Well I got my Saiga, but need opinions on where to go with it.

Sniper or Assault  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Work on it a little and make a sniper rifle or do a full conversion?

• Slap a quad rail and a bipod and enjoy!
    • Do a full conversion, get a skeleton stock, quadrail, feed ramp, make it 922r compliant and have fun!

After looking around and turning over rocks, I found a seller who tried to barter off his 7.62 on a handgun on GlockTalk. I PM'd him and wadda ya know 3 days later I was the proud owner of a very lightly used Saiga 7.62x39.

mine.JPG

The only problem is I am completely torn on what to do with it. I have trolled the site and found gorgeous examples of what a Saiga can look like as a sniper rifle:

Sniper.JPG

AND

Sniper2.JPG

But then one user on here posted up their converted Saiga and I absolutely love the double mag clamps, skeleton stock, and front HG and since mine already has a side/top rail I could do optics on it

assault.jpg

So I leave the choice up to you guys. I am definitely getting a quad rail, but aside from that I don't know where to go. I shouldn't have to worry about 922r compliance if I go the sniper route as I will be using 10 round mags and I will use all USA parts so I can + up in case I change my mind.

Feedback and voting is appreciated. I just can't decide!

Edited by minter66
Go to the range. Shoot liberally. Repeat.

guido2 in Houston

Awesome advice, and a great starting place.

There's plenty of time later to figure out what direction you want to take your Saiga. For now, just enjoy it as it was built. You'll be surprised at how well it's put together!

Mike

What state are you located???

The reason I ask is, that will have alot of bearing on what you do/can/cannot do....

The Great State of TEXAS !!

YEEHAW *Draws revolvers and shoots wildly into the air*

I do plan on going to the range and shooting very liberally (any good advice on where to get some 7.62 ammo?)

But I sure would like to have 30 round magazines when the zombos attack. 10 rounders would get annoying to change.

And I would have to disagree on the quad rail, yes I know I bought an AK, but it doesn't mean it cant have tactical (Im not putting every frickin tacticool part I can find on it) parts.

I was hoping someone wouldn't point out that the 7.62 rnd isnt a sniper round, but now my dirty laundry is in the wind so sniper rifle is out!

As far as getting it 922r compliant I want to replace the HG and Buttstock with american made ones, go with american made 30 rounders...but if I can count correctly that still leaves me with 1 part over 10 (HG+Buttstock+Mag = 3, I have 14 imported parts = 11 left)

What's the easiest thing to replace to get it into 922r compliance?

Thanks!

Your MM mag for ex, is counted as THREE US parts. YOU are in TEXAS (you lucky bastard! :up: ) Hell, go with 40-50 rd US mags!

Your Dinzag FCG is counted as 3 US parts.

Your US made pistol grip is ONE part.

Your US made buttstock is ONE part.

Total US compliant parts should be EIGHT. :devil:

The UTG quad rail model (#478), is economical and does NOT require any expensive retaining ring, but a Dinzag retainer completes it very nicely. For mine I just wanted to be able to slap a FEW stuff on (light, grip). There is nothing wrong with adding accessories or being capable thereof, as long as you don't turn it into a freakin Christmas tree!!!

(Especially when I can REVERT back to the original sporter Saiga, by simply swapping out the front handguard!)

If you want to stay somewhat more 'pure to 100 series form', I'm considering this myself:

fobakset.gif

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Synthet...ting_Rails.html

Remeber to SAVE all you paperwork to help prove/validate your 922r compliance. Enjoy your conversion!!! :devil:

Edited by quikz

Ahh this is why I tell my yank friends:

Fortunate to be an American, Blessed to be a Texan.

Alright quick questions:

How on earth does ONE magazine count as three parts? Do they make drums for Saiga's? (muhahhahahah) :devil:

I went today at lunch and picked up my UTG Quad rail, 3 MM mags, my front vertical grip, 80 rnds of 7.62x39 ammo, 4 mag clamps, and this:

Tapco FCG

Know I know I told you that I wanted to you Dinzag's FCG and you told me to do it, but this looks exactly the same but without the disconnect spring, and I saved $30.00

Bad Idea? If so I have my receipt and can make the drive back to them and return it.

All in all, I blew $195.00 of my hard American dollars. Also, do pistol grips come with the pistol grip bolt or do I have to get that somewhere else? The guy at the counter told me to re-use my ak47 bolt but I told him its a saiga.

Help?

Oh and I plan on turning my gun into this:

tacticoolAR15.jpg

NOT

Your MM mag for ex, is counted as THREE US parts. YOU are in TEXAS (you lucky bastard! :up: ) Hell, go with 40-50 rd US mags!

The UTG quad rail model (#478), is economical and does NOT require any expensive retaining ring, but a Dinzag retainer completes it very nicely. For mine I just wanted to be able to slap a FEW stuff on (light, grip). There is nothing wrong with adding accessories or being capable thereof, as long as you don't turn it into a freakin Christmas tree!!!

(Especially when I can REVERT back to the original sporter Saiga, by simply swapping out the front handguard!)

If you want to stay somewhat more 'pure to 100 series form', I'm considering this myself:

fobakset.gif

Remeber to SAVE all you paperwork to help prove/validate your 922r compliance. Enjoy your conversion!!! :devil:

Edited by minter66

You'll be fine with the Tapco FCG. Just have to monkey w/ it a tiny bit vs. Dinzag's. But it's all compliant and reduces trigger pull considerably.

If you get an AK drum, you'd need Dinzag's bullet guide and such. I prefer just the dual mag w/ clamp setup. Takes forever to load a drum.

Mags count as three parts. Body/Follower/Floorplate, I'm pretty sure.

Best to do all and get all, before the pres. election. I'm eyeing a .308 Saiga w/ 16" barrel as a hedge.

You'll be fine with the Tapco FCG. Just have to monkey w/ it a tiny bit vs. Dinzag's. But it's all compliant and reduces trigger pull considerably.

Great, the savings was worth picking it up today.

If you get an AK drum, you'd need Dinzag's bullet guide and such. I prefer just the dual mag w/ clamp setup. Takes forever to load a drum.

Well I bought dual mags and have a clamp, only problem is I have a side rail and the dual mag gets in the way, if I mount it too high then I can't charge the gun...how do you get around dual mag clamps with a side rail?

Best to do all and get all, before the pres. election. I'm eyeing a .308 Saiga w/ 16" barrel as a hedge.

Yeah, tell me about it. If NoBama gets in the white house, were all going to be posting "Well I finally got my stick and rock combo set in, now I need to customize it!!"

I used a simple file and took off tiny bits at a time on the MM mags. DONT OVER DO IT! There is no going back when filing. :o

You can try coupling the mags staggard, that way you should clear to optics. The mags don't have to be mounted even-steven. Or remove it and put the optic on the fwd rail.

I used a simple file and took off tiny bits at a time on the MM mags. DONT OVER DO IT! There is no going back when filing. :o

You can try coupling the mags staggard, that way you should clear to optics. The mags don't have to be mounted even-steven. Or remove it and put the optic on the fwd rail.

I think I am going to try and move the optic rail back a little, just enough to clear. If not I will just remove it.

Additionally, now that I really look at it, why is my barrel so freaking long? Compared to other Saiga's, its huge!

Additionally, now that I really look at it, why is my barrel so freaking long? Compared to other Saiga's, its huge!

You have the 20 inch barrel. Alot of us have the 16 inch barrel, mine is 16"...

I'd REALLY-REALLY like a 16" barrelled .308! :devil:

fobakset.gif

This will fit on a Saiga??? :huh:

You have the 20 inch barrel. Alot of us have the 16 inch barrel, mine is 16"...

I'd REALLY-REALLY like a 16" barrelled .308! :devil:

Is there anything I can do to get it down? Is cutting the barrel down a legal/practical alternative. Quad rail is gonna look stupid on that if i have a huge barrel sticking out.

I have the 20" model too. It seems that they are the fat chick of saigas. Most don't prefer the look, and try to avoid them, but theyre better than your hand.

I used to get bent out of shape worrying that I had more "barrel whip" or wasnt as accurate as a 16" But the way I see it, and I'm no expert, most SKS's are the same length and no one complains about them. That being said, I would get the short one if I could do it over, but I was ignorant about Saigas when I got it. I cant afford to go back. Mine is my SHTF piece. I've toyed with cutting it down, but can't seem to take that plunge.

Sorry for the verbal diarreha, just enjoy your rifle and don't second guess it. I'd do the conversion, pretty simple and lots of help here.

I have the 20" model too. It seems that they are the fat chick of saigas. Most don't prefer the look, and try to avoid them, but theyre better than your hand.

I used to get bent out of shape worrying that I had more "barrel whip" or wasnt as accurate as a 16" But the way I see it, and I'm no expert, most SKS's are the same length and no one complains about them. That being said, I would get the short one if I could do it over, but I was ignorant about Saigas when I got it. I cant afford to go back. Mine is my SHTF piece. I've toyed with cutting it down, but can't seem to take that plunge.

Sorry for the verbal diarreha, just enjoy your rifle and don't second guess it. I'd do the conversion, pretty simple and lots of help here.

No no no, it wasn't verbal diarrhea, you helped me out a lot. Glad to know I am not the only one with a long barrel.

Any pictures of yours?

Thanks for the support, I too am no expert and thought the barrel looked just fine, until I saw others on this board. Just think though, we can go around telling others "mine is bigger than yours!!!"

I agree with what has been said before.

Run some round through it while you are deciding what you want to do with it.

That will get it broke in at the same time.

I like the KISS principle with an AK conversion.

Hell the only accessory on my 1911 45s are a bumper pad on the magazines.

Edited by gunnysmith
  • 4 months later...
IMHO, the quad-rail looks absolutely terrible. You bought an AK, not an AR...there's no need to go tacticool. Keep it gritty and dirty.

with all due respect i see this opinion often and i simply do not agree... the purpose of me building this rifle was hypothetical shtf weapon... obviously my shotgun would be my home defense weapon.. but should society fail, and the government lose the ability to preserve my safety the Saiga would be my go to weapon.. now with that said, it would be built accordingly.. does it need to be like some insane ar-15 airsoft gun with every gadget one could imagine? NO.. but would my ideal battle rifle have some type of light on it? yes forward verticle grip? yeah... not everyone who adds accesories like that suffers from the dilusion that they live in some video game.. some just want an ideal rifle fitted with items they may find usefull..

how the hell was this thread on the front pageif the last post was from september?

:confused:

Edited by DamagedWorld
  • 2 weeks later...
I do plan on going to the range and shooting very liberally (any good advice on where to get some 7.62 ammo?)

Samco has Yugoslavian Surplus (Brass cased, but corrosive) $104.58 for 420 rounds or $301.14 for a 1,260 round case:

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html

Ammo4Guns has Wolf MC for $229.95 per 1,000 round case or Golden Tiger for $244.95 per 1,000 round case:

http://www.ammo4guns.com/RIFLE_AMMO.html

Cabela's has Wolf MC for $144.99 for 500 or $259.99 for 1,000 (both come in steel ammo boxes):

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=16386

Samco has Yugoslavian Surplus (Brass cased, but corrosive) $104.58 for 420 rounds or $301.14 for a 1,260 round case:

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html

Ammo4Guns has Wolf MC for $229.95 per 1,000 round case or Golden Tiger for $244.95 per 1,000 round case:

http://www.ammo4guns.com/RIFLE_AMMO.html

Cabela's has Wolf MC for $144.99 for 500 or $259.99 for 1,000 (both come in steel ammo boxes):

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=16386

Cabela's has been out of stock on Wolf MC for quite a while (try to add it to your cart, says its on backorder).

My last several thousand rounds came from wideners but they're out of stock. They had Hotshot spam cans (700 rds) for $149 but those have long since dried up. All they have left right now is the expensive PRVI ($232/500). And their wolf shows -15 in stock :unsure:

Ammunitiontogo.com used to have TONS of options for 7.62x39. Wolf, Brown/Silver/Gold Bear, and a couple of match grade. They're just about out of everything now. They still have Silver Bear SP @ $288/1000 rounds http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ind...ammo-click-here but I imagine that won't last long.

They also have some brass corrosive Yugo surplus at $289/1120 rounds http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/pro...ammo-click-here.

It's getting really hard to find. Everybody is afraid that ammo supplies are going to disappear, so they're buying up everything they can find, thus making ammo supplies dissappear :smoke: The local store is selling Wolf MC for almost $9 a box now.

I'm a big advocate of practicing as much as you can, but unless you're independently wealthy that's getting hard to do.