get it to go back smoothly or something. Also, it was too close to the receiver for my tastes, and if I had one like it, I'd probably end up skinning my knuckles.

I am right-handed so my right hand is usually on the pistol grip.

If I pulled back with my left hand, I couldn't do it how I normally do it (which is: tilt gun left, left hand over the top of the receiver, pull back with palm facing down).

If I pulled back with my right hand, my fingers were really close to the receiver so it was awkward to get a hold of the thing, and then when I pulled back, it was slower than normal because my arm wanted to pull it backwards and to my right, causing excess friction on the right side. It is much easier to pull something backwards in a straight line if you do it with your palm straight up (as if you were doing a curl with a hand weight) or straight down than it is with your palm facing you (as if you were pulling a door open).

Again, maybe I was just doing it wrong, but I didn't like it. I thought I would, but I didn't. People who normally change mags and pull back with their right hand may find it better with the Galil charging handle, but personally, I think I might just extend the factory one a bit to make it easier for my over-the-receiver style.

Edited by Monk
and if I had one like it, I'd probably end up skinning my knuckles.

I've seen a lot that have doglegged out instead of being welded straight up from the current finger grip. I figured it was because of optics or something but it might be to save fingers.

Mine doglegs back to avoid the rear sight. I have an optic on it now, but it is forward of the rear sight, so that doesn't matter. I rack the bolt with the left hand, tilting the gun around as if going to reach over and operate the standard handle, but a lot less tilt. I just reach up and grab the knob with the first finger and thumb and rack it back. I did try the side of the palm, but just can't abide dragging my hand down the top of the cover.

I do find it much quicker, as it takes much less rotation of the receiver to get to the handle with the off hand.