riveting up old trigger pin holes

How do i rivet up the old trigger pin holes?

Long rivets all the way thru, Do i need something in the middle

or short rivets

do i need anything else?

I have access to a AK Rivet tool jig

Is there a guide or picturies for this part

Just don't want to screw it up

Does the ace internal rear swing trunion mount in the old rear trunion holes ?

Edited by xls177

I'm really not sure how to answer this, if I were to put rivits in they would be short (very short). Most weld up the holes or install plugs. The problem with a rivit is that there's going to be part of it hanging in the receiver that is going to be prohibitive in installing things like AK stocks or the ACE internal receiver block. You'll need to really smash and grind down the inside part of the rivit, or remove material from whatever goes inside the back of the receiver in that area. My personal opinion is if you use an ACE internal block, it pretty much blacks out the holes anyway.

If you look closely at this picture, this is pretty much what the rivits going to look like on the inside of the receiver. By cutting some length off so it barely protrudes the hole, you can reduce the thickness. It doesn't matter since all your doing is filling a hole.

post-1866-1224807308_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

I filled them with J.B. Weld but I have a ace internal block behind the holes. So far so good. My buddy Bill has an internal block too and he tapped it and screwed in allen head screws. looks good.

Do a search for the nylon plugs guys get at lowes. quicker solution by far.

or short rivets

do i need anything else?

When riviting basically anything, you want 1.5 times the diameter of the rivet sticking out of your material to compress down to form a correct "shop head".

or short rivets

do i need anything else?

When riviting basically anything, you want 1.5 times the diameter of the rivet sticking out of your material to compress down to form a correct "shop head".

Another method is to counter sink the hole, set the rivet and grind off the excess....the now filled in countersunk being the shop formed head. Is common practice in aviation work to fill a vacant hole.

Of course this presupposes you can apply a counter sink cutter to the inside of the hole.

...My buddy Bill has an internal block too and he tapped it and screwed in Allen head screws. looks good. ...

This is how I did mine. I did not originate the idea, I got it here.

GripScrewsTG2.jpg

Get some taper pins from Fastenal.3 pack was 1.47$ .just had to cut to the right length,then hit the pin with and 80 grit drum on the dremel to get the perfect fit.Then slide through from left to right .A lite tap with a punch to fully seat it and wammo.A professional job for less than 2 bucks.

I filled them with J.B. Weld but I have a ace internal block behind the holes. So far so good. My buddy Bill has an internal block too and he tapped it and screwed in allen head screws. looks good.

Do a search for the nylon plugs guys get at lowes. quicker solution by far.

2nd JB weld. Did that on my IZ-132 and just did that part on my IZ-109. Very easy and very clean after its finished.