Newbie stock question

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know.... I wrote a whole big post... posted it... looked at it... said F**K IT.... DELETED IT!

a Thumbhole is more of a GREY area.. is it a US made thumbhole? or Russain made? I have not gotten too much in the way of SATISFACTORY answers in regards to the thumbhole stock myself..

From what I GATHER.... a thumbhole is OK.... more "sporting" not like a true pistol grip or like the dragunov style

But then I also believe you still need to keep a certain US made parts count up, if you go changing things....

Here is where I shrug... think about deleting it AGAIN.... but say F*** IT again.. and just leave the darn thing...

I would say its OK.... but thats just me... and if you read many of my posts... you will see I tend to live a little further out on the edge than most here.

Dunno why I even bother on THIS topic...

Edited by IndyArms

I don't THINK you can import a thumbhole stock on a semi auto rifle with a removable mag. I read a separate ruling issued after the AWB went into effect but I can't find it tonight.

IF you can't import it like that then you can't add it without doing the conversion, but you're already doing the FCG and stock. Use US parts and I think you'll be OK.

I asked someone I know serving in Iraq in clandestine law enforcement roles what the deal was with me having someone else I know there stripping dragunov wood and mailing it here to me in the states to sell. the answer actually had to come from his boss, which was a no.

If the saiga were bolt action or pump action, or had an internal magazine, you could import it with a thumbhole stock.

Thats why you have to replace a bunch of parts on the gun with US made parts to do the conversion to PG or thumbhole stock, to keep it simple.

what if someone were to weld a 30 round ak mag into their rifle? It would no longer be detachable, hence it would be a part of the rifle. Then could we put on a pg or thumbhole without pondering the parts count question.

Not that i plan to weld a mag into my gun, I'm just curious as to the answer ^_^

yeh it would be one way to do it. further, if you made the gun non-semi auto, you could have it in california. WOW thats useful. an AK that you cant load without taking it apart, and that you have to cock after every round. just THINK of the possibilities with THAT. :)

Ya know.... no matter how much I hear BVAMP whine about living in NY state... where *I* also LIVE!

and complaining about the shitty gun laws we have here, which I agree with his assessment of them, wholeheartedly...

we need to be DAMN GLAD we do NOT live in CALIFORNIA!

That must be the WORST....as far as tweaking weapons like this goes.... or am I mistaken????