I bought a Ruger mini thirty

I picked up a mini thirty stainless with a Fusion rifle system, after firing one at the range in Kenmore, WA.

I want to add a bipod and a scope mount with rings and get some decent hicap mags for it.

Any ideas, folks?

Griz.

PS. I've heard that russian ammo is actually larger than US 7.62 x 39. Is this true and what ammo would you recommend??

I bought one when they first came out in the late 80's. With a scope in place it should 12" groups at 100 yards. I hope yours is better.

When Ruger first came out with the Mini-30, they installed .308 diameter barrels on them, instead of .311. The bullet makers in turn, reduced the diameter of their 7.62x39 bullets from .311 to .310 in an attempt to split the difference and keep the pressures reasonable when firing them through the tighter .308 bore. I have no idea if Ruger still uses .308 barrels or if they have changed it.

Also, the neck expanding stem on 7.62x39 reloading die sets were all set up to expand the neck for a .311 bullet. So if you tried to load .308 bullets in the case, they would want to slide back into the case upon feeding. In order to load with .308 bullets, you would need to change out the neck expander in the die.

Yes.........Ruger fucked this all up.

Tony

Thanx, Tony.

I'll get the bore checked out as the serial number starts with 189.

Would the cost to rebore the miniy thirty barrel be prohibitive? Maybe a proper barrel purchased and installed?

Vicodin and Jack Daniels? Prozac and Wild Turkey

-Griz

I bought one when they first came out in the late 80's. With a scope in place it should 12" groups at 100 yards. I hope yours is better.

When Ruger first came out with the Mini-30, they installed .308 diameter barrels on them, instead of .311. The bullet makers in turn, reduced the diameter of their 7.62x39 bullets from .311 to .310 in an attempt to split the difference and keep the pressures reasonable when firing them through the tighter .308 bore. I have no idea if Ruger still uses .308 barrels or if they have changed it.

Also, the neck expanding stem on 7.62x39 reloading die sets were all set up to expand the neck for a .311 bullet. So if you tried to load .308 bullets in the case, they would want to slide back into the case upon feeding. In order to load with .308 bullets, you would need to change out the neck expander in the die.

Tony

Oh...That explains why the A-Team never hit anybody they shot at.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to not throw good money after bad. Considering you can probably get a decent AK knockoff and a couple hundred rounds of ammo in trade (if you're lucky to find someone who wants your mini30), there's no reason to hold onto it.

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
....When Ruger first came out with the Mini-30, they installed .308 diameter barrels on them, instead of .311.....

I have often wondered if they used the barrels intended for the X4GI in the Mini-30. That would explain the screw-up. :unsure:

Edited by Azrial

I am quite certain Ruger now produces their barrels to spec. Ruger has changed a lot in the last 30 years. Frankly, back then they were still producing the Mark I pistol. My father has a Mark I, and I have a Mark III. The difference is HUGE. His is lightly used, but the pattern mine puts out is much better in comparison. The tolerances have improved dramatically, so I'm quite certain Ruger now produces proper barrels.

Oh...That explains why the A-Team never hit anybody they shot at.

You are correct. With the erratic pattern that the A-team's mini's shot, They never actually hit people. It only created a rare, yet common for the A-team, phenomenon that made jeeps constantly flip over.

Tony

Ruger did change the barrels to .310 due to the above, this was a big problem and it got a bad rap. While still not a tack driver I have a late 1990's stainless with the fusion stock and a 3-12 x44mm scope on it. It will consistantly hit aluminum cans at 100-150m. That is average AK accuracy. The .223's fare better but it is still a fun quasi-accurate rifle. My daughter likes it. Never heard of FP breakage with steel case ammo. That is all I use in it.