Thinking of selling saiga .308 for a cetme

I saw some Cetme's for what I perceive to be a decent price, and I'm thinking about selling my .308 to get one of these. I like the fact that the Cetme has a metal magazines, and I know they have a great reputation. The thing I don't like is that these I'm looking at don't have a rail.

Other than that, I don't know much about them. What are y'all thoughts?

Here's a pic of my .308 as it sits:

Picture001.jpg

The G3/Cetme is a strange fish.

If you're not familiar with them, and you're not buying one that has been professionally built ( IOW, not Century ), I'd avoid them.

I must have purchased 8 or 9 "my cetme doesn't work" Cetmes a couple years back due to Centurys monkey workforce.

The Cetme/G3 depends on critical dimensions and Century is known for GRINDING parts to meet these dimensions (which makes them dangerous and/or dysfunctional).

My opinion: keep the Saiga.

Hello

Not necessarily on topic, I just wanted to remark that seldom does a question relating to foriegn weapons come up that our resident guru nalioth doesn't have some pretty valuable insight into it.

I think we're pretty fortunate to have folks such as him (and certainly not to exclude many others) around to field the tough questions.

OK, ass-kissing session complete.

guido2 in Houston

I don't know why you think CETME's have a great reputation. They sure shouldn't. They're German, overcomplicated workings, tight tolerances, read: DON'T WORK. Metal magazines isn't really a good thing. They're all used and abused. You'll buy 10 and have 3 that work. Oh and you can't mount optics on CETME's, they'll fall off. G3 claw mounts do not hold on CETMEs.

Seriously, if it comes down to German or Russian with guns, I hope you choose Russian every time.

If you convert that Saiga-308 you have there, it will be a superior arm than the CETME. Your Saiga converted is pretty much "the same shit" as a PTR-91 (a nicer G3 rifle, very similar to the CETME, just better) except that the Saiga reloads are much nicer and don't require nearly as much time or effort, and don't require 2 hands. If you get a Vector .308, you can actually have a paddle magazine release like a G3 or CETME is supposed to have. Here's my list of .308's in the order that I'd rank them.

1. FAL

2. M-14/M1A

3. Saiga .308

4. Galil build

5. Vector .308

6. AR-10

7. PTR-91

8. CETME

9. Zip gun

Yes, I'd put the CETME 5 steps down from what you have now, and one step above a zip gun. That Saiga converted is a nicer gun. You should instead put money into your Saiga to pretty it up. Besides, if you shoot with optics, you'll be pissed when you try to mount them on a CETME and fail.

Cool, thanks for all the quick replies. Yes, nalioth is an awesome resource, always has some useful information. I was just at the pawn shop with my buddy picking up his S12, and I saw a SS mini14 ranch rifle. The price was right, and I couldn't resist.

I've been wanting a .223 of some sort for a while, and have always liked these things. I'm about to take it out and shoot, will report later.

DSCF1171.jpg

Edited by elvis christ
I don't know why you think CETME's have a great reputation. They sure shouldn't. They're German, overcomplicated workings, tight tolerances, read: DON'T WORK. Metal magazines isn't really a good thing. They're all used and abused. You'll buy 10 and have 3 that work. Oh and you can't mount optics on CETME's, they'll fall off. G3 claw mounts do not hold on CETMEs.

Seriously, if it comes down to German or Russian with guns, I hope you choose Russian every time.

If you convert that Saiga-308 you have there, it will be a superior arm than the CETME. Your Saiga converted is pretty much "the same shit" as a PTR-91 (a nicer G3 rifle, very similar to the CETME, just better) except that the Saiga reloads are much nicer and don't require nearly as much time or effort, and don't require 2 hands. If you get a Vector .308, you can actually have a paddle magazine release like a G3 or CETME is supposed to have. Here's my list of .308's in the order that I'd rank them.

Yes, I'd put the CETME 5 steps down from what you have now, and one step above a zip gun. That Saiga converted is a nicer gun. You should instead put money into your Saiga to pretty it up. Besides, if you shoot with optics, you'll be pissed when you try to mount them on a CETME and fail.

While I agree that the Saiga is a better firearm, and you ranked the Cetme fairly, I'm going to have to call you on most of your complaints on the Cetme.

Its a Spanish firearm; Cetme and HK magazines work fine(not to mention Dirt cheap), even if they don't it takes very little work to get them to run.

Just like any other gun, you've gotta spend a little money to get a decent scope mount, the German claw mounts, B-Square and B&T mounts are exceptional, they may require a little tinkering to get to fit right, but that's because of Centuries receivers being out of spec slightly.

With that being said, there are far more important flaws with them, like the bolt gap being out of spec, ground bolts; like Nalioth mention, the sights being Canted and the Muzzle brakes being misaligned and then PINNED.

It's a sad situation, too.

Cetmes and G3s are fine rifles. They have a very bad rap in the USA because Century absolutely screwed the pooch on them when they rebuilt them from crapped out parts kits.

If you get a HK91 or a professionally built Cetme or G3 from a kit with an FMP (or other H&K licensed machinery manufactured) receiver and a new or nice barrel, they are an absolute joy to shoot.

I had a Century Cetme/H-91 that was 100% and it really didn't do that much for me. I have a Vector V-51 pistol and I love it (also 100%) AND I still have my Saiga. That should answer your question.

The Mini's are nice, but since I bought my M1A years ago, I have changed my taste in calibers. I had a Mini-30 for some time and it was an accurate and functional rifle even with the USA 30's that needed tweaking to get functioning 100%. I think the only reason I sold it was to finance another project that I was coming up short on cash with and I was between jobs at the time, otherwise I'd still have it.

I shot the mini14 today, I think I have a bad magazine. Every other round would eject the round under it through the top when the first round was chambering, if this makes since. Twice, out of 20 rounds I picked up 10 unfired rounds out of the dirt. Sometimes they would wedge in between the bolt and receiver, causing a FTF into the actual barrel on the part of the round under it. I'm hoping a new magazine will solve the problem. I tried jacking with this one in a vice, but only made it worse. Other than that, I like the way the gun shoots. :ded:

In response to the cetme and selling the saiga, i'd keep the saiga. I have a cetme and am currently building a cetme parts kit. The cetme is a blast to shoot and will accept a lot of hk91 parts. It will shoot any brand 308 without a hang up and the hk mags are super cheap. You can also install a pictanny forgrip for your optics from blackthorne for like $80.00. The others are probaly right that the saiga will shoot better but for the price of the cetme and cheap mags even the 30rd cheaper than dirt mags work great. My advice is keep the saiga and buy a cetme to just burn some ammo through for fun.

Here's a pic of my cetme and a few things i put on it. I hated the wooden stocks.

post-9816-1220790567_thumb.jpg

I shot the mini14 today, I think I have a bad magazine. Every other round would eject the round under it through the top when the first round was chambering, if this makes since. Twice, out of 20 rounds I picked up 10 unfired rounds out of the dirt. Sometimes they would wedge in between the bolt and receiver, causing a FTF into the actual barrel on the part of the round under it. I'm hoping a new magazine will solve the problem. I tried jacking with this one in a vice, but only made it worse. Other than that, I like the way the gun shoots. :ded:

You are having magazine problems. Your best bet is to get factory Ruger magazines for your Mini. The 20's and 30's cost considerably more, but they are worth it in fuction.

You are having magazine problems. Your best bet is to get factory Ruger magazines for your Mini. The 20's and 30's cost considerably more, but they are worth it in fuction.

I figured as much. I've been looking at different types of magazines, consensus says that the factory mags are the best, but I've also read that John Masen "black warrior" mags work well, and they cost about $20 or less for the 30 rounders. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm going to order a couple, and if they don't work well and I can't find a decent deal on some factory mags, this one will be going on gun broker.

It seems like every time I try to stray from the AK platform, I'm sorely disappointed. I guess I've gotten spoiled on rifles that are cheap to buy, cheap to accessorize, and ultra reliable. Is that so much to ask out of a rifle? <_<

I''ve also had good luck with the Masens and the PMI's. USA's are shit. I've not tried the Westerns since they arrived after my not having any 5.56 weapons in the collection. It was hit and miss with the Eagles. I think Thermold is making them again and I recall their old school mags were good to go...I'm not certain on the new ones.

Keep the Saiga

Scramble the money together for the Cetme. If you don't have the money then keep the Saiga

Both are fine rifles.

Only have one Saiga in .308, but bought 6 Cetmes back in the day.

They were $280.00 each with 5 mags. The bad rap from CIA scared most people, and the price dropped from $349.00

Two were good to go four needed repair at the cost of $190.00 for those four

Edited by gunnysmith
if you plan on getting a cetme, keep the saiga and pick up the cetme now while you still can....

+1

I have experience witht he g3 / cetme.

they are not so good.

german engineering isn't all that.

They tend to be fond of over-complicated systems that must be fine tuned, wear out easily, and are difficult to fix when they do wear out.

saiga 308 for the win!!!

I don't own a saiga .308, but I do own a Springfield SAR 8 (HK copy made in greece) and absolutely love it.. It has never given me a second of troubles and is a very accurate rifle. I haven't mounted any optics on it because the drum style peep sights are almost as good for me at 100 yards. I also own a M1A and it is a very accurate rifle. The worst .308 I have ever owned was a FAL with an Imbel receiver. I would imagine I just got a shot out FAL as I hear good things about them. If I ever get another FAL it will probably be a new DSA. I would probably put my money into converting the saiga .308 unless you can get a SAR8, PTR or a real HK... I agree with most that anything century touches will be about 50% f'd up.

The century CETMEs are hit or miss. I think I got a good one, It hasn't jammed on me yet. Only thing on it that I dont like is it's harder than white turds to cock. I don't know if it's just mine or if others are like that. My brother had the springfield copy and it wasn't that hard to cock. If it came down to it -SHTF I'm takin the saiga over it even though I have less clips. I would die ten times before I got the god damn CETME cocked.

The century CETMEs are hit or miss. I think I got a good one, It hasn't jammed on me yet. Only thing on it that I dont like is it's harder than white turds to cock. I don't know if it's just mine or if others are like that. My brother had the springfield copy and it wasn't that hard to cock. If it came down to it -SHTF I'm takin the saiga over it even though I have less clips. I would die ten times before I got the god damn CETME cocked.

A good through cleaning and lube took care of the cocking problems on mine.

This was under the Century brake when I removed it:

Cetme1.jpg

LOL they must have been building them in a sandbox

That didn't answer the question.

Is it OK if I buy it and get hurt, you may want to think about your answer.

u plan on searching for a cetme from florida that is in a hole in the wall pawn shop? 1 i dont recommend cetmes, 2 i dont own it and not sure of the SN of it....3 i would like u to get hurt, but cant tell a grown person what to do.

fyi they had bolt action rifles that were seized up...i guess they were safe since they were nothing more than clubs.

it was also made by century...and the accuracy was horrible.

1. If you have a malfunctioning firearm it is the responsibility of the owner to return it for repair, replacement or refund.

2. We in the shooting sports do our best to help protect one another from mishaps. This is helps make our hobby safe.

3. Unloading a malfunctioning firearm on an unsuspecting buyer is not an exceptable practice in our community.

Pawn Shops are famous for selling over the internet

A pawn shop has to keep records of acquisition and disposition.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Edited by gunnysmith

gratz for being a dipshit and not knowing the full story. it would not blow up. the aim was horrible. it wasnt mech unstable. it worked, but would FTF alot of time.

wow, u r completely ignorant. wishing pain upon someone shows u should be pitied.

God bless u and hopefully ull become a better person.

i didnt feel safe b/c if i was aiming at something i didnt want it to hit something else, and if i was put in a bad situation, i wouldnt want to miss. i expect a certain lvl of performance from the firearms i purchase and it wasnt even close. now go crawl back under ur bridge and frighten little children.