I guess this is the $64,000 dollar question

Right off the top of my head, I'd say the Saiga is the way to go because .308 is a lot easier to come by than the PSL's 7.62x54R.

I agree--go with the Saiga. Been poking around a bunch of ads lately and the PSL's however are relatively plentiful at the moment--Classic Arms, Century, Centerfire, SOG, etc. if you want to cough up the $$. If you're talking ammo only, agree choices for 54R are limited although cheaper than .308.

Should I build a Designated Marksman Rifle out of a Saiga .308 or should I buy the Romanian PSL?

I'm thinking that the PSL is more cost effective but will the Saiga build be more accurate?

Whys and why nots are important to me so feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Paul

I also vote for the 308

1. because there is a larger variety of better ammo out there that is easier to get.

2. When you do the conversion you can set it up how you want (pistol grip and folding stock instead of thumbhole stock or bipod and vertical grip if you choose and so on).

3. There are .308 calibrated bullet drop compensating optics out there for 308 that don't exist for 7.62x54r. A DMR is not a sniper rifle it is a rifle capable of doing what a battle rifle does with the additional ability to reach out farther and more precisely. That means you have to be able to balance precision shots with quick fast shots, for that you need a variable power (1-4X) optic or a medium fixed power (4X or 6X) optic paired with a small red dot. At any rate it's not the type of rifle you need to be making calculations for your shots with and then doing little click adjustments on.

4. High capacity mags. Also a very important feature when the fast paced up close part of the DMR's role comes into play.

Thanks for the input fellas. The .308 choices in ammo (I already have one .308 rifle) are a big consideration.

I've noticed a thumb hole stocked Saiga .308 for $549 I think. Is this rifle (in this configuration) potentially more accurate than the PSL? I ask because it's essentially the same price of the PSL sans scope and cleaning gear, etc. Is it a good starting place?

Or is there an accuracy component involved in rebuilding the Saiga?

By accuracy, I mean a solid 2 MOA rifle, which I refer to as a 1.5 moa rifle with fliers. :)

Where's the $64,000

It's before my time too but I remember it on reruns.

You can do a basic .308 Saiga conversion fairly inexpensively, so I am not sure that a PSL would be more cost effective. The variety of .308 loads is greater. My converted Saiga .308 shoots about 1.75 MOA.

How much?

And is there a tutorial for this anywhere?

Paul

Edited by learn2flyfish

I'd lean toward the PSL, just because 10 years from now the parts for the PSL will be out there and the S308 will still be a one off customization build. If you happen to own two or three S308's and therefore have a many year parts supply, then it's a toss up. Just consider all the $'s, you'll spend on the conversion and mags to get the S308 to be what you want it to be.

Just remember that the 54R ammo that is always available isn't what you want to be running a psl on for DMR type accuracy.

You might have $800 or so into it, so I'd consider some other choices before picking.

I think that either of them qualifies as an "odd duck" when it comes to parts availability. If you want to always be able to get parts, try something like an M-14, G-3, or FAL clone, and stock up on spares now.

Or get all 5 like I did. :D Got a PSL, Saiga 308, PTR-91, FN-FAL and a Springfield M1A. Just had to have one for each day of the week.

I think that either of them qualifies as an "odd duck" when it comes to parts availability. If you want to always be able to get parts, try something like an M-14, G-3, or FAL clone, and stock up on spares now.

Or get all 5 like I did. :D Got a PSL, Saiga 308, PTR-91, FN-FAL and a Springfield M1A. Just had to have one for each day of the week.

The Million dollar question is--How accurate are Saiga's

BTW you don't get the million all at once. You get a nickel for everytime someone posts the question. You'll get the million sooner than you think.