finally back.....with pics!

ok so, i can use standard Ak mags in my saiga 7.62. i have not installed a feed ramp and the only mods i have to the mags are grinding the catch on the back so they will lock into place. the AK mags function flawlessly. not a single FTF. Did they start installing feed ramps at the factory??

i have used 3 different 30 rnd AK mags. the bolymer mag you might see in the picture is the standard 10 rounder that came with my saiga. like i said, i used 3 different mags, over 1000 rounds, not a single misfeed. heres a couple pics of the mags.

hoop762,

Maybe an anomaly. Could have something to do with tolerances in metal or assembly. Apparently saves you the trouble of a bullet guide. I'm not sure I would want to risk using varying mags and risk a slam feed. Always better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know what others advise or do but I would install a bullet gide and sleep better at night knowing I have greatly reduced the likelihood of ever needing facial reconstructive surgery or my family collecting on my meager life policy.

Just my opinion. Stay well. :smoke:

Wolverine

Just a what if. Is it possible that a magazine follower, if designed correctly, could make up for lack of a feedramp? If Tapco would design and market something like that you could kill two birds with one stone. Solve the feedramp dilema and one more U.S. part to bring down your foreign parts count.

I'm think it is just a chance thing -I've heard of it happening with others.

In anycase, there is NO feed ramp and the current positive feeding is on a very THIN, thin margin. A feed ramp would be advisable to enhance that margin of reliability.

Jus' my opine.

Lollygagger :unsure: (P.S -I don't see any synthetic mag???)

Just a what if. Is it possible that a magazine follower, if designed correctly, could make up for lack of a feedramp? If Tapco would design and market something like that you could kill two birds with one stone. Solve the feedramp dilema and one more U.S. part to bring down your foreign parts count.

Well I've heard of accomplishing a better feed by widening the lips of the magazine. Glock uses the same mag for thier .40 and .357 sig rounds, However, the difference is the follower shape (just a tad higher for the .357 to help it into the chamber.)

Just my two cents on feed ramps: The AK 47 I have has a horrendously large gap between the front edge of the magazine and the opening at the chamber. There is nothing to support the cartridge from the bottom as it is fed into the chamber. I noticed this while taking measurments on the inside of the receiver. Just to check it, I inserted a loaded magazine into the stripped rifle. I then pushed a bullet from the magazine manually to simulate it being fed from the bolt. It didn't look like it should work. I then replaced the cartridge with a dummy round, and put the bolt carrier back in the receiver without the recoil spring. From there I proceeded to carefully push the bolt carrier forward (slowly I might add) and watched as it stripped the dummy round and fed it into the chamber without a hitch. Just to be sure, I repeated this excercise a number of times, including doing it with the recoil spring in place (but not the receiver cover) and just easing the bolt forward. It never failed to feed, even though it looked like the bullet should have nosed down and jammed against the trunion. These were regular 30 round AK magazines. Upon examinig them, none had a guide or ramp at the front. I didn't inspect the followers too closely though. I geuss it may be possible that having the follower made so as to angle the cartridge upward as it leaves the magazine is a feasible explanation, but I don't know for sure. If it works without a ramp, that's cool. If you decide to put one in anyway, that's fine too. Just as a reminder to everyone though, "know how your gun works". Time spent studyilng these things will not go unrewarded.