My saiga/ak-"103" conversion problems....

First of all hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I hope you guys can help me out with my problem!

So, here is my problem: the most recent saiga conversion I have purchased(last Friday) has already developed a major problem, when I took it out to shoot so I can sight it in, after about 35-40 rounds I have noticed a black piece of metal fall out when I was putting the magazine in(see pics) I,that second realized that it was a "ramp" that sits right by the barrel to guide the bullet into the barrel...my gun still chambered the round fine even though I decided not to shoot it, because it seems like when I tried to clear(eject the round with the bolt action) the gun and chamber next round in the clip the bullet wasn't having a good time finding the barrel...So I can only imagine if I would have shot it and the bolt would have slammed that next bullet like crazy and it wouldn't go in properly or even get jammed or something.

Well upon closer inspection I realized that that piece was held on by....get ready....GLUE!!!! The last Saiga conversion I had before purchasing the current had that same little piece of metal for the ramp and looked like it was welded but again upon closer inspection we found out that it was sort of "riveted"(half assed see pics) from the inside, they basically drilled through that "ramp" piece and drilled in the bottom of the receiver and tried to hammer the rivet from both sides...well as crude as it looked that saiga never had that piece fall off and it went through hell. :smoke:

So what I'm asking I guess is can you guys get some pics of your saigas/ak and maybe some suggestions on how to do it "right"...I have couple of options in mind like putting a high grade screw thorough the ramp into the gun or possibly welding it...any suggestions are good so don't be scared to post it!!

Thank you all in advance!

70c16u3z2y27syzluln_thumb.jpg

70c16u3z2y27syzluln.jpg

40ivg7kfhise5ngaq9b_thumb.jpg

40ivg7kfhise5ngaq9b.jpg

m8jdduppsoy0kvm8vyz3_thumb.jpg

m8jdduppsoy0kvm8vyz3.jpg

2nlz59d6eyz6092kybx_thumb.jpg

2nlz59d6eyz6092kybx.jpg

4wjfc2er303qru7jyiho_thumb.jpg

4wjfc2er303qru7jyiho.jpg

Where did you get the conversion?

I thought it was bad enough just tagging the trunnion with the tig to build up a "feed ramp", but that glue job is pretty damned low. I'll bet you paid premium price for it, too.

That rivet job is equally heinous. Even my home rivet job did no damage to the receiver.

Jesus! Yeah just do yourself a favor and drill n' tap that into place.

another problem that you might be having is your using "clips" you should be using MAGAZINES!

sorry. pet peeve. clips are for gangstas. magazines are for shooters.

Welcome.

Well upon closer inspection I realized that that piece was held on by....get ready....GLUE!

lol JB Weld rears it's ugly head!

But seriously, most guys screw in their bullet guide. Forum member Dinzag makes great ones. Just be careful when you're tapping that hole!

Dinzag's Bullet Guides

Dinzag will hook you up. :super: Who did the build? :cryss: Best to let others know, so they can check their weapons. :unsure: Give honest builders a bad rep. :smoke:

HUGE +1... a few weeks back, someone else had bullet guide problems... he had got it from one of the larger

Internet firearms dealer who is known for carrying a certain builders AK's.

Anyhow, due to the relationship between dealer and builder... it was automatically assumed that

it was built by that builder.... it was not..... mayhem issued..... ultimately, things were ironed out

and blame was placed where it was due and no place else.....

Well seems like you've tried all the alternatives, i personally don't like to drill into the gun so i'd MIG it, wouldn't take more then 5 mins to mig and grind down.

edit: if your really good with a mig and dremel, you can just weld a blob and grind it into a "built-in" guide

Edited by Vultite

Haha you guys have alot of humor...and are very helpful at the same time!, thank you all for such quick answers I will try one of the products from Dinzag and see how it works!

I totally forgot who the conversion builder was but I will certainly find out next time I'm at my dealer! In my opinion it's absolutely unacceptable to glue that thing in there lol.

Here is couple of questions I got:

With Dinzag's bullet guide in there, how long should it last? If the guide gets worn down can I just unscrew the screw and put in a new guide without a problem? Or will I have to get a larger screw and over drill the hole again?

Also, where would be the best place to find some tracer rounds? And what scope would you all recommend? ....I have one cheapo scope now but I don't think it's fitted for the gun... should I just stick to the Russian PSO/Dragunov Scopes?

Thanks for any input!

I am going to repair a Saiga for another guy that had the same problem. He bought his brand new like that and wasn't getting any help from the the company that did the conversion so I offered to take care of it for him for free. I just felt bad for him.

I haven't had any issues with this method. I use a factory bullet guide and remove the lug rail on the left side. The rivet hole in the guide acts as a drill guide and we just make a shallow hole into the floor of the trunion (plug weld). Then TIG weld it for a super clean weld that doesn't leave splatter, lag and some don't even need ANY sanding afterword.

Here is a pic of one...

ak103bulletguidewc6.jpg

thanks,

Ron

Here is couple of questions I got:

With Dinzag's bullet guide in there, how long should it last? If the guide gets worn down can I just unscrew the screw and put in a new guide without a problem? Or will I have to get a larger screw and over drill the hole again?

Also, where would be the best place to find some tracer rounds? And what scope would you all recommend? ....I have one cheapo scope now but I don't think it's fitted for the gun... should I just stick to the Russian PSO/Dragunov Scopes?

Thanks for any input!

Dinzag's guide, being properly installed, will most likely last longer than your trigger finger ;)

Tracer rounds I cannot help you with since none of the ranges around here let us shoot them because of the fire hazard. As far as the scopes do a quick search and you will see some great discussions. A lot of guys have recommended doing business with Eastwave who gets legit russian optics in. http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes.html As always though, check with our site sponsors first. Suarez for example has optics for sale in his gear store.