Calico 9mm / .22lr? Anybody got one?

Anybody got a Calico 9mm or .22lr pistol / carbine? Do you like it? What type of ammo you using? How does it handle?

Looking for a "piss away lots of ammo" gun. Think I might have found what I was looking for. 50 & 100 round drums for these. :smoke:

Calico M950 / Liberty III 9mm

calico950.jpg

.22lr version

calicom110c.jpg

calico-cut.jpg

calico960.jpg

a buddy of mine USED to have the .22LR carbine... honestly... IT SUCKED... Ok... it didnt suck really bad, it just wasnt as GOOD as you would hope for the price... I cant say how the 9mm. ones are... as far as the .22LR carbine goes, though...

It wasnt all that accurate, compared to the ruger 10/22. The magazine was not as reliable as you would hope it is... you pop the spring tensioner, load rounds, twist them to seat, then tighten up the spring... repeat till full.. once in a while while shooting a major burst, his spring would go "SPROINK" and he would have to stop, unload the jam, and re tension the magazine... IT also didnt always feed properly, either...

The stock was a bit wimpy for the rifle... but functional... it was TRULY a plinker... and nothing you could very seriously...

but for the COOLNESS factor, it got 5 stars... it handled and balanced well... would *I* buy one???

Probably... if the price was right... and I had the cash handy... How much is the right price??? I dunno it would have to be one of those "whim" purchases... but yes, I think I would buy one regardless... purely for the fact I could load a hundred rounds and they look cool. :up:

:smoke:

My friend has the Calico 9mm. It's a neat idea, but the thing feels cheap as hell. A lot of things shook and rattled. Like the .22lr Indy shot, the 9mm wasn't very accurate either. This is definitely a spray-and-pray sort of gun. It's fun in a novel sort of way.

Their website says a .40 s&w is coming soon! I'd get that one.

I've got a used 22 carbine, I have not shot it yet. I also have a 9mm carbine at my dealer. I got them because they are kind of unuiqe and because I was planning on getting the 22lr Calico upper for my M11. Unfortunately it looks like the Calico upper isn't going to materialize. I do like their cheesy 80s commercial though. HERE is a site made by a Calico fan.

I've got a used 22 carbine, I have not shot it yet. I also have a 9mm carbine at my dealer. I got them because they are kind of unuiqe and because I was planning on getting the 22lr Calico upper for my M11. Unfortunately it looks like the Calico upper isn't going to materialize. I do like their cheesy 80s commercial though. HERE is a site made by a Calico fan.

I used to have a 22 back when they first came out....30 minutes to load.......45 seconds to empty....it got old.....fast :smoke:

Sharkbite,

I honestly have no experiance with the Calicos in either 9mm or 22lr, however if you are looking for a good gun to "piss" away the ammo as you said I do have a recomendation.

The GSG5, I have put 6-7 thousand rounds through mine so far (mostly federal bulk) and experiance only minor problems mostly with the occasional misfire. but I really love that rifle, and its quite accurate, I can shoot the black out of the bullseye at 25 yards.

The mags are excellently constructed, and are way easier to load than any 10/22 mag i have ever seen.

On the cool looking factor I have had guys come up to me and ask how much it cost me to buy an mp5 and put a supressor on it. I do plan to sbr it as soon as i can come up with the money to pay off the feds, i think there was threads here on it a couple of months ago with some good pictures and if not there are some great ones on ar15.com.

Just my $.02 but when you mentioned a gun to piss the ammo away my GSG sprung to mind right off.

Edited by SharmanAJUSMC

I used to have a 22 back when they first came out....30 minutes to load.......45 seconds to empty....it got old.....fast :smoke:

They have a speed loader, but I've never actually used or held one. You just need to shoot slower. ;) I would buy a 10/22 or charger first, the charger is on my list. Maybe I'll add the GSG5, I would get the pistol if I was going to SBR it.

I have both, the 22lr ejector has broken two time. The 9mm firing pin has broken two times and what they call the male sear broke once. The mag's are the only good thing about the guns... Also calico as a company sucks at customer service and quality. The guns are fun when working just because the capacity but the metals used are very poor in both guns. The 40. has been in works for a long time as well as the Mac-11 conversions, when it comes out I will buy one. I wish some other company would make a gun that take calico mags

I want a slow fire upper calico mac conversion :devil:

Sharkbite,

I honestly have no experiance with the Calicos in either 9mm or 22lr, however if you are looking for a good gun to "piss" away the ammo as you said I do have a recomendation.

The GSG5, I have put 6-7 thousand rounds through mine so far (mostly federal bulk) and experiance only minor problems mostly with the occasional misfire. but I really love that rifle, and its quite accurate, I can shoot the black out of the bullseye at 25 yards.

The mags are excellently constructed, and are way easier to load than any 10/22 mag i have ever seen.

On the cool looking factor I have had guys come up to me and ask how much it cost me to buy an mp5 and put a supressor on it. I do plan to sbr it as soon as i can come up with the money to pay off the feds, i think there was threads here on it a couple of months ago with some good pictures and if not there are some great ones on ar15.com.

Just my $.02 but when you mentioned a gun to piss the ammo away my GSG sprung to mind right off.

LOL, good recomendation. I already have one and LOVE it! The only drawback is capacity. Hoping they come out with a high cap for it soon!

my buddy shootin my GSG-5

ScottGSG.jpg

me at range rapid fire GSG-5

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll271/s...nt=78f9fd9b.pbr

I have a Calico .22 Pistol that I fired a few hundred rounds through and it has been sitting in the back of the safe for years. It is currently on consignment at a local gunshop as I try to move a few items to fund other projects. It was fun but as you say the chief purpose was to blast away a butt load of ammo for grins.

a buddy of mine USED to have the .22LR carbine... honestly... IT SUCKED... Ok... it didnt suck really bad, it just wasnt as GOOD as you would hope for the price... I cant say how the 9mm. ones are... as far as the .22LR carbine goes, though...

It wasnt all that accurate, compared to the ruger 10/22. The magazine was not as reliable as you would hope it is... you pop the spring tensioner, load rounds, twist them to seat, then tighten up the spring... repeat till full.. once in a while while shooting a major burst, his spring would go "SPROINK" and he would have to stop, unload the jam, and re tension the magazine... IT also didnt always feed properly, either...

The stock was a bit wimpy for the rifle... but functional... it was TRULY a plinker... and nothing you could very seriously...

but for the COOLNESS factor, it got 5 stars... it handled and balanced well... would *I* buy one???

Probably... if the price was right... and I had the cash handy... How much is the right price??? I dunno it would have to be one of those "whim" purchases... but yes, I think I would buy one regardless... purely for the fact I could load a hundred rounds and they look cool. :up:

:smoke:

I had one (carbine) when i was in my teens.....I loved the folding stock design, plenty solid for a 22. I loved the look of it over all.

the mag sucked....great idea....terrible execution IMHO......bound up at times, spring uncoiled too easy. trigger was ok, but the damn gun just jammed every 2-3 shots.

i eventually sold it for far too little just out of hatred of the thing......today i wish i had held on to it. Could probably have tweaked it enough to get it running.

Love the idea of a 100 round pistol though.........if i had the money to blow.....i might gamble on one of the pistols.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

I have the pre-ban model 951 tactical. I bought it new back in 94 just before the AWB and still haven't fired it. I bought a Liberty model years later and shot it like crazy though. The trigger had a bit more "take up" than I'd prefer, but it was reliable and accurate. Here's the M-951:

CalicoM-951block.jpg

I might actually look into trading this for a modded Saiga 12 or something. PM me if interested.

Corbin