I came home today and the mailman dropped off my AMD 65 kit today!!!!! I bought it from J&G Sales for $169 no barrel or receiver. I know that an 65 barrel will be hard to come by but the trunion measures 23mm. All the rest of the parts are there and all the #'s match even though I didn't order the hand select. Does anyone know where I can get a ak barrel that I can cut and tap ???? The gas tube on the 65 is a little shorter but I can make that work. First I need to finish My Romy G kit. :super:

Congrats. Have no idea where to get a barrel. I bought my kit from TAPCO when they were going for $99 a couple of years ago and mine included a barrel. Right now I am refinishing some wood furniture to put on it, hate the metal handguards.

The handgrips are a little scratched but I am going to try handle dip and see if it sticks.

• 3 weeks later...
Krylon plastic paint works well. Degrease thoroughly, dry and spray. Let it sit for a few days before use.

Do you like the 65??? I examined the parts and it looks well built.. A lot of the parts that I found in my Romys are stamped where the 65 are solid. I cant wait until things slow down for me now so I can finish it. I dont want to rush and screw it up.

post-13220-1227664813.jpg

post-13220-1227664840.jpg

I like mine. Even with the 12.5" barrel it's a tack driver and light as hell. :devil:

I like mine so much I am getting him a little brother next week. If I am going to build one AMD kit I might as well build 2.

They are pretty lite so I may find a way to connect the two and and shoot with one fcg.

• 2 weeks later...
I like mine. Even with the 12.5" barrel it's a tack driver and light as hell. :devil:

I like mine so much I am getting him a little brother next week. If I am going to build one AMD kit I might as well build 2.

They are pretty lite so I may find a way to connect the two and and shoot with one fcg.

Dans Ammo web store has a bunch of amd 65 kits for $149 to your door if anyone is intrested..

Dans Ammo web store has a bunch of amd 65 kits for $149 to your door if anyone is intrested..

Here it is ready to shoot and then put a finish on it. It came out pretty good. Stock folds perfect sights are not canted, cycles rounds, and go-no go worked out. Maybe I can shoot it on Sunday.. Dont laugh about the pics.. Phone cam. Spend too much on AK's no $$ for a real one...

post-13220-1229137255.jpg

post-13220-1229137266.jpg

post-13220-1229137274.jpg

post-13220-1229137283.jpg

post-13220-1229137290.jpg

Hell yeah man! Nice! I'm getting ready to build mine too. I've got everything but the receiver. Got some brand new riveting tools on the way from AKBuilder.com. Really nice stuff! Can't wait. Gonna go with a Nodak Spud receiver. From all I've heard, they are the cat's ass!

You wouldn't have a link to Dan's web site would you????

where did yall get your barrels?

Mine is original...came with the kit. I've got the Tapco USA Snake brake that you silver solder on and bring it out to 16". Also a Tapco piston and FCG. Got some US followers and floor plates too for good measure.

Here she is for now....

post-1293-1229178450_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1229178470_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1229178486_thumb.jpg

You wouldn't have a link to Dan's web site would you????

www.dansammo.com

where did yall get your barrels?

Mine is original...came with the kit. I've got the Tapco USA Snake brake that you silver solder on and bring it out to 16". Also a Tapco piston and FCG. Got some US followers and floor plates too for good measure.

Here she is for now....

I have an original kit coming from Gunbroker. It has the short barrel. I really like these guns. I guess everyone has their fav. I also thought the Dans Ammo AMD 65 was a deal too good to pass up. I can take my time now and look for another short barrel or build one out of a Romy. Even with the 4"brake it still looks better than the full lenght barrel. You dont know until you do. I found a ITM?? receiver on gunbroker and it cycles fine head spaced fine. Just need to shoot and final finish.The next 2 AMD's will have NODAK as well as the ROMY G that I set aside to do this one. This is a hobby that has been waiting for me all my life. I am getting such a chub building these guns. My G build is posted Start in this forum. It is going to look outstanding when it's done. I found my flat bending skills were lacking. Thanks..

Looks great! Have you considered removing the flanges on the gas tube to give it the AMD look? It can be done with a bech grinder and/or Dremel. I've done a few...it's just a matter of being careful and grinding down the spot welds. Once the flange is off, touch it up with a file. :devil:

Looks great! Have you considered removing the flanges on the gas tube to give it the AMD look? It can be done with a bech grinder and/or Dremel. I've done a few...it's just a matter of being careful and grinding down the spot welds. Once the flange is off, touch it up with a file. :devil:

I posted on the Saiga 7.62 forum about where I could get a Saiga gas tube and a great Guy gave me one for nothing. I offered him money but he wouldn't take it. That will give the AMD look. Thanks..

I posted on the Saiga 7.62 forum about where I could get a Saiga gas tube and a great Guy gave me one for nothing. I offered him money but he wouldn't take it. That will give the AMD look. Thanks..

What a great day for me!! Put 100 rds into paper through this gun. Only 2 jams but that was from the shitty mag I was using. Locked in a USA mag and went to town. Gun is light and will take a little to get used to. 6" at 5oyds is ok for the first time. Came took apart and awaiting my Aluminua Hyde (I don't know how it's spelled) and finish It. Does anybody know the origional paint scheme?? I know the stock is satin and the steel handgrip is satin black. Does the rest have the park. type finish ????

I got the $149 to the door Dans Ammo AMD 65 Kit today. Kit looks basicly unused. Came with a 20rnd mag that seems like it never had a round in it. It has everything shown in the pic on his website. The most useed part are the grips but thet are soft and all of them are like that. With the cost of everything going up this I think is a great deal. It even has a blank firing device, sling and full tool kit with a wrench.. :lolol::lolol:

here ya go i know bad pics but it does show the excellent finish on it its a nodak reciever i am gonna upgrade it and give the amd a good name

sorry trouble with pics i must have to compress them or something not sure how too

Edited by caliberclark

I finished a AMD kit today just have to let the Alumahyde II dry. I coated it yesterday and today I put it together and touched up the scars and now let it dry for a couple of weeks. This will give me some time to shoot my Saiga, since I have not paying any attention to it. The colors wound up backwards. The grips were too dark and I thought the dark parkerizing grey was darker. It will be diff.