Muzzle Device Options?

Apart from a visit to a gunsmith, what options are out there for us folks with very early S-12's with non-threaded barrels?

I was told by two gunsmiths and a welder that I'd need a lathe to thread my barrel. One of them wanted almost $300, yes $300, to remove my barrel and put it in a lathe. But knowing better I checked google/S-12 forums. You can thread any saiga shotgun or rifle barrel at home in like, half hour. Dinzag Arms rents a kit - tap, die, and cutting fluid, and has a little page of instructions on what to do. There's also a threading tutorial on these forums too in the .223 forums by (forget his name but he's the mod with the sexy woman and a gun in his avatar). I rented the kit from Dinzag, assuming you do not break the die it is $35 for a rifle kit, $50 for a shotgun kit. Works great and you even get a bottle of cutting fluid to use and a thread alignment tool as well.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/tools/tkr.html

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're not wrong. All Polychokes are marked "Deluxe", (they're old-school that way ), and they are an amazingly versatile tool. Granted, dedicated Winchokes may work marginally better, but not enou

It is the exact same picture without the outer background... look between the slots, you can SEE the cardboard.

Posted Images

All this bitching about prices...price isn't what defines "best" option to me, usefulness is. Some people are more into cool looks or the lowest price....or the highest price even....

I have to say after owning all of the listed options and then some (no I didn't try screwing a slice of fucking pie on my S-12...)...the most USEFUL muzzle device for the S-12 is the Winchoke Adapter sold by Cobra's Customs. It's not just to plug my own product either.

There's no other product being sold that gives you the choice of the full range of shotgun chokes, AND even rifled slug choke for better accuracy with sabot slugs. Not only that, as mentioned above, if you screw in an extra full choke tube it increases the back pressure enough to make an otherwise unreliable gun (IE..."vodka special") run like a champ on the least reliable ammo you can use in the S-12.

That gets my vote for sure.

It hasn't happened yet but eventually they will even be available in more aggressive looking designs.

:devil:

cool idea with the adapter!!! however i thought the polychoke deluxe did all of those things too, with the exeption of the rifling for sabots, and saved you the money and hassle of carrying around (and paying for) a bunch of different tubes. correct me if i am wrong.

You're not wrong. All Polychokes are marked "Deluxe", (they're old-school that way :D ), and they are an amazingly versatile tool. Granted, dedicated Winchokes may work marginally better, but not enough that it's worth the cost and hassle of buying several different Winchokes, carrying them, and taking the extra time to change one out for another. The Polychoke changes choke settings almost instantly, with a simple manual twist of the outer sleeve.

The only real advantage that a Winchoke adapter gives you is the option of using a rifled Winchoke for sabot slugs. Personally, I don't give a fuck about sabot slugs. Rifled slugs have enough range for my uses, and they're a hell of a lot more affordable!

ymmv. If you want to effectively use sabot slugs, go with the Winchoke adapter. If you just want a versatile, short, (non-slotted model), choke that performs excellently with all other shells, then go with a Polychoke.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

All this bitching about prices...price isn't what defines "best" option to me, usefulness is. Some people are more into cool looks or the lowest price....or the highest price even....

I have to say after owning all of the listed options and then some (no I didn't try screwing a slice of fucking pie on my S-12...)...the most USEFUL muzzle device for the S-12 is the Winchoke Adapter sold by Cobra's Customs. It's not just to plug my own product either.

There's no other product being sold that gives you the choice of the full range of shotgun chokes, AND even rifled slug choke for better accuracy with sabot slugs. Not only that, as mentioned above, if you screw in an extra full choke tube it increases the back pressure enough to make an otherwise unreliable gun (IE..."vodka special") run like a champ on the least reliable ammo you can use in the S-12.

That gets my vote for sure.

It hasn't happened yet but eventually they will even be available in more aggressive looking designs.

:devil:

yeah agressive is always good! i think alot of guys would be running chokes exclusively if they looked like door busters. the only time i take off my tromix shark style polychoke is when i want to run that bad ass looking MA barrel shroud :killer:

Poll closed...

I would hope that after over a year the OP has made his choice in muzzle device. Poll is no longer relevent as it does not properly reflect the choices currently available to Saiga-12 users, So it is being removed.

Alright... so now we're getting a sense of how you'll use your new-found and potent mod powers, Nailbomb.

Slaying undead polls... a good idea, imo. No more "thread necromancy" would certainly help cut down on confusion.

Keep up the good work! :up:

I just ask the membership to remember that the mods here have day jobs and lives outside of this forum. Please help out by using the report button on threads or posts you feel need action done on.

• 2 years later...
Poll closed...

I would hope that after over a year the OP has made his choice in muzzle device. Poll is no longer relevent as it does not properly reflect the choices currently available to Saiga-12 users, So it is being removed.

As a new S-12 owner, I believe this whole thread is relevant, IMHO.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm off to get a Polychoke II smile.png

Edited by PainIs4ThaWeak