Bought my first set of Saiga's, had some questions

Hey guys, I have been lurking on the forum for a while and finally made the plunge yesterday, buying a set of "twins", 16" Saigas in .223 and 7.62x39. I want to convert them both but before I make Tapco a nice little profit this quarter, I wanted to double check somethings with you guys, just to make sure:

1. Does the Tapco saw pistol grip include the grip screw and bolt?

2. Once the pistol grip conversion is complete, I can add ANY stock for a stamped AK reciever without removing the tang?

3. Is there any reason to spend the money on the Tromix fire control group versus the G2 group IF I plan on buying the retainer plates?

4. I was told by the sale guy that I bought the gun from that the 7.62 with a bullet guide installed and a little filing of the mag that it will take standard AK mags. Is the same true of the .223?

5. HAve you guys been able to locate any of the additional Galil adpaters that allow the Saiga to take AR mags?

6. Are the Galil mags better for the .223? The only place that had them was CDNN and they are only 12 rounds.

7. Is the BHO being put back in after the conversion really as hard as I have heard?

8. Is there anything that after you did your conversion you were like "Man, I wish someone would have told me that?"

Thanks for all your help guys. I am pretty sure that next weeked I will be in a garage with a print out from crosscon and my laptop playing the saiga conversion video, LOL. :super:

I'll answer a couple of these for you.

#1 The saw grip does come with a screw because it's a non standard length, but does not come with the nut/bushing.

#2 Once you've converted, the rifle will take any standard AK stock made for stamped receivers.

#3 I'm really not sure what makes the Tromix trigger group special. I personally went with a standard G2 and retaining plate. I would suggest the retaining plate too.

#4 That guy was correct about the 7.62's but I have no clue when it comes to the 5.45's

#7 The BHO can be a real pain in the ass the first couple times you do it. You've just got to keep on trying. Eventually you'll get it back in and eventually you'll develop a technique that will make it not as bad to do.

#8 My trigger guard was sticking out too far under the magazine release and I couldn't seat the magazine. I had to take it back apart and trim a little off the trigger guard.

That's about all I can help you with.

Edited by taurussvt
4. I was told by the sale guy that I bought the gun from that the 7.62 with a bullet guide installed and a little filing of the mag that it will take standard AK mags.

Umm little correction here. After installing the bullet guide you don't file the AK mags, you file the mag catch.

Damn, I guess I should have paid attention when I read that. Agias is correct. You file the mag catch and not the magazine. The whole idea is to modify the rifle to fit all the standard magazines, not to modify every magazine to fit your rifle.

I'll answer a couple of these for you.

#1 The saw grip does come with a screw because it's a non standard length, but does not come with the nut/bushing.

#2 Once you've converted, the rifle will take any standard AK stock made for stamped receivers.

#3 I'm really not sure what makes the Tromix trigger group special. I personally went with a standard G2 and retaining plate. I would suggest the retaining plate too.

#4 That guy was correct about the 7.62's but I have no clue when it comes to the 5.45's

#7 The BHO can be a real pain in the ass the first couple times you do it. You've just got to keep on trying. Eventually you'll get it back in and eventually you'll develop a technique that will make it not as bad to do.

#8 My trigger guard was sticking out too far under the magazine release and I couldn't seat the magazine. I had to take it back apart and trim a little off the trigger guard.

That's about all I can help you with.

Awesome, I appreciate all the help, I would have been really upset to order everything and not have the pistol nut grip. I also appreciate the info about the trigger guard, good to know.

4. I was told by the sale guy that I bought the gun from that the 7.62 with a bullet guide installed and a little filing of the mag that it will take standard AK mags.

Umm little correction here. After installing the bullet guide you don't file the AK mags, you file the mag catch.

OK, again thanks. This place is invaluable. I am sure that I will be on here again with other questions, but I appreciate your help.

Just a little clarification of question #2. It is correct that you can use any standard stock made for a stamped AK; but if you use certain stocks, like an ACE using an INTERNAL receiver block, you WILL need to remove the tang from the receiver. Also, pay attention to where the stock is made. For 922r compliance purposes, it is generally best to use a U.S.-made stock.

As for the FCG, I highly recommend Dinzag's modified G2 FCG. It is a "drop-in" assembly, he includes a disconnecter spring already installed, and he includes other useful "freebies," like 6 of the nylon hole plugs that match the rivets well and hitch pins and e-clips to use instead of the retaining wire or a retainer plate (I still like to use the retainer plate, though). Dinzagarms.com also has many other great products that make it easy for a do-it-yourselfer to get the conversion results you want.

Just a little clarification of question #2. It is correct that you can use any standard stock made for a stamped AK; but if you use certain stocks, like an ACE using an INTERNAL receiver block, you WILL need to remove the tang from the receiver. Also, pay attention to where the stock is made. For 922r compliance purposes, it is generally best to use a U.S.-made stock.

As for the FCG, I highly recommend Dinzag's modified G2 FCG. It is a "drop-in" assembly, he includes a disconnecter spring already installed, and he includes other useful "freebies," like 6 of the nylon hole plugs that match the rivets well and hitch pins and e-clips to use instead of the retaining wire or a retainer plate (I still like to use the retainer plate, though). Dinzagarms.com also has many other great products that make it easy for a do-it-yourselfer to get the conversion results you want.

Ok, thanks Hogdag, I appreciate it. I was thinking of going with the Tapco T6 adjustable stock, so I think I will be ok. I was just on dinzags site checking out his bullet guides. I will go check out the FCG. I am definitely going US made with the FCG, stock, pistol grip and forearm. I may also switch out the gas piston, although I would prefer not to. I am aware of 922® and am going make sure to stay in compliance.

Dinzags modified G2s are for unmodified Saigas. Any FCG for an AKM/AK74 will work fine in a converted Saiga.

Just didn't want you buying the wrong thing from Dinzag.

Edited by nalioth
Dinzags modified G2s are for unmodified Saigas. Any FCG for an AKM/AK74 will work fine in a converted Saiga.

Just didn't want you buying the wrong thing from Dinzag.

Dinzag has modified G2 FCGs for BOTH converted and unconverted Saigas (do make sure that you get the right one). The ones for converted Saigas are machined on a lathe to allow clearance for the manual bolt hold-open. He also polishes the critical surfaces and includes a disconnecter spring (installed) and other useful "freebies." You could modify a FCG yourself, but Dinzag does a professional job for a reasonable price.

+1 for Dinzags G2 FCG for PG converted saigas. I just finished a .223 conversion last night and Dinzags FCG was 100% drop-in.

Little tip for re-installing the BHO spring. Once you have the hammer and bho lever pinned in, drop in the trigger group but don't pin it. Then use a bread tie, stick it up on the outside of the BHO tab that protrudes out the bottom of the reciever. Take some dental floss tied through the BHO spring in a loop about 10" diameter with a good knot. Hook the dental floss with the bread tie and pull it through the BHO tab hole. Then coerce the spring to its final position with the small leg of the spring over the catch on the back of the BHO lever. Then when you are ready, pull down and forward with the dental floss and that will help you get your axis pin through the spring loop. You may have to use a small screwdriver or something to get the spring down the last 1/16" or so. Makes it pretty easy. When you are done, cut the floss loop and pull it out.

David

• 2 months later...

mags are a problem for the 223 saiga ,promags are junk!! (bulgies are high) i recommend these from misssippiautoarms they too are pricey but you dont need a feed ramp and they are totally reliable. if you can find regular weiger mags and can tig weld i can tell how to save a couple of bucks if you have more time than money. but supplies are limited on both type mags so better not snooze

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=205