Thinking of selling saiga .308 for a cetme

I've decided that I'm going to convert the .308, just trying to decide whether I want the tapco or Kvar furniture.

What are your thoughts on the standard fixed stocks being used with optics? I like the way the skeleton stock lines up with the scope, especially the cheek rest, even though I can't get the damn thing zero'd in. How do the standard stocks work with optics?

That didn't answer the question.

Is it OK if I buy it and get hurt, you may want to think about your answer.

u plan on searching for a cetme from florida that is in a hole in the wall pawn shop? 1 i dont recommend cetmes, 2 i dont own it and not sure of the SN of it....3 i would like u to get hurt, but cant tell a grown person what to do.

fyi they had bolt action rifles that were seized up...i guess they were safe since they were nothing more than clubs.

it was also made by century...and the accuracy was horrible.

I was not wishing harm on anyone.

post #28 is a direct quote of yours.

I've decided that I'm going to convert the .308, just trying to decide whether I want the tapco or Kvar furniture.

What are your thoughts on the standard fixed stocks being used with optics? I like the way the skeleton stock lines up with the scope, especially the cheek rest, even though I can't get the damn thing zero'd in. How do the standard stocks work with optics?

I like the K-var stocks more than the Tapco stocks. The Choate stocks are well made too. Personally, I would get an ACE skeleton stock and put their cheek rest on it. That is what I have on my .308, and it aligns my eye perfectly with the scope. I highly recommend Dinzag's .308 PG conversion FCG too.

u plan on searching for a cetme from florida that is in a hole in the wall pawn shop? 1 i dont recommend cetmes, 2 i dont own it and not sure of the SN of it....3 i would like u to get hurt, but cant tell a grown person what to do.

fyi they had bolt action rifles that were seized up...i guess they were safe since they were nothing more than clubs.

lol my bad, a complete misunderstanding. didnt notice thr typo. had a dipshit w/ a DUI come in that was a lil biligerant. when i saw ur post i was like "why the hell ios he attacking me?" i didnt proofread what i wrote. im not one to wish harm on people either.

lol my bad, a complete misunderstanding. didnt notice thr typo. had a dipshit w/ a DUI come in that was a lil biligerant. when i saw ur post i was like "why the hell is he attacking me?" i didnt proofread what i wrote. im not one to wish harm on people either.

lol my bad, a complete misunderstanding. didnt notice thr typo. had a dipshit w/ a DUI come in that was a lil biligerant. when i saw ur post i was like "why the hell is he attacking me?" i didnt proofread what i wrote. im not one to wish harm on people either.

Apology accepted.

I like the K-var stocks more than the Tapco stocks. The Choate stocks are well made too. Personally, I would get an ACE skeleton stock and put their cheek rest on it. That is what I have on my .308, and it aligns my eye perfectly with the scope. I highly recommend Dinzag's .308 PG conversion FCG too.

You're not talking about the folding skeleton stock, are you? Do you have pics of your gun? I was definitely planning on getting the Dinzag FCG.

You're not talking about the folding skeleton stock, are you? Do you have pics of your gun? I was definitely planning on getting the Dinzag FCG.

No, I have a fixed ACE skeleton stock on my .308. I saw no reason to put a folding stock on the gun since I really just use it for hunting. It isn't the greatest, but here is a picture of my .308.

Only thing on it that I dont like is it's harder than white turds to cock. I don't know if it's just mine or if others are like that.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a sign of 'drunk monkeys with grinders - making stuff fit'.

Your bolt carrier has most likely been ground.

"Drunk monkeys" is about the best you could say, I'd say downright negligent in some cases. Century certainly knows how to cobble up a rifle. A year or two ago, when they started turning out those Yugo Underfolders, my father and I each bought two of them. Mine actually turned out to be OK, but my father had several problems with both of his rifles. For instance, on one rifle, the retaining plunger on the muzzle brake was made from a damn nail!! I kid you not, it still had the point on the other end....And I've heard nothing but bad about those CETME rifles. HeadSpacing kind of issues mostly. I'm sure some are OK, and I wouldn't mind putting a little $$$ into a $250 rifle to fix it up. But now I see them for $500-$600 plus. The days of the bargain .308 semi are gone I'm afraid. IMHO, the Saiga .308 is about the best Rifle for the money in that caliber on the market today. I'm certain I would never give up mine for a CETME.

Only thing on it that I dont like is it's harder than white turds to cock. I don't know if it's just mine or if others are like that.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a sign of 'drunk monkeys with grinders - making stuff fit'.

Your bolt carrier has most likely been ground.

I have no idea how many, percentage wise, CAI shipped with ground bolts.

Of the six Cetmes I bought, two had ground bolts.

Three required oversized rollers to be installed, more for my personal preference of a minimum gap of .011 than an actual requirement.

I purchased New locking pieces and have them handy for those which will measure less than .011 bolt gap.

Edited by gunnysmith
I shot the mini14 today, I think I have a bad magazine. Every other round would eject the round under it through the top when the first round was chambering, if this makes since. Twice, out of 20 rounds I picked up 10 unfired rounds out of the dirt. Sometimes they would wedge in between the bolt and receiver, causing a FTF into the actual barrel on the part of the round under it. I'm hoping a new magazine will solve the problem. I tried jacking with this one in a vice, but only made it worse. Other than that, I like the way the gun shoots. :ded:

If you own an Mini-14 then you need good magazines. Factory ones are expensive but the Pro Mag 30 rounders are great and cost a lot less. The 20 rounded I have needs to be fitted to the rifle, someone didn't properly account for the material shrinkage during molding. I've had many magazines for the Mini-14 and I threw out many of them after they crapped out. This is why I like the Pro Mag 30 rounders, they fit and fall out like the factory mags and feed flawlessly.

For the guy who started this thread about a CETME or Siaga .308: Keep the Saiga and forget the CETME. You have an equivalent Galil .308 after conversion or a .308 AK. Now hi cap mags are available for it.

The FN-FAL is a heavy rifle and the Israeli one failed miserably in the 1967 Six Day War. I have a friend who saw his friends die because the rifle failed under desert fighting conditions. Some failures were due to sand clogging the rifle (the Austrailans have a sand channel in their bolt carrier) and to thirsty soldiers using their magazine lips to open bottles to drink, most soft drinks were in bottles at that time). Many soldiers used the AKs taken from dead Arab soldiers to continue fighting and discarded their FN-FALs. The cover of Life Magazine shows an Israeli soldier swimming in the Suez canal with a brand new AK which he took from a dead Egyptian soldier. This is why the Israeli army adopted the AK based Galil. The first prototypes were made using a Valmet AK receiver mated to a Colt M-16 barrel.

I had 3 Cetme's. Now I have 0 Cetme's. I believe they have already appreciated as much as possible less inflation. I bought mine for $260 each and sold them for $500.

Its a sexy rifle but:

Harder to clean down that receiver

Mine only shot NATO and not winchester (due to the fluted chamber design, Winchester pressure was not approved, it will rip the case bottom off or just get stuck)

AK action and spare parts (less the bolt carrier and bolt for the saiga 308) will be much easier to come by

I literally used the proceeds from selling my Cetme to buy a converted Saiga 308.

It is the best gun decision I ever made.

Wow, those are strong words. :smoke:

I finally got my POSP scope zeroed in, and the rifle is shooting much better. It's still super heavy to stand (or sit on the ground) and hold and get decent groups, but I think if I had a bipod or a table to shoot off of that I would be wrecking shit. I'm going to look into a clip on bipod, and see if I can't tighten up my groups a bit.

It's weird, when I'm looking through the scope, sitting on the ground with my arms propped on my knees, the slightest twitch throws me off something serious. But if I use the iron sights, I get better groups. I guess it's because I'm not seeing how much I'm actually moving when I breathe. IDK.

I literally used the proceeds from selling my Cetme to buy a converted Saiga 308.

It is the best gun decision I ever made.

Wow, those are strong words. :smoke:

I finally got my POSP scope zeroed in, and the rifle is shooting much better. It's still super heavy to stand (or sit on the ground) and hold and get decent groups, but I think if I had a bipod or a table to shoot off of that I would be wrecking shit. I'm going to look into a clip on bipod, and see if I can't tighten up my groups a bit.

It's weird, when I'm looking through the scope, sitting on the ground with my arms propped on my knees, the slightest twitch throws me off something serious. But if I use the iron sights, I get better groups. I guess it's because I'm not seeing how much I'm actually moving when I breathe. IDK.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arfostbinewr.html

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arpicrailfor.html

Just cut the rail to the length you want.

Picatinny.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The century CETMEs are hit or miss. I think I got a good one, It hasn't jammed on me yet. Only thing on it that I dont like is it's harder than white turds to cock. I don't know if it's just mine or if others are like that. My brother had the springfield copy and it wasn't that hard to cock. If it came down to it -SHTF I'm takin the saiga over it even though I have less clips. I would die ten times before I got the god damn CETME cocked.

A good friend of mine bought a Century Cetme and it went off before it was fully locked. Suspected below- spec bolt gap as the problem. Son was shooting rifle off the bench at the time-no injuries to anyone, thank God. Century finally made good on the rifle after about 6 months. Don't know for sure, as I didn't inspect the rifle myself, but it most likely had a worn-out barrel trunnion and/ or monkey-ground bolt face. My Century Cetme, on the other hand, has been a good shooter without any big problems; however, it does have a slightly- canted front sight. Also, I found the only way to keep a scope mount from working forward on the receiver is the judicious use of "crazy glue" on the mount and receiver. Since using the glue, the mount hasn't moved at all. Also, with the muzzle break "a la Century", I've found it to be one of the softest recoiling semi-auto .308's in my arsenal. Muzzle jump is considerably less than my Saiga .308. And the Cetme will accept H&K stocks and handguards, and surplus German G91 mags. I like both weapons-the price on the Cetme's has risen considerably in the last year or so, and if I wanted to sell the Century Cetme, I could make a profit right now. For simplicity sake, I think the AK platform wins every time. I think everyone ought to have one of each!!!!!You better buy some more semi-auto's while you still can, as our future President with the Arabic -sounding name, along with our Dem-majority Congress, will most likely pass some more restrictive gun laws soon....