What's the shortest barrel with regular handguards?

Hypothetical question: I've seen some photos of 8" barrel S12s that have a short handguard and a little longer handguard and handguards of different colors. I'm planning on placing an order for a Tromix S17 come October 1. I noticed that the options for the S17 on the Tromix website don't say anything about handguard choices of styles or colors so I assume that what is in the photo is what I'd get - or is the handguard an *option* that I can specify when ordering?

Suppose after a few years I decide I want a different handguard on this gun. Is that not a big deal to swap handguards or should you really stick with the one that was first put on after the conversion?

Thanks.

A little better look at the TROMIX 10" SBS with factory handguard..........

This is a pic when it was first completed, before it was even sent to me.............

post-3950-1222400811_thumb.jpg

Jeaux,

I really like the look of that and I like the capability of having a full hand guard on the SBS but I'm wondering if Tromix will offer a 10" or 12" barrel option with their new ordering system. It doesn't seem as though leaving barrel length options open would cause too much of a setback in terms of production for Tony but I may br wrong. Tony or Bob Ash, could you please chime in here if possible to answer this question?

Although Tony is streamlining his operation, I'm not sure what options are still available. Hopefully Tony will answer soon, but he's leaving for his hunting trip Sunday.

My suggestion is this: Go ahead and place your order on Oct 1st with whatever it is you want. Tony or Mel will contact you if he can't build it as ordered.

You can go with an 8" or 10" barrel with the shorty handguards. The 12" uses a different gas block position, a new gas tube, new carrier extension, longer hand guard etc....It is much more work to make, and has been discontinued.

If you want a longer handguard on your 8-10" gun, I can do that, but you will end up with a big-ass ugly gap in front of your gas block, where the hand guard extends past it. Additonally, you can't get to the detent to make adjustments to the gas regulator without pulling the hand guard off. I will tell you, almost every time someone deviates from a Tromix design and goes with what they "think" is better...the customer ends up getting a complete piece of shit (that they designed) and then complains to me about it. If you think you are a better gun designer then myself, that's fine, but don't bitch when I deliver you, your own custom POS that you designed.

Tony

...I will tell you, almost every time someone deviates from a Tromix design and goes with what they "think" is better...the customer ends up getting a complete piece of shit (that they designed) and then complains to me about it. If you think you are a better gun designer then myself, that's fine, but don't bitch when I deliver you, your own custom POS that you designed.

Tony

LOL...

What an awesome reply. :D

Wow. Well I don't think anyone is attempting to claim superior gun designing skills but I do believe the average customer will not know as much about the work and issues that go into the different types of builds available as professionals builders do and as such will ask questions.

From my perspective the more information available on a forum that is readily available the better as it should (in theory) cut down on the amount of personal e-mails about modifications, build types, etc. that seems to cut down on production time (there is one thread entirely about a customer sending too many e-mails)

Tony, no one is questions your designs or building skills, in fact, the main reason people enjoy reading and making discussion on this forum is because we love your work, but guns are very personal and thus people like personalizing them. This type of interest and passion for guns leads to forums that include discussions, questions, and great amounts of information and as far as I can tell all the creator of this thread was wanting was some information on what the possibilities were regarding barrel length.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my two cents. Enjoy the vacation.

Don't take Tony's post as a personal criticism. He's never dealt with you; rather his opinion has been forged over thousands of deals with others.

That being said, I spoke with him tonight about this subject. Due to his present workload he is unable to build anything other than what is on the website. The present wait time is 6-8 months, and this is the only way to keep this from escalating.

Edited by BobAsh

That makes perfect sense, BobAsh, and that's what I figured the case was but I justed wanted to be sure there was no confusion over how much we appreciate and admire Tromix products and services; it's just sometimes people like knowing what the options are.

Also, the news about only ordering off of what is on the website is not bad news at all because all of those choices are awesome customizations to choose from. If it'll speed up the process of orders, make things easier for Tony, and keep the prices at what they are then everyone wins.

P.S. This thread has helped my verify exactly which model I'll be ordering ;)

No question it'll be the S17. That little demon is just too neat. I'll just have to figure out a way to mount a red dot sight and possibly a laser on it.

Anyone have any ideas or know of something out there that would allow me to do that?

Edited by Dirkenstien
No question it'll be the S17. That little demon is just too neat. I'll just have to figure out a way to mount a red dot sight and possibly a laser on it.

Anyone have any ideas or know of something out there that would allow me to do that?

Since the Saiga 12 has a side rail on it, I would think the simplest method would be to just get a AK type side rail scope mount (you just have to be sure to get a mount which doesn't interfere with ejection on the Saiga 12). Tromix used to have a picture on their website of an S17 with some sort of red dot sight mounted on it with a side rail mount, but it is no longer on the Tromix website. However this same picture is on Max Popenker's website ( http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh07-e.htm ). It is the bottom-most picture.

Alternatively, Ultimak ( http://ultimak.com/default.htm ) makes a picatinney rail that attaches to the top of the gas tube. Tromix has a picture of this setup ( http://www.tromix.com/images/saiga-parts/Ultimak2-800.jpg ).

Edited by Frogfoot

I would want the full size Tromix galil handguard on it, when I get my shotgun I'll probably drill the hole and try to mount one. Im thinking the 8in and 6in short handguards will be too small for my hands.

Edited by mike123456