308 vented handguard...

Well, got the first (little) project of the year down today.

I wanted to vent the handguard for functional & cosmetic reasons (Why not?). And, wanted something a little different than the "AK-ish" looking "slots" -something a little more "battle rifle" appearing.

After some sketching, I came up with this and incorporated it into my newly aquired .308:

Saiga308vented-1.jpg

Kinda different.

FWIW, Lollygagger :unsure:

i am still thinking of whether or not to buy that .308 syn 16" at the store, it will be 314 with tax :( and im not sure if i should get one from CDNN for the 16 syn or 22 wood

Whatever you do, do it quick. I just ordered one from CDNN yesterday (12/31/04) and I talked to jerry who said they were almost out, and didn't have the other calibers anymore. Since Remington bought EAA, there is no one who is currently importing the Saigas, and supplies are drying up. That is not to say that someone else won't start importing the rifles later this year, but I wouldn't take my chances. The total from CDNN for the 16" .308 was $265, which includes shipping. That will total out to be $290 after I get the transfer paid for.

so what exaclty is a 30-06? is that more powerful than a .308? does it have the same 8-10 mag or would it have more? what is the max mag that i can get for a .308, i am deciding between a 7.62 or .308, i like the idea that there are 30 rnd mags for 7.62, but i want a powerful one if i am going to spend 300+ on a .308. thanks

so what exaclty is a 30-06? is that more powerful than a .308? does it have the same 8-10 mag or would it have more? what is the max mag that i can get for a .308, i am deciding between a 7.62 or .308, i like the idea that there are 30 rnd mags for 7.62, but i want a powerful one if i am going to spend 300+ on a .308. thanks

Add about 1/2" to the overall length of a .308 bullet, and that is basically what a .30-06 looks like. They are a bit more powerful, and can be loaded to various degrees with powder to provide a broader range of effects than the .308 can. Recoil is typically considerably greater in a .30-06. The .308 is a fine cartidge for any kind of hunting, and, given the choice, I would take the .308 over the .30-06. 7.62x39 does not have the range, accuracy or knockdown power of the .308.

The "30-06" was a adaptation of a prior .30 round in military use made in 1906 -thus the name. The change was to modernize the cartridge, which previously was rimmed (as were it's military contemporaries at the time -the Mauser brother brought alot of change in this area).

The 30-06 is a major class cartridge, as were it's military contemporaries -i.e the 8mm Mauser. These were designed for the battlefield of WWI -and long-range aimed fire. Things changed -in weapons, tactics and territory.

The .308 Win. (Winchester) was adopted as a "effective" 30-06, meaning that within practical ranges of engagement, it performed much the same. It's slightly shorter length allowed for shorter receivers and a wt. saving -most important with MG's. It, too, would be superceded by the intermediate "assault rifle" (sturm gewher -thanks to the WWII Germans) based, again, or changes in tactical realities.

The 30-06 is a great proven cartridge -a SERIOUS shooter should not be without one in a bolt rifle. It can be "tuned' for bolt use to do many different tasks...in this, there is NONE BETTER.

But, it has little place militarily or para-militarily as a automatic (semi or select fire) shoulder weapon...in modern times (still, love them old Garands!). Also, to my knowledge, there is no offering in such a weapon for civilian use that has anything like a 30 round mag avialable (I guess you could aquire a Bren gun in .303 -it takes a 30 rounder, or, a BAR...it used hi-cap mags as well. Both HEAVY weapons).

Anyhoo, not really practical -I used to use a 8mm Ljungman/Hakim rifle with a MG 34 25 round mag fitted...heavy & made alot of noise & smoke (was fun!).

I have ,308 battle rifle "clones" (H&K, FAL, M-14) that I have 30 round mags for...They do not handle or carry well with these -I stick with the 20's.

My whole point here is -if you really want a major class cartridge in a military heritage semi-auto gun, THINK .308.

jus' my opine.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Lollygager-RIGHT ON! .308 is a good semi-auto round, but .30-06 in a bolt is the swiss army knife of firearms! IMHO everyone NEEDS a good .30-06 bolt ( I have had my 03-A3 for 30 years and will never part with the old darling!) I WANT a .308 SAIGA !

G O B

then get a 308 saiga by all means!

i absolutely " :wub: love :wub: " mine!

i'd sleep with it if my wife wouldn't divorce me over it.

only neg is the lack of 20 rounders.

i'm thinking of getting an fal. are they worth the time/money?

can anybody compare em to the saiga 308 for me? pros and cons?

• 2 weeks later...
did you just Dremel it all out? Might do it to mine =Þ

Yeah, used a Dremel with large & small sanding drums...

go SLOW if you use these because they fly apart with a violent "snap" if over heated.

A high speed cutter would also work -I usually use those.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Any other designs for vented handguards?Im considering this mod.