Alternative 12 ga mags

buy any mags you find brother..i'll send you cash soon as you drop info on the catch of the day.....i need mags....my bud was going to hook me up with some usas-12 goodies.. he would only hook me up with 2 mags....he fagged out on the drum...after offering him 150.00 fro drum, and mags. dude goes home. gets on the computer. sees he hit gold years ago buying these f'n things, and will only sell me mags(all i could afford) dick offers the drum for 400.00..sheesh...thinking of posting his e-mails on a fag forum or something..lol

if any of you are crazy enough, or no someone wealthier than us. i got a friend? who has (1) USAS-12 drum.. few scuffs...bought in 1995..never used. 400.00

sorry..mags taken..not selling

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're just doing a prototype, couldn't you make the follower out of a piece of wood? It should be pretty easy to get it in the proper shape.

I guess a better term would be working prototype. What I would like to do is come up with a way to convert CETME mags as an alternative. That means I gotta make one work first and then go back and figure the best/easiest way to do it.

Eventually I would like to have picture tutorial.

On the other hand, I think someone will eventually import mags in large quantity and/or even make some domestically. I hope my efforts are all for naught.

BTW, a 20 round CETME mag will only hold 5 rounds. Not sure what a 30 rounder will end up holding if we get that far.

it.

On the other hand, I think someone will eventually import mags in large quantity and/or even make some domestically. I hope my efforts are all for naught.

BTW, a 20 round CETME mag will only hold 5 rounds. Not sure what a 30 rounder will end up holding if we get that far.

NOT going to happen. Your doing good work. I'll be the next in line as soon as I get a cetme mag. does someone have one to send me? I'll even buy it.

The 30's should to alot, atleast 8 hopefully 9.

I have ten USAS-12 10-round mags, and two drums...but I use them in my...USAS-12...

It just isn't that hard to build 10-round (actually 11-12 round) Saiga-12 magazines out of two 5-round mags. Sigh. Some folks work too hard :)

I'll be at the SHOT Show too ;)

Alex

Wakal?

USAS-12???You have one??

My dick head co-worker has 1 USAS-12 Drum for sale....he says 400.00...once he realizes he can't find anybody...do you want it?? And he did sell me 2 mags for your insanely heavy&priced gun...are you interested?

i can't imagine they are easy to find today. And it would be kinda messed up for me to alter them if you own this gun.....i dunno. just thinking about it after your post...

Ah, drums...back when you could buy neat stuff on eBay. I'm not interested at $400. Hell, I have about a hundred and a half in both of my drums! I use my USAS-12 for IPSC 3-Gun. Works great, although I do have a Saiga-12 built up and a S-20 that I just finished. Mags reload faster than tubes ;)

Alex

A friend of mine has the S-12 right now, sorry, otherwise I'd fire up my cruddy digital camera. Easy, though...3/4" tall at the front and back, 1/2" in the middle with an arch shape. All the edges radiused ;)

Alex

It just isn't that hard to build 10-round (actually 11-12 round) Saiga-12 magazines out of two 5-round mags. Sigh. Some folks work too hard :)

sigh. Mind telling us where we can find even 5 round mags in quantity?

Fact is, due to shortage and cost of 5 rounders, we have no option.

Caspian

Is there a way to make some kind of mag Extension using a mag like a G3 or similar that you could replace the mags floor plate with on a S-12 five round mag?

I don't have a S-12 yet so I really don't know what the bottom of the mag looks like.

It just seems easer to work on some kind of mag Extension than reworking a deferent mag to fit the rifle.

Is there a way to make some kind of mag Extension using a mag like a G3 or similar that you could replace the mags floor plate with on a S-12 five round mag?

I don't have a S-12 yet so I really don't know what the bottom of the mag looks like.

It just seems easer to work on some kind of mag Extension than reworking a deferent mag to fit the rifle.

I think the problem with that is you are talking about a plastic factory mag and a metal CETME/G3 mag. Tough to get those of different materials and slightly different dimensions to match up.

However, it might work to weld two 20 round CETME mags together. I am still working on fabricating a follower for my CETME mags. The original S12 mag follower will work in the CETME mag but it still hangs up somewhat and won't hand cycle reliably. If I can get a working follower than anything is possible.

BTW, I cut the barrel down on my S12 and converted it to a pistol grip last night. Not too difficult once I figured out what I was doing.

Edited by zipgun

Well, now that you mention it, I did give the double stack 12 gauge mag a thought. It wasn't much of a thought. The only thing I can think to say on it is that it would almost have to be a single feed magazine (like most pistol mags, double stack, but only one round on top). They would definately be bulky. Probably pretty heavy too (depending on capacity). Other than that, you would have to be making them yourself. I do not believe there are any magazines out there that will hold a double stack of 12 gauge shells. Of course, if you can design something, it shouldn't be that hard to get a small production run of them, especially if others contributed money to the order. Then again, who knows if anyone even wants them? Oh well, just my two cents.

Making mags isn't as easy as it looks. I've gotten a real education in trying to convert a CETME mag to a S12 mag.

First, particularly with rimmed cartridges like the 12 ga, the dynamics of the follower and feeding change from the time the mag is full until it is empty. The shells shift fore and aft and side to side which makes them mis-feed. The follower binds up under heavy spring tension but also under light tension.

The feed angle, the feed lips, the shell guide all affect the reliability of feeding and loading. Then the dimensions of the mag have to fit the mag well, clear the bolt and still work. Tis a pain in the arse.

Seems to me, then after reading this post all the way through again...

The most likely aspect of a high cap 12 gauga saiga mag is the "Extend a 5 rounder" option... find SOME way to make a rectangle of plastic, that will be the same size as the bottom of a Saiga 12... hook it on with fiberglass or whatever works...a Longer spring... and go to town...

Wish I had more to say on this post than just that piddly little bit of obviousness.

Actually it seems to me the easiest is simply cut the top of one plastic mag off and glue it to the bottom of another. Use the same follower Find some kind of long spring.

In that 5 rd factory mags are scarce, we are hesitant in cutting them up.

s I am half tempted to take the dimensions of the factory S12 mag into work and see if the metal shop would bend me up a metal box of the same dimension only longer. Use a 30 round AK mag spring and the original follower and see what happens.

Edited by zipgun

Here's a thought...maybe we could try making our own plastic mags?

1) Get 4 sheets of plastic. Cut, bend wrestle until you have the 4 walls of the Saiga mag. (bond 2 layers of thinner plastic or carbon fiber to create the guiding recesses on the inside of the mag). Make the front and back panels a bit thicker than the stock Saiga mag, and sandwich them between the side panels.

2) Using a plastic-welding type adhesive (or perhaps just epoxy), bond the 4 walls together until you have a fairly fragile mag.

3) Wrap tightly with a layer of fiberglass weave or some other supporting synthetic fibrous structure to prevent mag from splitting along seams.

4) Wrap a thinner strip of material around the top until you have built up enough stuff to make the side-ridges for fititng against the magwell

5) Stamp out metal feed lips and front clip. Attach to mag with some JB-Weld or other good metal bonder.

6) Dip the whole thing in resin

7) Grind to fit.

This is definitely more work than converting a .308 mag though, I would think. More work than welding a metal box up too.

Edited by ForGreatJustice

After reading this post and examining a couple of HK G3 mags I had laying around I have begun work on two different possible mag solutions. One is to use the G3/Cetme mag as an extension of the Saiga mag. By removing the Saiga mag base and grinding away some plastic I was able to connect a G3 mag into the Saiga Mag bottom channel . I am having some problems with getting the Saiga follower to make the transition into the G3 Mag. The Saiga follower seems to be catching and hanging up. The other solution was to convert the G3/ Cetme mag to fit the Saiga. I took a little different approach with the way I cut up the G3 mag.I focused on the top feed area of both mags and not on the angle at which the mag will rest in the gun. I concluded that with some Dremel work the G3 mag could be made to replicate the top feed area of a Saiga mag quite nicely. I still need to detail trim the top and have to fabricate a follower and front and rear lugs to hold the mag in place in the gun. Take a look and see .

post-2-1106837225.jpg

Very Interesting Full Metal Jacket, I had thought of doing something similar with the saiga 308 magazines, but had not thought of attaching a different type of magazine to the bottom. Great pics, by the way. Question though, I'm pretty sure you can get polymer G3 mags, would those work the same way? They might look a little better. Still great job. Keep up the good work.