russian pso-1 (psop) 4 x 24 review?

POSP 4x24 is perfect for the range of 7.62X39.

There are several variations, make sure you get the 400meter recticle that fits the AKM/saiga rail.

I like the POSP much better than the PSO.

If your saiga is converted, eye relief will not be a problem. Unconverted, it will be a problem and you may have to shorten the stock a couple of inches.

The unique rangefinding system on the POSP is surprisingly accurate for the round. You bracket the human torso (or 1 meter target) on the scale and line the appropriate chevron on target. The clarity of the optics is good and the illumination is fantastic.

The rubber eye piece sucks and requires too much head movement to aquire a good sight picture. I dont use them; instead, I use the Butler Creek flip-up lens covers.

Mine have held up well to abuse.

Be careful, there are some fake POSP (and Kobras) on the market made in asia and eastern Europe. There are also some used and refurbed ones on the market being sold as new. Kalinka and EastWave have bad reputations. I order my combloc optics from Tantal, and they have all been great.

Sorry didn't mean to say I own one. Was linking Tantal just to show the different types.

I don't have any PSO/POSP optics :( Actually want to buy one just to play with one. Have no need for one what so ever. They just seem kool :)

I've been hunting gunbroker and ebay for a deal sporadically. If I see one for under $100 I'll grab one.

Agias,

What is the difference between a PSO-1 and a POSP 4x24? I'm obviously clueless on these things since I don't own one nor have I done any real research. I thought they were the same thing?

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/pos1.pdf

Edited by jamesavery22
Sorry didn't mean to say I own one. Was linking Tantal just to show the different types.

I don't have any PSO/POSP optics :( Actually want to buy one just to play with one. Have no need for one what so ever. They just seem kool :)

I've been hunting gunbroker and ebay for a deal sporadically. If I see one for under $100 I'll grab one.

Agias,

What is the difference between a PSO-1 and a POSP 4x24? I'm obviously clueless on these things since I don't own one nor have I done any real research. I thought they were the same thing?

From one of the links posted in the post by ASSASSIN above:

Below is a view from the front of the scope clearly showing

the Russian cyrillic markings for PSO-1 as well as this sights

serial number. You will only find this marking on a genuine

PSO-1 and it is not found on the modern POSP sights that

are essentially the same but lack the 3v battery

compartment, extendable sunshade and of course the infra

red detection screen and switch.

Agias,

From one of the links posted in the post by ASSASSIN above:

Below is a view from the front of the scope clearly showing

the Russian cyrillic markings for PSO-1 as well as this sights

serial number. You will only find this marking on a genuine

PSO-1 and it is not found on the modern POSP sights that

are essentially the same but lack the 3v battery

compartment, extendable sunshade and of course the infra

red detection screen and switch.

Yep, exactly that.

Plus the quality. The PSO-1 was(and the PSO-1M2 still is as far as i know) made in Russia by NPZ, exclusively for military use(especially SVD), while all the POSP optics are commercial products made in Belarus, supposedly in slightly lower quality.

Edited by Agias
POSP 4x24 is perfect for the range of 7.62X39.

There are several variations, make sure you get the 400meter recticle that fits the AKM/saiga rail.

I like the POSP much better than the PSO.

If your saiga is converted, eye relief will not be a problem. Unconverted, it will be a problem and you may have to shorten the stock a couple of inches.

The unique rangefinding system on the POSP is surprisingly accurate for the round. You bracket the human torso (or 1 meter target) on the scale and line the appropriate chevron on target. The clarity of the optics is good and the illumination is fantastic.

The rubber eye piece sucks and requires too much head movement to aquire a good sight picture. I dont use them; instead, I use the Butler Creek flip-up lens covers.

Mine have held up well to abuse.

Be careful, there are some fake POSP (and Kobras) on the market made in asia and eastern Europe. There are also some used and refurbed ones on the market being sold as new. Kalinka and EastWave have bad reputations. I order my combloc optics from Tantal, and they have all been great.

thanks very much for the input!! OK then, I think I'll pick one up and see how I like it!

Be careful, there are some fake POSP (and Kobras) on the market made in asia and eastern Europe.

Erm, FYI, the real POSP's are made in eastern europe too. Just saying, you make it sound like EE only makes the knockoffs.

Edited by Agias

Has anybody had problems with the metal on the scope's dovetail bracket getting peened down by recoil and making it hard to mount the scope securely?

Mine is impossible to zero now. Got it from Kalinka. The optic itself is incredible, but the dovetail bracket is shot...

Edited by Rogue-Sasquatch