economic heads up optics

I have a Barska red dot on one that seems to be holding up ok. I got the gun used and have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. If you are just looking for something to tide you over you might want to look into it. The can be had for 20-40$. Not really endorsing this just saying that I have one that seems to be holding up.

I wouldn't trust an Eotech on a shotgun, I have had two go tits up while on my 9mm AR SBR.

Both times the Eotech stopped holding their zero.

I can't recommend any RDS in the $100-$125 price range that will hold up to the recoil of a 12ga shotgun.

I plan on using an Aimpoint T-1 in a custom low mount once my S12 gets back from Red Jacket.

I pondered putting on optic on my S12 for awhile. If I was going to I'd go one of two paths.

1. no bs and no worry just get a gen 3 kobra(or whatever generation doesnt have the battery contacts getting flattened problem)

2. gamble with a doctor optic type. Silcone it up and see if it fails...

I just received one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But it's shotgun rated and has a lifetime guarantee. Midway has excellent customer service and it received good reviews. I'll post again after I give it a workout this weekend.

x2, I bought that one as well. It is made specifically for shotguns and it has a lifetime warranty.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But it's shotgun rated and has a lifetime guarantee. Midway has excellent customer service and it received good reviews. I'll post again after I give it a workout this weekend.

I had one of those on my S12, mounted on a rail on the gas tube. I shot it right to pieces in about 3 3-gun matches. The brightness knob just worked its way right off, or almost right off before I removed the sight. It was still working the whole time, though. I was shooting the low brass 100-pak Walmart stuff.

I don't know what their idea of "shotgun rated" means, but my S12 ate it for breakfast.

I had one of those on my S12, mounted on a rail on the gas tube. I shot it right to pieces in about 3 3-gun matches. The brightness knob just worked its way right off, or almost right off before I removed the sight. It was still working the whole time, though. I was shooting the low brass 100-pak Walmart stuff.

I don't know what their idea of "shotgun rated" means, but my S12 ate it for breakfast.

Did you send it back to TruGlo, I am curious as to how their "life time warranty" works since I have that sight and another one that is on my AR.

No, I didn't send it back. It sat around here for a few months, and one day I took it apart. The srews holding the "spring clamp" that keeps the knob on had backed out. They didn't actually tighten up on anything. I made a spacer for them to tighten onto, and reassembled it. It works as it should, but I haven't put it back on the S12. I moved the rear sight on the S12 to the back of the dust cover, and I like that setup well enough that I have no optics on it at all.

Right now I have it on the Cobray M11 I built. It's working on that, so far, but then again that has almost no recoil.

No, I didn't send it back. It sat around here for a few months, and one day I took it apart. The srews holding the "spring clamp" that keeps the knob on had backed out. They didn't actually tighten up on anything. I made a spacer for them to tighten onto, and reassembled it. It works as it should, but I haven't put it back on the S12. I moved the rear sight on the S12 to the back of the dust cover, and I like that setup well enough that I have no optics on it at all.

Right now I have it on the Cobray M11 I built. It's working on that, so far, but then again that has almost no recoil.

Thanks for the info.

I may just take my time and try to find a used one since the others don't seem to be durable enough to withstand the shock.

Those are twice the price range the OP was looking for.

I think natchezss.com had them on sale for about $175. That only makes it $50 more than your price point and not twice the price. Shop around and look on ebay You may be able to find one in your price range. I have also ran across no name brand sites that look just like the fast fire but I don't know how well built they are.

Edited by hkmp5s

fastfire's are $170 shipped on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=390010385433

MS's cashback is back up at 25%. So that'd bring the price down to around $128. Pretty damn close to the OP's range.

Few comments though and this is just from other's forum posts. Ive never used one.

I've seen a handfull of posts reporting fastfire's have a bad tendency to turn off under a lot of recoil

On the flip side LaRue's AK IronDot(http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=134) uses the fastfire.

Id have 100% faith in any products LaRue makes/uses...

There is no easy way to mount a fastfire to an S12. Either get the Ultimak rail, a quad rail, or do something Custom.

I love making stuff so I'd look at making a mounting system for a fastfire as a fun project. But thats just me.

Jamesavery22 -- what is the "MS's cashback is back up at 25%" comment referring to? Anti sales tax for Mississippi residents? I'm half expecting to kick myself when you explain what the MS stands for, but can't for the life of me come up with anything that makes sense. Thanks in advance for your time.

Jamesavery22 -- what is the "MS's cashback is back up at 25%" comment referring to? Anti sales tax for Mississippi residents? I'm half expecting to kick myself when you explain what the MS stands for, but can't for the life of me come up with anything that makes sense. Thanks in advance for your time.

i'd like to know what ms stands for. i have a fastfire on a glock 17, it takes a pounding riding the slide. still in one piece. 128.00 would buy me another. thanks

This should help explain what he is refering to.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13412

You are not just limited to stuff from swfa it's good for most ebay retailers like optics planet. I have never used it myself but I hear about it a lot. Like a mail in rebate only it puts the money in your paypal account.

Sandydog you have one on your glock, What do you think about it. I want to put one on my m&p but I just couldn't belive that that thing would survive riding the slide on a simiauto pistol. If it holds it zero on that then a 12 guage should be nothing.

James,

Thanks for the MS 25% info. I just signed up and saved $42.50. I also had a 10% e-bay coupon (thanks for the instructions, HKMP5). That knocked off another $17. I had to pay sales tax so that raised it another $11. Overall cost will be around $124. AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Caspian

This should help explain what he is refering to.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13412

You are not just limited to stuff from swfa it's good for most ebay retailers like optics planet. I have never used it myself but I hear about it a lot. Like a mail in rebate only it puts the money in your paypal account.

Sandydog you have one on your glock, What do you think about it. I want to put one on my m&p but I just couldn't belive that that thing would survive riding the slide on a simiauto pistol. If it holds it zero on that then a 12 guage should be nothing.

works well on the glock. no problems so far.

I have a box full of optics defeated by the S-12. Even a Kobra first gen that slammed the batteries back too many times (could be a 25.00 fix, but i was done fixing failed optics). I have BSA, Kobra, Harris, Barska, Tasco, and a few other chinese stampings on different sights. I have strapped a C-MORE to the barrel and have blasted just shy of a thousand rounds of in general high brass down the tube, with not a flicker. I have some of these on 1911 race guns that have > 8K rounds them also. very sturdy. If you get the "railway" version, it can hook up to any picattiny rail setup. Other than that, I have bits and pieces of every chinese and even some US made red dots that are mostly parts bins worth nothing. I did have an aimpoint on it that lasted a long time, but found a better use on an AR handgun for it. I paid 200 for the C-more, not sure if you can get a used one for less. might be worth looking into, or a 2nd or 3rd gen Kobra that has the smaller, lighter mass batteries. Doctor sights are low mass (equals low forces now matter what the acceleration) and many have good luck with those on other high recoil guns. Heard good things about them.