NoDak Spud Receivers

I've got this AK pistol kit that I'm about to build. I'm super happy with my purchase, it's got the shortened barrel and the shortened gas tube, and matching numbers on the front trunnion and bolt. My question is, 1) what are y'all experience with the NDS receiver, and 2) should I spring the extra cash (and extra 6 week wait) for a custom serial numbered receiver so that I can keep all the numbers the same?

They won't do custom serial numbers on the cheap $60 receiver that I was looking at, so I'd be looking at about $140 +shipping for a romanian style receiver with custom serial numbers to match the rest of the parts. Do you think it's worth it, or am I just being a nerd? If I get the cheap receiver with no custom #'s I'll be sliding in at right around $400 for the build, which was what I was wanting to spend in the first place.

Lemme get some of that advice (or opinion) that this forum is so famous for.

Yeah, I know they're not really practical, but I've got all these chinese drums, and they don't work to great with my Yugo underfolder (my only 7.62x39 gun), so I figured I'd get an AK pistol to put on the drums.

In all honesty, though, I think an AK pistol with some sort of laser would be pretty awesome for an urban SHTF go-to gun. I can shoot pretty good with my buddy's Draco, up to about 50-70 yards. Plus, think about packing an AK pistol with a 100 round drum under your jacket, and having it justified by you concealed carry permit. Not that I would do this, but the novelty is just too much to pass up.

BTW, thanks for the info on your experience with the NDS. Which ones have you used? Do you think they're all the same, just with different safety markings, or the occasional underfolder holes cut in the rear?

Edited by elvis christ

Have used them for 7.62x39, and 5.45 Krink, and maybe another one or two. Metallurgically they are all similar with the proper holes and configurations for the different variants. One run of the Krink receivers had a weak spot weld on a trigger guard plate which was really no big deal and they were very appreciative of the info. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Speaking of Krinks, have you seen the sportman's guide krink parts kit? It's $700, but $630 if you have the buyer's club, which I do. I also have a $15 off coupon, which would bring it to $635 shipped. I don't know if this is a good deal or not, it's a brand new parts kit, though, with complete FCG, folding stock, barrel, etc. Everything minus the receiver. If anyone is interested in it shoot me a PM and I'll order it for you. Just send me a MO and pay shipping to your place, and I'll take care of it. I would get on it, but I've got no use for another caliber. I've got to work with the ammo I got.

1) AK pistols are toys. They're neither as accurate as a pistol or as accurate as a rifle. IMHO, an SBR is the best way to go for a short barreled AK. The shoulder stock exponentially increases the usability of the short barrel.

2) Nobody is gonna care what the serial number is on a cut-up-into-a-pistol AK parts kit. They tend to get more wood with a beautiful Polish kit with a matching receiver number. AK pistols are "toys". You build it for yourself, you're most likely gonna be keeping it for yourself.

3) Nodak Spud receivers are top drawer / the cat's pajamas / cream of the crop / unparelleled / unmatched in quality / etc, ad infinitum

I've got this AK pistol kit that I'm about to build. I'm super happy with my purchase, it's got the shortened barrel and the shortened gas tube, and matching numbers on the front trunnion and bolt. My question is, 1) what are y'all experience with the NDS receiver, and 2) should I spring the extra cash (and extra 6 week wait) for a custom serial numbered receiver so that I can keep all the numbers the same?

They won't do custom serial numbers on the cheap $60 receiver that I was looking at, so I'd be looking at about $140 +shipping for a romanian style receiver with custom serial numbers to match the rest of the parts. Do you think it's worth it, or am I just being a nerd? If I get the cheap receiver with no custom #'s I'll be sliding in at right around $400 for the build, which was what I was wanting to spend in the first place.

Lemme get some of that advice (or opinion) that this forum is so famous for.

I like the NDS receivers. I think they are much better than the Ohio Ords. I built a G on the Ohio and had a lot of issues. As far as the custom numbers thats really up to you. I think it would be cool to have them all match. But if you plan to sell it, it might be harder to get your money back out of it. Remember a buyer is only going to see it as a parts gun or maybe not. If you plan to keep it and can afford the extra money plus don't mind waiting for the custom #'s go for it!

Post some pics when it's done.

I plan on keeping it, especially considering it's the first gun I'll actually put together. I've done a saiga conversion, but that's really like bicycle mechanics, as far as I'm concerned. Not like putting an AK together is rocket science, but still a bit different.

Nalioth, I understand your sentiment, and I totally agree. But like I said, i do pretty well with my friend's AK pistol. Besides, I don't really want to put my name on any other government lists at this point, so the SBR path is out, unless I can be informed otherwise. I filled out a C&R form, turned the copy in to the sheriff's office, but have been sitting on it, pondering whether or not I want to have my name affiliated in that manner if things get really bad. I mean, I've bought a few new guns, but I think licensing and tax stamps take it to another level. Is this an incorrect assumption?

<snip> I think licensing and tax stamps take it to another level. Is this an incorrect assumption?
Not quite sure what you're assuming.

Having an NFA weapon isn't gonna get you on any more lists than you're on now (if the lists exists, right?)

Owning an NFA weapon doesn't deprive you of any rights (unlike having an FFL, which gives the revenuers "inspection rights").

Not sure about you, but I've been fingerprinted several times for a number of jobs. Some were at federal level, some local.

I personally don't see spending $200 for the privilege of losing 2 inches of barrel, and the fact that said weapon will be very tightly controlled ( unless you set up a corporation to 'own' the NFA weapon and list others on it, should your house catch on fire, nobody but you could legally get the NFA weapon out of it [ IOW, only you will be allowed to possess the NFA item, unless it's owned by a corporation with more than one officer ]).

I'm just not a big fan of AK pistols except as ammo waste vectors (they're very good for that purpose). You mention SHTF use, but I don't think it'd be accurate enough for that ( you want to keep the zombies at a distance ). Using it for home defense is a guarantee of a level playing field, because as soon as you fire off the first shot in a house at night, you'll be blind and deaf from the report.

I'm just not a fan of the Ak pistol.

I plan on keeping it, especially considering it's the first gun I'll actually put together. I've done a saiga conversion, but that's really like bicycle mechanics, as far as I'm concerned. Not like putting an AK together is rocket science, but still a bit different.

Nalioth, I understand your sentiment, and I totally agree. But like I said, i do pretty well with my friend's AK pistol. Besides, I don't really want to put my name on any other government lists at this point, so the SBR path is out, unless I can be informed otherwise. I filled out a C&R form, turned the copy in to the sheriff's office, but have been sitting on it, pondering whether or not I want to have my name affiliated in that manner if things get really bad. I mean, I've bought a few new guns, but I think licensing and tax stamps take it to another level. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I'm an FFL and I have a C&R plus a Gemtech 223 suppressor. I have no worries at all about it. With a C&R if you give up your license you don't even surrender your bound book, as an FFL you do. The Gov makes a lot of money on NFA Tax stamps and I highly doubt any ban will cover that area. Instead they will increase the price of the stamp. Don't worry about it and enjoy the opportunity's we still have. You only live once and you can't take it with you. :smoke:

I built my AMD65 pistol on a NDS receiver, I've been pleased with it (have another AK waiting to get riveted when I have time).

I think the AK pistol is very useful, in the Sheeples Replublic of Iowa I can't own a SBR, and to be quite honest, when we were getting followed home at night from work by Mexicano gang bangers, it was the AK pistol that sat in my passenger seat, 30 round mag(it now sports a 75 round drum), will punch through vehicles with ease, has a muzzle blast that could peel paint, accurate enough at close range, and legal to carry loaded in the car with my CCW made it the perfect choice. The pistol is as accurate as the rifle, it is just harder to shoot as well (A sling really helps in that dept.). It is what it is, I don't expect it to shoot like a rifle and it hasn't let me down yet, AND, it's an AK, so it's been 100% reliable.

YMMV.

I mean, I've bought a few new guns, but I think licensing and tax stamps take it to another level. Is this an incorrect assumption?

You've filled out a 4473, you're on a list if it exists. I'm certain I'm on a list and I could give a shit. :ded:

The NDS receivers are second to none. :smoke:

AK (and other) pistols may not be practical, but they sure are a hell of alot of fun to build and shoot. The VZ on the lower left is my most recent build and I was doing better at 100 with it than the fudds next to me with their scoped practicalrifles. As long as you're able to work with the sights, it's as practical as you make it to be. :devil:

pistols2.JPG

Thanks for all the info, guys. Surly, you got quite a collection.

So, hypothetically, if I wanted to build a SBR with this kit, would I need just a tax stamp, or would I need something else to actually construct the thing myself? Like a license to manufacture an SBR?

Thanks for all the info, guys. Surly, you got quite a collection.

So, hypothetically, if I wanted to build a SBR with this kit, would I need just a tax stamp, or would I need something else to actually construct the thing myself? Like a license to manufacture an SBR?

If you're gonna do it yourself, you'll need to send in the form to manufacture an NFA weapon. The tax stamp and cost is the same whether you buy or build.

Do you know off the top of your head what form I would need to fill out to do this?
Form 1 to build. This costs $200 no matter if you're building an AOW or any other type of NFA weapon (it's considered a manufacturing tax).

Form 4 to buy one already built. This is the one you fill out for the $5 AOW taxed guns, too.

Do you know off the top of your head what form I would need to fill out to do this?
Form 1 to build. This costs $200 no matter if you're building an AOW or any other type of NFA weapon (it's considered a manufacturing tax).

Form 4 to buy one already built. This is the one you fill out for the $5 AOW taxed guns, too.

Thanks dude. You're an endless source of knowledge. BTW, what does AOW stand for? I've been wondering for quite a while.

Thanks dude. You're an endless source of knowledge. BTW, what does AOW stand for? I've been wondering for quite a while.

Any

Other

Weapon

Okay, so if I wanted to put a stock on this thing and make it an SBR, I would download and fill out form 1, send it and $200 to the ATF, and wait for approval. Then I could continue as needed. Is this correct?
Basicly, yes.

Before you jump into this, I suggest you jump into some NFA-centric forum and find out the nitty gritty on all this, and the pros and cons to the various ways of getting it done.

Okay, so if I wanted to put a stock on this thing and make it an SBR, I would download and fill out form 1, send it and $200 to the ATF, and wait for approval. Then I could continue as needed. Is this correct?
Basicly, yes.

Before you jump into this, I suggest you jump into some NFA-centric forum and find out the nitty gritty on all this, and the pros and cons to the various ways of getting it done.

Will do. I understand that there are certain aspects concerning transporting the thing, especially across state lines, along with local LEO approval, if I'm not mistaken.

Can you direct me towards a decent site where I could obtain this info, or should I just google it?

Basicly, yes.

Will do. I understand that there are certain aspects concerning transporting the thing, especially across state lines, along with local LEO approval, if I'm not mistaken.

Can you direct me towards a decent site where I could obtain this info, or should I just google it?

I'll bet those boys at barfcom have something to read on it (put on your boots before you visit)

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17

Right to the trust issue: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199942

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Those ought to get you started.