Thoughts on CZ 75 SP-01

I've been looking for a handgun for some time and couldn't really decide on what exactly. After reading the Taurus thread I started looking into the CZ's. These things seem to be quality and for a fairly decent price. Decided to see what everyone thinks and subsequently knows about these things. After looking into them I like the SP-01 myself for various reasons...but i want one in a .40 configuration. Is there such a thing? I cant decide on what CZ to get...help me out here guys! I need to get one before election so im trying to gather everything NOW!

I've been looking for a handgun for some time and couldn't really decide on what exactly. After reading the Taurus thread I started looking into the CZ's. These things seem to be quality and for a fairly decent price. Decided to see what everyone thinks and subsequently knows about these things. After looking into them I like the SP-01 myself for various reasons...but i want one in a .40 configuration. Is there such a thing? I cant decide on what CZ to get...help me out here guys! I need to get one before election so im trying to gather everything NOW!

My CZ 75BD is awesome.

It is a tack driver and very reliable.

I was on the fence between an SP-01 vs. the 75BD but I ended up with the 75 because I wanted an all steel gun and I didn't care about the tac rail and mildly smaller frame. However, reviews of the SP-01 are very good.

Look at what Naloith has for sale today.

Any CZ pistol kicks ass.

Cz-52

Cz-75 (and succeeding variants)

Cz-82

The only drawback to the Cz52 and Cz82 is that they both use weird calibers ( 7.62x25 and 9x18 Makarov, respectively ), but I can find both on the shelf at my local sporting goods place.

The Cz75 (and variants) is one the top 5 military pistol designs of all time. It has been licensed and illegally cloned in over a dozen countries around the world.

I own and have owned many CZs. I like buying guns made where I was. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

1) Stay away from the decocker "D" versions. The gun was meant to be a SA weapon and the DA trigger on them sucks rocks. The gun is no safer with a decocker then any other and by inducing the false image that the gun IS "safer" it breeds complacent and unsafe gun handling in people (or so it seems from my observations). The DA first trigger pull almost guarantees a miss on the first round if you do not train vigorously.

2) Stay away from the .40 caliber. The weapon was designed for a 9x19 mm and it has less then 100% reliability with the .40 round. Most guns start experiencing problems when converted to a caliber other then original design caliber. In the case of the .40 I have experienced and have anecdotal evidence of failure to feed in many cases. It seems that the feed geometry is too steep for reliable operation with this round, especially with the truncated cone bullet shape. If you really want to shoot a .40 get a Beretta or HK as they have better feeding for this round. Further there is insufficient ballistic advantage in this round with modern defense ammo to justify it. Good hits with modern JHP defensive rounds from a 9mm are equally effective and much easier to get and repeat rapidly.

3) Change out the new design short radius trigger for either a SA trigger or the original, long radius Model 85 trigger. I find the new trigger to be too sharp and quite painful to shoot with. Using the original radius trigger removes this problem. The SA only trigger makes the gun very accurate and easy to shoot also.

4) DO NOT GET A CZ-85!!! The ambi slide lock is prone to failure on the right side and such failure can crack the frame. I have personal knowledge of at least two CZ-85s having failed this way and needing replacement. By drilling a larger hole in the CZ-85 frame for the right slide lock the frame is weakened and will fail.

Other then that all the CZs are great guns. I now own a pair of 9mm CZ-75 SP01s, one with the model 85 trigger and one with the SA trigger. The full length dustcover and rail make the gun faster getting back on target. Offhand groups of 0.6" are possible at 7 yards. The 18+1 capacity is nice too.

Regular CZ-75s are great too. Used to own them but have transitioned to the CZ-75 SP01 now. I have a CZ-75 Compact for CCW. As stated earlier, stay away form the decocker versions, all of my CZs have a thumb safety.

The CZ-83 (civilian version of the CZ-82) can be had in the easily obtainable .380 ACP or (if you can find one) the more powerful 9x18 Makarov. I have a Makarov chambered CZ-83 for CZ for CCW on hot days. The 13 round capacity makes this a great little gun. The samll size is also ideal for women with smaller hands. The controls, except the slide lock, are fully ambidextrous and easy to manipulate.

Those are my views. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Saigaczech

WOW! thanks Saigaczech...nice writeup. looks like if i want to get a CZ its the SP-01 for me in 9mm. i went and looked at a few tonight when i got off of work...i liked the steel frame and how it felt in my hands. they guy that works at Sportsmans Warehouse i know fairly well...he used to work at a gas station where i grew up. i didn't know that he was into guns...he actually thought me a few things and MADE ME touch stuff on the gun to SHOW me precisely what im looking at and for. i WILL be buying a gun from that man...he put a :) on my face. after that...he put a .40 XD (M) in my hands...i think i may have made up my mind...until i get the next one!!!

THANKS GUYS!

Edited by sicktooth

More grist for your mill sicktooth from the 1911forum. If you want a great trigger what this guy says about Ghostholster.com makes good sense to me.

maximus83

Member Join Date: Jun 2008

I have owned a number of CZ's, and currently own 6, including an 85 Combat, and several other pistols and rifles.

Of all the brands of pistols I've owned, CZ has been by far....

- The most reliable. As for ammo, they will feed, fire, and extract ANYTHING. My CZ's have been the least picky of all my guns, except perhaps the XD. As for mechanical breakdowns, the CZ's have given me less problems than any Taurus, Ruger, Sig, S&W, or Springfield pistol I have owned in the last several years. In fact, though I like the new S&W M&P's a lot and own two of them (I like the lighter weight and reduced size, for carry), my CZ's are still more accurate and more reliable. I wish I could carry my CZ 85, but just don't want that much weight!

- The most accurate. Out of the box, I haven't found much to compare with an average CZ 75/85/SP01, although I've shot some Sigs and H&K's that were pretty darn close. With my CZ .22 Kadet conversion slide mounted on my 85, I can shoot more accurately than stock Ruger Mk II's and III's I have tried.

- The best recoil experience. The weight and low bore axis of these guns make them very pleasant to shoot, low muzzle flip and soft recoil.

Like any pistol they'll have their quirks and weak points too. One example is, out of the box, the trigger pull on many CZ models can be long, gritty, creepy, etc. But that is about like any other lower-priced defensive type pistol; very few of them have great triggers out of the box. Just like any quality pistol worth having, whether a 1911 or anything else, if you want a CZ, assume that you will set aside $100 to $150 for a good trigger job. With a good trigger, I enjoy shooting my various CZ's (esp. the 85--they have the best triggers, IMO) more than any other type of pistol except a tuned 1911. A really great way to buy a CZ right now is from a place that can do the trigger job for you on site, before they ship. If you buy one from Angus Hobdell at Ghostholster.com, for instance, they'll sell you the gun, do a trigger job and any other mods you want. I'd recommend that, because shipping costs so much these days, and you will almost certainly want that trigger job. Besides, if you have Angus's crew customize it, they will also test-fire it and then should catch any warranty-related issues for you as well. Another option would be to buy the "Shadow" SP01 model, which has a lighter trigger out of the box and may be good enough to go with, if you don't want to spend for a custom trigger. Saw a recent review of the Shadow by the Box O' Truth guy.

CZ's are definitely my favorite 9mm pistols of all time. They'll never get as big a hearing as they deserve in the U.S., because they were originally viewed as a "commie pistol", but their reputation is still growing steadily as more shooters realize what an undiscovered jewel they are. Colonel Cooper said the CZ 75 was the best DA/SA-type auto-pistol in existence. He also liked that you could carry it cocked and locked, like a 1911, so that you could shoot it entirely in single-action mode if desired. Don't know if he'd still say that today, but I sure would.

good information there 1911...now you have me pondering on a 9mm.... :unsure: ...i guess i can just load a mag with some defense rounds and keep that at hands reach. i really do like the CZ's and i want one really bad...but then my mind tends to wonder when someone tells me otherwise...especially about something i know little about. anything else you would like to say or share would be greatly appreciated...thanks for the help...

so whats the difference between the SHADOW vs. PHANTOM? also if you had to choose between the 3...which would you choo choo choose and WHY?

1) SP 01 Tactical

2) SP 01 Shadow

3) SP 01 Phantom

The Shadow and the Phantom are the same pistol.

The Shadow is steel framed.

The Phantom has a polymer frame.

correct me if im wrong...but it looks as if the shadows include the competition sites...

ok...i just found this...http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=3&idz=239&lang=en

a way to tell the difference...CZ HERE I COME!

Edited by sicktooth

If it were me I would get the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow at $750.00

http://czcustom.com/catalog/index.php?cPat...13150b9bd7eaa2b

if I wanted a 9mm. I have learned over many years that it pays to get exactly what you want in a weapon rather than having buyers remorse and selling it at a loss only to buy what you really wanted. The 9mm vs. .45 ACP argument can and has gone on for many years. Just remember when using a 9mm for self defense HydraShok or similiar. The kid in Finland killed 10-11 people with a Walther P-22 so my concern would be getting what you want and then becoming proficient with it. My 9mm is a custom S&W 6906 that Wayne Novak built for me years ago. There were no CZ 75 SP01 Shadows or I might have decided differently. I think you will be thrilled with that particular CZ. Enjoy

i cant decide between the tactical and the shadow. either im sure would make me happy, but im kinda strapped for cash at the moment. i just want to get all my ducks in a row before election. $505 shipped from Angus for the tactical...$750 seems a little steep for my tastes...but you get what you pay for too...

SOMEONE MAKE UP MY MIND FOR ME DAMMIT!!!

P.S. i also dig the bayonet+laser on the CZ's...its just ridiculous!

Edited by sicktooth

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu76.htm Read this thread and you should be able to make your mind up. You'll have the thing for at least twenty-five years. That $245 difference will only work out to less than 82 cent per month. Get what you want but think about that smooooth trigger on the Shadow which is worth a lot IMO. Let us know what you decide and post a range report.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu76.htm Read this thread and you should be able to make your mind up. You'll have the thing for at least twenty-five years. That $245 difference will only work out to less than 82 cent per month. Get what you want but think about that smooooth trigger on the Shadow which is worth a lot IMO. Let us know what you decide and post a range report.

The Phantom is supposed to have the same smooooth trigger in a lighter package.

Nalioth, if that is true it would make a great option at $580.00. I am personally opposed to the synthetic material pistols (you know what I mean) but many use them and get good service from them. I have very carefully worded this, so don't anybody jump me about their particular choice.

Nalioth, if that is true it would make a great option at $580.00. I am personally opposed to the synthetic material pistols (you know what I mean) but many use them and get good service from them. I have very carefully worded this, so don't anybody jump me about their particular choice.

From what I read (officially and otw), the Phantom is the same exact setup as the Shadow, just in a polymer frame.

Couple of European competitors on another forum have used the Phantom and crow about its light weight, excellent trigger and minimal recoil

i cant decide between the tactical and the shadow. either im sure would make me happy, but im kinda strapped for cash at the moment. i just want to get all my ducks in a row before election. $505 shipped from Angus for the tactical...$750 seems a little steep for my tastes...but you get what you pay for too...

If I was gonna get a "Nine," ( :eek: ) I'd seriously check into that new Armalite all steel offering... :unsure:

Armalite AR-24

I have a .40 Baby Eagle which is an IMI CZ Tangfolio clone. It's very reliable and the only thing I don't like about it is the slide safety.

Originally the Baby Eagle had a frame safety and I don't know why they chose the slower slide safety over the frame mounted one. If I could get one with a frame safety I would trade for it. The CZ, Tangfolio and the Baby Eagle all use the same magazines for their calibers.

Well after slight deliberation last night and numerous hours of reading...I went with the Tactical for a couple of reasons. 1)It was fairly cheap 2) You can basically convert it to a shadow 3) I wanted an all steel frame.

I also read that some people are using the tactical rear site and the tridium front sight and getting good scores with them. I hopped on a CZ forum and read up on all three. Nothing about the other 2 pistols really made my go OOOOO and AHHHH...the phantom and shadow of course. I need to get used to the firearm FIRST and then experiment in different set ups. I believe that this was the right choice for my novice hands.

This is what i bought...

post-5645-1222388879_thumb.jpg

post-5645-1222388889_thumb.jpg

If I was gonna get a "Nine," ( :eek: ) I'd seriously check into that new Armalite all steel offering... :unsure:

Armalite AR-24

Why? The CZ-75 is the same gun for less and without all those proprietary parts. The AR-24 needs special mags, CZs can get OEM Mec-Gars for $18 on the net. Save your money and get a regular CZ. Why do you need a copy of the original? Especially when Armalite management made them do weird production design changes to fit their idea of an ideal gun. In the end it is just another license built CZ. I would rather get a base model Kilink then the AR-24 abortion from the same firm.

Well after slight deliberation last night and numerous hours of reading...I went with the Tactical for a couple of reasons. 1)It was fairly cheap 2) You can basically convert it to a shadow 3) I wanted an all steel frame.

I also read that some people are using the tactical rear site and the tridium front sight and getting good scores with them. I hopped on a CZ forum and read up on all three. Nothing about the other 2 pistols really made my go OOOOO and AHHHH...the phantom and shadow of course. I need to get used to the firearm FIRST and then experiment in different set ups. I believe that this was the right choice for my novice hands.

This is what i bought...

Well, I warned you about the decocker and DA trigger pull. Enjoy the gun, but I think you would have been better of with one with a safety. Just my own view.