What should I have to prepair for WTSHTF

I am not overley paranoid, but I do believe in preparing for the worst. I was wondering if someone one out there might have a list of things I should have if it all goes south.

Opinions welcome, but I am hoping someone with real knowlege will chime in. for example: How much ammo should a stockpile? How much food for a family of 3? How much water? Should I invest in body armor? What kind of meds should I keep on hand? Is a hamb radio a good investment? I am not talking theory I am seriously trying to prepare. I am hoping I never need this stuff, but I refuse to be one of those dumb asses standing in a mile long line fighting for handouts from our government agencies.(watch footage of hurricane Ike if you don't believe it can happen). So anyway I am lookng for any help. Maybe there is something I have not thought of. DO YOU HAVE A PLAN?

While I don't think the SWHTF anytime soon, a certain lever of preparedness is probably a good plan.

As far as food goes, if you have a Mormon friend, they have got long term food storage and calculations down to a science.

I had a buddy I worked with who was a Mormon and he had 6 kids. They had a storeroom with one years food.

As far as water, that is tough for long term storage unless chlorinated. I have a year round creek through my 5 acres and a wood stove/ Heat, cooking, boil water.

Guns and ammo, wow. That's a big controversy. I have a Saiga .223, an M4 .223, an Underwood M1 carbine, and a Glock 19. I also have a Ruger 10-22 and a scoped 30-30 for hunting, though I still need to replace my shotgun. I have at least 25 high caps for the AR and the M1 carbine, half a dozen for the Glock, but only 7 so far for the Saiga.

I now keep at least 1,000 rounds per gun (so that's 2,000 .223) except 30-30 which I now reload. I would like about 5,000 and reloading components for all calibers which I am starting to accumulate.

Preparedness can be a good thing. WHen I lived at 2400 ft at the end of a long dirt road out in the foothills of the Sierras in Kalifornia, I had a car load of hairy-scary goblins pull into my property one night at about 2 AM with the lights out. Before they got out, I stepped onto the front porch with my M1 carbine with two 30s taped together at the high ready and said "Hello boys!" :smoke: They rather suddenly decided to exit stage right, slammed it into reverse, hit the boulders lining the driveway several times in their haste to turn around and un-a** the area, and departed without even saying so much as a hello! How rude is that? Amazing what you can achieve with a polite greeting and loaded highcap semi-auto rifle.

I guess 20 years LE and 5 yrs military had something to do with my approach to the situation. That experience told me to make contact before they dismounted the vehicle! They were definitely at a SERIOUS disadvantage confined in the car and I think they realized it.

Edited by imarangemaster
OH BOY, NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE...........................................

Yes, another one of 'these'. The OP is voicing a valid concern. This is one of the many places that he can get the info that he is looking for. Someone will be able to offer some information that he may not have even thought of, and what is commendable is he is thinking of his family. So why do you have to be a dick and post what you did? It offered zero help to someone who is asking for it. :evil:

For the OP:

I would look at some good first aid kits, and I mean GOOD kits. Something that will have plenty of stock to keep you and your family in supplies for a long time. Plenty of band-aids, bandages, cotton, aspirin, needles, thread, surgical blades, tourniquets, ACE bandages, etc...

Stock up some MREs, too. Get enough that you and your family will not go hungry for at least 3 months.

Wool blankets, clothing, undergarments, gloves, safety goggles, etc.

Knives! Gerber or Leatherman tools, Swiss Army-style knives, etc.

Signaling devices; whistles, flares, metal mirrors, etc.

Water purification system: look at high-end camping gear for something quality and portable.

Ammo: AT LEAST 200 rounds for any weapon that you are going to carry, and something to carry the ammo in.

Couple of sling shots and extra bands.

Air-tight, vaccuumable poly bags.

Flash lights and batteries, and even look into the kind of lights that you can shake to energize.

This is just a very rough outline of things. Do more searches and you will find a lot more ideas.

Edited by TR Young
While I don't think the SWHTF anytime soon, a certain lever of preparedness is probably a good plan.

As far as food goes, if you have a Mormon friend, they have got long term food storage and calculations down to a science.

I had a buddy I worked with who was a Mormon and he had 6 kids. They had a storeroom with one years food.

As far as water, that is tough for long term storage unless chlorinated. I have a year round creek through my 5 acres and a wood stove/ Heat, cooking, boil water.

Guns and ammo, wow. That's a big controversy. I have a Saiga .223, an M4 .223, an Underwood M1 carbine, and a Glock 19. I also have a Ruger 10-22 and a scoped 30-30 for hunting, though I still need to replace my shotgun. I have at least 25 high caps for the AR and the M1 carbine, half a dozen for the Glock, but only 7 so far for the Saiga.

I now keep at least 1,000 rounds per gun (so that's 2,000 .223) except 30-30 which I now reload. I would like about 5,000 and reloading components for all calibers which I am starting to accumulate.

Preparedness can be a good thing. WHen I lived at 2400 ft at the end of a long dirt road out in the foothills of the Sierras in Kalifornia, I had a car load of hairy-scary goblins pull into my property one night at about 2 AM with the lights out. Before they got out, I stepped onto the front porch with my M1 carbine with two 30s taped together at the high ready and said "Hello boys!" :smoke: They rather suddenly decided to exit stage right, slammed it into reverse, hit the boulders lining the driveway several times in their haste to turn around and un-a** the area, and departed without even saying so much as a hello! How rude is that? Amazing what you can achieve with a polite greeting and loaded highcap semi-auto rifle.

I guess 20 years LE and 5 yrs military had something to do with my approach to the situation. That experience told me to make contact before they dismounted the vehicle! They were definitely at a SERIOUS disadvantage confined in the car and I think they realized it.

Excellent advice, Sir. I lived in Kalifornia for way too many years, and always kept extra water, food, batteries, etc., for use in case a major earthquake shut things down. You know what? I was pretty unique - none of my neighbors or co-workers put away anything extra, and my sister's family (two adults & three kids) figured a couple of gallons of water under the stairs would be enough (in reality, it would last them maybe one morning, if things shut down).

In other parts of the country you might be looking at hurricanes, ice storms, tornadoes, whatever - keep in mind that life gets a lot less simple if you don't have power & running water.

My advice to anyone interested (which is worth everything you paid for it ;>) - start with stuff you can use whether there's an emergency or not. Think about what you go through in an average week. That might mean extra canned food (buy stuff you actually eat), toilet paper, batteries, gasoline, ammo, reloading supplies, over-the-counter or prescription meds, etc. And please don't forget your wife!

Also don't forget the water - it's basically free out of the tap, and if you can't afford large food-grade containers to store it in, think about empty 2-3 liter soda bottles. Clean 'em out good, and fill 'em up as they become available (with a little chlorine added - see internet sources).

Once you get that stuff stocked up to whatever comfort level fits you, think about extras. Extras can be important. I've got a toilet seat that fits a 5 gallon bucket (with lots & lots of trash bags ;>), a crank-powered radio, solar battery charger, even spare parts for a few of my firearms, etc. None of that stuff costs very much, but would sure be nice to have if the power & water stopped flowing.

When you get the cheap stuff covered, think about your own needs. I would personally recommend a gasoline or diesel generator. That might depend on your budget & location, but I for one love civilization! One place we lived had a water well, so I figured a generator would be good to run the well pump.

Finally, don't forget the 'intangibles.' If the power & water go down, it would be best if you were already on good terms with your neighbors, and knew which ones were straight shooters, and which ones (if any) were unreliable flakes, etc.

FWIW...

Edited by Bad Bob

Yes, another one of 'these'. Blah,Blah,Blah........................

and Gun owners often wonder why we are thought of as lunatics.

SHTF????????????????

Well... if we are talking natural disaster, the best way of avoiding this is to EVACUATE before said natural disaster hits. If we are talking defending our compound when the black dressed commandos (the nutz call them the national security force) come. Well, just have lil johnny defend the back porch and lil mary the side approach, cant see why a small family couldn't hold out against an assault force. :haha:

Oh, By the way...

Get generic Immodium (anti diarrheal) from Walmart in 100 count bulk cheap. Unsanitary conditions of a societal break- down and bad water can cause BAD runs (been there, that why I caution on stored water)!

Antibiotics, possible source.

You can get Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, and Cephlexine (Keflex) online from Vet supply houses W/O prescription FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY (legal disclaimer) Go to Amazon.com and type in"Fishcillin", "Fishcycline" "Fishmox" Fishflex" etc. We had a kennel business and bought bottles of 100-500 to have on hand. WHile I have excellent insurance and didn't need them, I found they were identical to what were were getting with out $5 co-pay on the insurance. :unsure:

SHTF????????????????

Well... if we are talking natural disaster, the best way of avoiding this is to EVACUATE before said natural disaster hits. If we are talking defending our compound when the black dressed commandos (the nutz call them the national security force) come. Well, just have lil johnny defend the back porch and lil mary the side approach, cant see why a small family couldn't hold out against an assault force. :haha:

LOL.Thats a good one

Thanks for the positive feed back. Some of these things I did not think about. The toilet seat is a good one. I have about 4 acres so an out house could be built pretty easy. There is a small lake 2 miles from the house if I get desperate for water. The problem is people are stupid by nature. It wouldnt take long for people to fuck it up with trash and sewage if the power and water stopped flowing. Thanks for the heads up on the anitbiotics. I was wondersing where I could get some from. I have some friends in the service and they collect mre's when they can for me. I would like to get a gas generator. All it takes is one ice storm to lose power. I think I will work on the first aid kit next. I buy a box of ammo when I am in academy wether I need it or not. Trying to keep at least 200 rounds per weapon. The sling shot is a good idea, I am going to buy a cheap 22 for hunting small game like rabbits and such. Like I said I hope it doesnt happen. But the way things are going. Not just with the new pres. I think society as a whole. The global economy as a whole is in the dumper. Better safe than sorry. Remember the have nots will try to take away yours.

SHTF????????????????

Hey jackass... you can prepare for something WITHOUT looking or acting like a lunatic. God forbid anything ever should happen that you or I or anyone else need to survive without the comforts of being able to drive to your local WalMart or convenience store or whatever, but if that day ever does come, be it because of terrorist attack or natural disaster (by the way, now much time do you think you are given for an earth quake or similar disaster to 'evacuate', huh wise ass??) or whatever, it'll be assholes like you who go begging for help and end up with no place to turn.

And the weapons won't necessarily be to hold off an 'assault force'. Ever think about having to shoot your food? How about looters who want to steal from you or harm your family?

Ya dumbass fuckstick asshat anyway.

Edited by TR Young
For the OP:

I would look at some good first aid kits, and I mean GOOD kits. Something that will have plenty of stock to keep you and your family in supplies for a long time. Plenty of band-aids, bandages, cotton, aspirin, needles, thread, surgical blades, tourniquets, ACE bandages, etc...

Stock up some MREs, too. Get enough that you and your family will not go hungry for at least 3 months.

Wool blankets, clothing, undergarments, gloves, safety goggles, etc.

Knives! Gerber or Leatherman tools, Swiss Army-style knives, etc.

Signaling devices; whistles, flares, metal mirrors, etc.

Water purification system: look at high-end camping gear for something quality and portable.

Ammo: AT LEAST 200 rounds for any weapon that you are going to carry, and something to carry the ammo in.

Couple of sling shots and extra bands.

Air-tight, vaccuumable poly bags.

Flash lights and batteries, and even look into the kind of lights that you can shake to energize.

This is just a very rough outline of things. Do more searches and you will find a lot more ideas.

More excellent advice!

SHTF????????????????

Hey jackass... you can prepare for something WITHOUT looking or acting like a lunatic. God forbid anything ever should happen that you or I or anyone else need to survive without the comforts of being able to drive to your local WalMart or convenience store or whatever, but if that day ever does come, be it because of terrorist attack or natural disaster (by the way, now much time do you think you are given for an earth quake or similar disaster to 'evacuate', huh wise ass??) or whatever, it'll be assholes like you who go begging for help and end up with no place to turn.

Not Likely :haha:

SHTF????????????????

And the weapons won't necessarily be to hold off an 'assault force'. Ever think about having to shoot your food? How about looters who want to steal from you or harm your family?

You sure are such and URBAN BADAZZ........ :haha:

SHTF????????????????

It is probably news to you, but there are certain natural disasters that are impossible to avoid by evacuating. Ever hear about Kalifornia evacuating any cities ahead of major earthquakes? No? (By the way, I went through the Northridge quake, the Whittier Narrows quake, the San Fernando quake, and more of the small ones than I can remember). How about all of the folks back east who have been without power (and probably without water, after their pipes froze) for the last week or more? Hear about any of those towns evacuating? No? Why is that?

As for defending your home, I also saw the Rodney King riots from right next door. The business owners and home owners that defended themselves (we're talking firearms here) did OK - the ones who didn't got looted, and a lot of them got burned out, and some of them had family members assaulted or killed.

"Lunatics?" I think that term can be best applied to folks like you, who don't have a clue about even recent American history, apparently don't have a clue about reality, and don't seem to know what the heck they're talking about...

Bob, he's a lifer troll type. Probably sitting in his parent's attic in his room posting his trash to see who he can get a rise out of. I think I'll treat him as such, even if he's not, and put him on the ignore list. People like him think that they know everything will be ok and they have never, ever been put out.

I was smack in the middle of Hurricane Andrew and I know what natural disasters are like and I have seen the looting and the general ignorance of the 'less fortunate people' and how they act. I wish I was a CCW holder back then because I would have helped a few people defend what was left of their homes.

SHTF????????????????

You sure are such and URBAN BADAZZ........ :haha:

Glad I am able to start a good open discussion. This post is a great case study and brings home my point. How long did it take before you were at each other? Not long, now just imagine how we are going to act when the lights go out and your family is looking at you to protect and feed them.

Oh, By the way...

Get generic Immodium (anti diarrheal) from Walmart in 100 count bulk cheap. Unsanitary conditions of a societal break- down and bad water can cause BAD runs (been there, that why I caution on stored water)!

Antibiotics, possible source.

You can get Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, and Cephlexine (Keflex) online from Vet supply houses W/O prescription FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY (legal disclaimer) Go to Amazon.com and type in"Fishcillin", "Fishcycline" "Fishmox" Fishflex" etc. We had a kennel business and bought bottles of 100-500 to have on hand. WHile I have excellent insurance and didn't need them, I found they were identical to what were were getting with out $5 co-pay on the insurance. :unsure:

More excellent info, particularly regarding the 'runs.' That kind of thing can dehydrate & literally kill you (we also keep powdered Gatorade in the pantry). If you happen to be near the Mexican border, you might be able to get antibiotics over the counter if you're willing to cross into Mexico (although I hear you need a passport now). Be aware of your own allergies, if any (I'm allergic to Penicillin-type antibiotics, for example)...

...This post is a great case study and brings home my point. How long did it take before you were at each other? Not long, now just imagine how we are going to act when the lights go out and your family is looking at you to protect and feed them.

Like I said, some folks are straight shooters, and some are flakes...

;>)

SHTF????????????????

It is probably news to you, but there are certain natural disasters that are impossible to avoid by evacuating. Ever hear about Kalifornia evacuating any cities ahead of major earthquakes? No? (By the way, I went through the Northridge quake, the Whittier Narrows quake, the San Fernando quake, and more of the small ones than I can remember). How about all of the folks back east who have been without power (and probably without water, after their pipes froze) for the last week or more? Hear about any of those towns evacuating? No? Why is that?

As for defending your home, I also saw the Rodney King riots from right next door. The business owners and home owners that defended themselves (we're talking firearms here) did OK - the ones who didn't got looted, and a lot of them got burned out, and some of them had family members assaulted or killed.

"Lunatics?" I think that term can be best applied to folks like you, who don't have a clue about even recent American history, apparently don't have a clue about reality, and don't seem to know what the heck they're talking about...

What good are your 400 pounds of foodstuffs when your house is in rubble and you can't get at it, if you happened to survive in the first place. Looting...... one dead looter, or hungry neighbor, in your driveway is probably sufficient as a deterrent. However if they are determined 8 ounces of gas and 1 match in the dark would set you straight for your victory. As for power outages, been there done that, RECENTLY (NE resident speaking).

Anyone else in the military, With any real amount of time outside the wire, want to chime in about the hopelessnes of a handfull of civilians defending a static location against an even half-assed determined breach.

Edited by Pointer55
Bob, he's a lifer troll type. Probably sitting in his parent's attic in his room posting his trash to see who he can get a rise out of. I think I'll treat him as such, even if he's not, and put him on the ignore list. People like him think that they know everything will be ok and they have never, ever been put out.

I was smack in the middle of Hurricane Andrew and I know what natural disasters are like and I have seen the looting and the general ignorance of the 'less fortunate people' and how they act. I wish I was a CCW holder back then because I would have helped a few people defend what was left of their homes.

A CCW license would be a good Idea (something I should do where I live now). I remember some of those shop owners during the Rodney King riots, standing up on the roofs of their businesses, and keeping the looters & assorted criminal scum away with shotguns & rifles (I remember one guy using an over-under ;>). Sad thing, though: a lot of them got harassed by law enforcement after the riots (I'm guessing a CCW would have helped them in that regard - not that you can actually get one in Kalifornia, unless you're a Democrat politician like Diane Feinswein).

That brings back some memories - the cops directing traffic at the stores that were being looted (chasing the looters out - temporarily - but arresting absolutely no one); the National Guard showing up days late (and ordered to patrol without ammunition in their weapons - I kid you not! - a couple of poor troopers had their M-16s AND THEIR PANTS stolen by some South Central scumbags); and the business owners protecting everything they owned in the world, with loaded firearms. IMHO, the business owners were a h@ll of a lot more effective than the cops & the NG...

Edited by Bad Bob
What good are your 400 pounds of foodstuffs when your house is in rubble and you can't get at it, if you happened to survive in the first place. Looting...... one dead looter, or hungry neighbor, in your driveway is probably sufficient as a deterrent. However if they are determined 8 ounces of gas and 1 match in the dark would set you straight for your victory. As for power outages, been there done that, RECENTLY (NE resident speaking).

Who said anything about "400 pounds of foodstuffs?" If you go through 400 pounds of food in a week (or even in a month), you must be quite the sight to behold!

And who said anything about the house being "in rubble?" It doesn't take much to knock down the power & water, quake or storm wise. I worked with a guy whos house was basically totaled in the Whittier Narrows quake - didn't look bad at all (certainly not "rubble"), but it took him over $100,000 in repairs to get it back to code (and he did NOT have earthquake insurance).

Who said anything about shooting looters? Most of them head the other direction once they know you're armed (and from what I hear, the meaner & nastier looking your weapon is, the faster they depart). Have to shoot someone to protect your own life, or the lives of your neighbors & family? Better that than the alternative.

As for "8 ounces of gas and 1 match in the dark," you seem to be the one picturing yourself hiding out alone, in some sort of "compound." Personally, I would not be in the dark; I would definitely be working with my neighbors; and if looters or rioters were a problem (like I saw in Kalifornia), I would be splitting 24-hr neighborhood watch duty with those same neighbors.

Like I said, maybe you ought to review a little recent US history...

Who said anything about "400 pounds of foodstuffs?" If you go through 400 pounds of food in a week (or even in a month), you must be quite the sight to behold!

And who said anything about the house being "in rubble?" It doesn't take much to knock down the power & water, quake or storm wise. I worked with a guy whos house was basically totaled in the Whittier Narrows quake - didn't look bad at all (certainly not "rubble"), but it took him over $100,000 in repairs to get it back to code (and he did NOT have earthquake insurance).

Who said anything about shooting looters? Most of them head the other direction once they know you're armed (and from what I hear, the meaner & nastier looking your weapon is, the faster they depart). Have to shoot someone to protect your own life, or the lives of your neighbors & family? Better that than the alternative.

As for "8 ounces of gas and 1 match in the dark," you seem to be the one picturing yourself hiding out alone, in some sort of "compound." Personally, I would not be in the dark; I would definitely be working with my neighbors; and if looters or rioters were a problem (like I saw in Kalifornia), I would be splitting 24-hr neighborhood watch duty with those same neighbors.

Like I said, maybe you ought to review a little recent US history...

I agree with you on your points, however "recent history events", I would not describe as SHTF, maybe temporary (when all parties know order will be restored sooner rather than later) farts. Shtf, when using terms like ammo stockpiles, body armor, ham radios,ect. seem to denote a more lengthy period of total breakdown, IMHO anyways. And WHO in this country does not have at least a month of food in their house anyways?

Edited by Pointer55
Anyone else in the military, With any real amount of time outside the wire, want to chime in about the hopelessnes of a handfull of civilians defending a static location against an even half-assed determined breach.

You might also ask how many looters/scumbags are going to risk their sorry @sses trying to mess with a well-prepared group of armed business/home owners, when the looters/scumbags can go a few blocks over and find dozens of clueless victims who are neither armed nor prepared.

("Time outside the wire?" "Static location?" As noted above, you seem to be the one with the 'hordes of zombies attacking the fortified compound' mentality.)

By the way, if you think it's a piece of cake to break into an average home, when the home owner is at home and armed, and NOT get shot doing it, just read a few of the news articles the NRA posts every month...

I agree with you on your points, however "recent history events", I would not describe as SHTF, maybe temporary (when all parties know order will be restored sooner rather than later) farts. Shtf, when using terms like ammo stockpiles, body armor, ham radios,ect. seem to denote a more lengthy period of total breakdown, IMHO anyways. And WHO in this country does not have at least a month of food in their house anyways?

Whatever. I buy ammo when it's cheap - some folks would call that a "stockpile." I've got a couple of hand-held CB radios, that we use when we're traveling (plus, I figured it would be good to have some kind of communications available if the power/cell towers/phone lines went down during a quake). "Ham radio?" Why not? I worked for a guy in Kalifornia who loved ham radio. Guess you would need a generator for one of those.

How long is "more lengthy," and what's a "total breakdown?" If you or a family member gets hurt or killed, I would guess that it was long enough & total enough, even if it was a one-day "temporary fart." The Rodney King riots went on for days, the mess after the Northridge quake went on for weeks, and I'm guessing New Orleans wasn't a very safe place to be for even longer than that. As for a real month's worth of food, my wife & I are the only people we know who might come close (and that's mostly because she likes cooking with things like oats & wheat, and grinding her own flour fresh, when she needs it, so it doesn't go rancid). Most people might have enough Crisco & Heinz 57 in the cupboard to last a month, but (based on my experience in Kalifornia) when it comes to real food, they wouldn't make it a week, especially with the refrigerator not working, and no water in the pipes...

Nothing wrong with being prepared for the unknown (weather or riots) and don't forget the gas masks. If terrisots attack or something as simple as a dangerous gas leak.

After Katrina hit our own goverment went on tv and said everone should have at least 3-5 days of supplies till they (the government) can get in to help.

Just my 2 cents worth, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Since we're on the subject:

The ultimate in zombie defense: the AR-15 semi-automatic with chainsaw bayonet

http://www.gizmag.com/the-ultimate-in-zomb...-bayonet/10524/

December 5, 2008 The bayonet is largely a weapon of last resort - when the rifle jams, the ammunition runs out or the fighting gets to close quarters, you've still got something sharp and pointy to get the job done old-school. They've pretty much disappeared from today's more high-tech battlefields, but that doesn't mean there aren't mavericks out there still pushing the envelope - and we can't think of many inventions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/invention we've seen lately that would be more exciting to a 10-year-old schoolboy than this: the chainsaw bayonet. Whether you view this as blatant redneck idiocy or the coolest weapon in the world will largely depend on how much you enjoy wanton destruction - and if there's a more appropriate gun out there to be included in Gears Of War 3, we'd love to hear about it.

The idea is so simple we're surprised we haven't seen it before: take one AR15 semi-automatic rifle, and bolt a god-damned electric chainsaw to the front of it, thus combining 5.56mm firepower and supreme limb-hacking melee slaughter in one neat package. This could be the ultimate zombie-defense weapon for the new millennium.

The electric chainsaw seems a little underwhelming in the demonstration videos (we're not sure if an enemy combatant would be so polite as to wait there while you sawed his leg off), but that's simply a matter of getting a bigger battery pack and uprating the engine.

And if that's not murderous enough for you, the chainsaw bayonet's creators are looking to up the ante with their next creation, which will be a circular saw bayonet. We can't wait to see that one. Only in America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_in_America ! Enjoy the video...

post-3931-1230157479_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

Let's at least be civil to each other.

The most likely scenario is most civil disturbance (not total SHTF), earthquake of non-evacuatable disorder.

I have 20 years full time LE (most in Kalifornia) and five military. After retiring, I taught History in N Central Kalifornia, then relocated back to Illinois 1 1/2 years ago. I now teach American Government and Civics in a North st; Louis "hood" high school. Civil disorder is just under the surface in many large metro areas. Guns and gangs are in our schools more than you know. I had a freshman girl arrested with a loaded .25 Auto (uninformed choice on her part) in her purse after she left my class. Most students won't stand for the pledge of allegiance or the National Anthem. I had several students tell me to my face that they hoped Obama lost so they could "riot like Watts"!

I live on 5 acres out in the country (farm land and woods) with several other neighbors within a half mile. We network very well, and look out for each other. If it did melt down for some reason, it would probably be limited, but roving bands showed them selves after Katrina. Probably being alert and just doing what I did in Kalifornia with the car load of goblins would be sufficient. Being present and showing "presence" instead of fear.

I have met some nutbags that would live for the opportunity to blast away at raving insurrectionists. Not my style. "Si vis pacem, para bellum" Sun Tzu in "Art of War" said the best battle is the one you win without ever having to fight, like my confrontation with the goblins in my yard. Not a shot was fired, and the threat ceased. If it had escalated, I was prepared to terminate any lethal threat if left no alternative. It was unnecessary, no paperwork, no police, no lawsuits.

In my career, I have been shot at, and been in numerous other lethal confrontations (high risk warrants, assaults, and raids), and they are not even the slightest bit fun. Only an idiot likes almost being killed or killing. I wheeze permanently because a Hells Angle, three striker who had done time for murder (but was out on parole) tried to strangle me on a traffic stop and crushed my larynx. (I won, he lost) It has been ten years since I retired and the nightmares are only half a dozen times a year or so now. This is not a "been there, done that" post, but rather a statement of realities.

I would not hesitate to use the Saiga 223 (that has now replaced the carbine as my home/farm gun) to defend myself or loved ones, but prefer to overcome by winning before it is fought. Most important is not weaponry, though. It is the everyday needs that the reasonable members of this list have suggested.

Now let's all get along and be respectful of each other. I see enough disrespect in my students ever day to last a lifetime. I would not care for us to disrespect each other here.