O.K.. There are a ton of threads regarding what type of pistol to purchase but I am looking for a recomendation based on a SHTF situation and my money status. It is not going to be a CCW carry pistol. Just a lot of practice shooting/ traing and God forbid protection to complement the saiga 7.62. Seeing how the pistol would bein the safe and probably taken to the range to on a infrequest bases I don't know what to buy.

CDNN- Glock 22 police trade in. 1 15 round mag. Very Good condition for 319.00.

CDNN- Stery M40. Brand new. 339.00

CZ-52- several places less than 200.00 Cheap ammo!

I have to pay buy credit card.

I guess what the big issues is whether spending 300.00+ on a pistol that is not going to be used all that much is really worth the investment or with something like the cz-52 is wiser because of the price including ammo. Thanks for any insight.

I would not recommend the Cz52, as the ammo is very very powerful ( and overpenetrative ).

You can't beat the police trade-on Glock, although you can get better deals than the one you mention - if you look around.

The Steyr pistols kick ass - BUT - they may need some TLC out of the box to get 'em to that point.

Having owned a Glock, I can recommend them highly.

Having owned a CZ-52, I can also recommend them as well.

Haven't owned or even fired one of the Steyrs.

I am planning on getting another CZ-52 as soon as finances allow, sold the first one like an idiot. Wolf Gold is available in that caliber loaded with JHPs. It's not real cheap, but for defensive use only, it would be fine. I'm sure at the velocities of the round they will open right up.

Romanian FMJ rounds are available for about $135 for a 1224 round can. Czech FMJ is available for $98 for 1000 rounds. I believe they are both corrosive primed, but that's no big deal to me. The Czech ammo even comes on 8 round stripper clips, which is the mag capacity of the CZ-52, although you can't load the mags with them. I just received a 1000 rounds of it, and it looks good. Haven't fired any yet as the gun isn't finished.

I'm even building an M11 in 7.62x25 Tokarev. A thread on it is in this section.

I would not recommend the Cz52, as the ammo is very very powerful ( and overpenetrative ).

You can't beat the police trade-on Glock, although you can get better deals than the one you mention - if you look around.

The Steyr pistols kick ass - BUT - they may need some TLC out of the box to get 'em to that point.

Hey Nalioth- do you have any suggestions were to look? I have looked on glock talk and gunbroker. The thing is I can't do a mail order. It has to be a credit card. Over penetration was/is a concern but for the cz but for a gun that is just going to the range and not a ccw. I hope I am never in a situation where I have to carry it. So it maybe the CZ would be the best based because of responses on this thread and some other. That is just my opinion. So if you can help direct me to another place than cdnn wher I would be able to buy with a credit card I would definately look and weigh options if there is a better glock price. Thanks guys!

The CZ 52's while they are great guns once you get them to work would just not be my first choice. The 52's are a bit tempermental with their mags and recoil springs along with the firing pin having breakage issues. All of these have aftermarket fixes but need to be done to make it truely realiable. The CZ82 more modern and, in my experience more reliable without mods, would be a better choice.

There are a number of police trade ins that are fabulous weapons but all approach or exceed the $300 mark. The one I really have enjoyed shooting is the Sig P6, great gun and lots of spare mags available and a quality holster can be easily found in the style you like. My main carry pistol is my Walther P990 (police tradein) very accurate and shoots any brand/type of ammo. All things considered $300 is not a bad price for a quality defense weapon.

Ummm....since you mentioned the money status issue...have you looked at the Hi-Point products? Lifetime warranty, inexpensive, made in the USA, and comes in 9mm, .40, and .45.

I have not owned nor shot a hi-point but it's a firearm I've been meaning to pick up. Some people swear by them and I've heard of some people swearing AT them.

Anyway just a suggestion. If you have the time to shop there are plenty of deals to be had in the used market. I'd suggest a visit to the gun shop to get your hands around different pistols. What fits for some may not fit for you.

Hope that helps.

Well, for the price of the used guns you mention, you can get a brand new ruger P95. Tested reliable to 20000 rounds with no stopages. The 9mm isn't what the 40 is, but there are several good ammo choices that perform very well. Also, the practice ammo for the 9mm is much cheaper than the 40 cal stuff. The stainless/poly gun really doesn't require any special attention at all to get a long life from it.

If you wanted to spend more, there are other good choices. But in the $300 range, I'd recommend the P95 above all others (and I've owned quite a few of them).

Ummm....since you mentioned the money status issue...have you looked at the Hi-Point products? Lifetime warranty, inexpensive, made in the USA, and comes in 9mm, .40, and .45.

I have not owned nor shot a hi-point but it's a firearm I've been meaning to pick up. Some people swear by them and I've heard of some people swearing AT them.

Anyway just a suggestion. If you have the time to shop there are plenty of deals to be had in the used market. I'd suggest a visit to the gun shop to get your hands around different pistols. What fits for some may not fit for you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks- It is good info. I have not heard any complaints about hi-point either. I held the 9mm and the .45 and it felt weird because of the design but for the price and lots of practice I am sure that would be water under the bridge. Some past thread said the hi-point makes a superb CQB club as well if you run out of ammo! There are two gun shops in town and used guns are slim pickings. They charge an outrageous amount because I think that cater to people who want a gun for looks and impulse buyers. I was going to call around to some out of town and make a drive if they have something.

Well, for the price of the used guns you mention, you can get a brand new ruger P95. Tested reliable to 20000 rounds with no stopages. The 9mm isn't what the 40 is, but there are several good ammo choices that perform very well. Also, the practice ammo for the 9mm is much cheaper than the 40 cal stuff. The stainless/poly gun really doesn't require any special attention at all to get a long life from it.

If you wanted to spend more, there are other good choices. But in the $300 range, I'd recommend the P95 above all others (and I've owned quite a few of them).

I was wanting to get the p95 because last month CDNN had them for 245.00 brand new in the box with a total of 3 hicap mags. I could not find a reasonable FFL to transfer at that time. Thanks for your info too! I think I will scratch the cz-52.

Edited by Revelation
I was wanting to get the p95 because last month CDNN had them for 245.00 brand new in the box with a total of 3 hicap mags.

Don't you mean 'standard mags'?

:devil:

Let's not play the anti's game. . .

Speaking as a gunsmith, instructor, and avid competitor...I would get the Glock for that kind of money.

The CZ52 is a good gun and I sell a lot of them...but they reload slow, have fairly rudimentary sights, are hard to find gear for, and are low capacity. They were a great deal for a throwdown gun at $69.95, but at $150 or $200...not so much. Better to get a gun that you can find accessories (and spare parts) for!

The Steyr is a neat gun, but again, not a lot of accessories available. This would be my third choice.

Rugers...big, heavy guns...reliable, but big and heavy. Not a lot of aftermarket parts, but holsters are available. I don't care for the high bore axis on the old Ruger semi-auto centerfire guns, but they work every time. This would be my second pick.

The Glock...millions of cheap magazines, plenty of guys who can work on a broken one or do custom work, and a lot of aftermarket goodies. My first choice, for what little that is worth :dollar:

Alex

I was wanting to get the p95 because last month CDNN had them for 245.00 brand new in the box with a total of 3 hicap mags.

Don't you mean 'standard mags'?

:devil:

Let's not play the anti's game. . .

Yeah, they were standard mags that held the legal amount of ammo.

Great info. Everyone has given me great info. I think the glock is the choice for me. Now it is time for garage sale to get money for the fun show. This is my last question! For training and range shooting on my own anyone have a name brand ammo and then for just self defense rounds! Thanks Again!

Edited by Revelation

Glock or XD in 9mm

I just bought 45acp and almost had a heart attack... I havn't bought rounds in a couple months because I had a 250 box I bout in april for 84.99..... the SAME BOX was 94.99 for 250 >.< Holy FUCK.... the same brand for 250 9mm was almost HALF the price at like 59.99 or something....

GET THE 9mm it will be Cheaper in the long run than any .40 or .45....

Don't get me wrong, i love the .45 but DAMN fuCKing expensive.... Luckily I need half as many rounds to kill a badguy so the cost evens out :haha:

Here's what I got for the SHTF situation....VERY Accurate out to 100 yds. (I was shooting 3/4- 1" groups at 50 yds. with mine).

Not gonna fit your budget I guess, but a damn fine 'pistol' LOL (it's basically an AR-15 .223)

Got mine for $429 + tax last august and added all the goodies you see here, plus the single point sling...I guess I spent about $600, Plus a shit load of .223 Brass ammo for $30 per 100 from ammotogo.com

Kel-Tec PLR-16 : Visit My Website

post-7063-1215211146.jpg

Good luck...my other choice for you would be to look at one of the cheaper Bersa guns like these:

Visit My Website

Edit: Link posting is F***** up, just click 'Visit My Website" and you 'll goto the PLR-16 or the Bersa guns....

Edited by BullShark012
(it's basically an AR-15 .223)

Kel-Tec PLR-16

post70631215211146nj1.jpgEdited to add: WTF is up with imageshack lately? Also, Mods, why doesn't the attached picture follow when you quote the original post?

Man, that's just harsh.

I'm sure the Kel-Tec boys want their fine Kalashnikov-based design compared to an AR-15.

To the OP, the Kel-Tec is nothing like an AR-15 except for the cartridge and magazine it uses. To the point: it doesn't bull.gif where it eats.

plr16_02.jpg

Edited by nalioth
  • 3 weeks later...

I vote for the Sig P229. Its the favorite of all my pistols! It comes with either a 40 S&W barrel, or a 357 barrel, and they are interchangeable on the same gun. From my experience, its the ultimate in reliability, and accurate as hell. I also got two Bersa .380s, a Ruger Mark II, a Walther P22, and I just got a new Taurus PT22 as a back up carry for my ankle holster.

But for SHTF, I vote for Sig. Just my opinion as I realize there are many other very very nice pistols out there. I've also been looking at the Kel Tec PLR-16. I just like the nasty looks of it!!! It looks evil!!!